Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 07:22 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,813,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
You mean, this is offensive to you?
Nope. In fact, I like one of the contemporary churches I go to (for those familiar with Dallas area churches... Irving Bible Church). Could do without the glitter though. I really like the pastor, and his presentation. Unfortunately, he isn't doing very well (health wise).

Then there is another, not too far and in my neighborhood, the Fellowship Church. Not really a church, more like a business establishment (and the pastor has managed to surround himself with major controversies).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2010, 08:23 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,297,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Why does it matter? He appropriately mentions Luke 12:33...

Do you disagree with the above verse?

I'm questioning whether John Shore "walks the talk", is all.

And, no, I don't particularly agree with the quote above as it is interpreted. Sounds too much like communism. If I sell all my possessions and give to the poor then my ability to give in the future reaches a screeching halt, as would the things I enjoy in life.

The working people already supports those in poor situations: Welfare, food stamps, community charities, and state/local assistance. Oregon has a large canned food bank sponsored by large events and those who attend them. And as I said in my last post, to provide charitable money, one has to have it in the first place.

The big issue now, is the scarcity of JOBS. And I could get into a whole diatribe over that one, but it would derail into a whole other thread. . . .

Old 05-07-2010, 08:29 PM

4,604 posts, read 8,230,523 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysB
Christians, good or bad, don't fail at being Christians. You may not like their practice of faith, but then, their faith none of your business.
True, but when boundaries are crossed it does become everyones business, now doesn't it?
I suspect that would depend on the boundary, whose boundary and why it might have been crossed and whether or not it is everyone's business.

Not having your hypothetical at hand, I'd say no, it does not.

Old 05-07-2010, 08:34 PM

218 posts, read 239,527 times
meh...really not that impressive.

Old 05-07-2010, 08:35 PM

4,829 posts, read 6,929,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.J. MacReady View Post
John Shore: Ten Ways Christians Tend to Fail at Being Christian

Very interesting article with some solid points. Wish I could post the whole list on here but guess you'll all have to hit the link for the article
Some points are very valid, others not so much. The biggest problem with Christianity today is Christianity today. Too many charlatans, too many Sadducees, Pharisees, and money changers. The church has lost it's way and thus the condition of our nation presently. If we, the church repent and turn from our wicked ways We may once again be a great nation. Until then we will continue on our downward slide.

Old 05-07-2010, 08:36 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,780,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysB View Post
I suspect that would depend on the boundary, whose boundary and why it might have been crossed and whether or not is everyone's business.

Not having your hypothetical at hand, I'd say no, it does not.
Being Christian is a voluntary act of free will. You either commit yourself with your own life on your own dime or you do not. When they take it upon themselves to dictate to others outside their community is when boundaries are crossed.

Old 05-07-2010, 08:43 PM

51 posts, read 78,448 times
Well, from what I read in his article, he's pretty much right. I'm not Christian, I'm Agnostic but my wife is Christian and we've had plenty of debates, which usually come down to "whats wrong with people trying to live a good life?". Nothing, nothing at all and honestly I can kind of agree with the principals of Christianity..dont lie, cheat , steal, kill..etc. I'm just not big on religion, everyone claims thier religion is peaceful and loving yet religion has been responsible for more death than anything.

There are only two things that irritate me me about the religion, #1 Hypocrisy and #2 Pushy Christians - those people who you meet for the first time and they introduce themselves by "Have you accepted Jesus as your lord and Savior?" or something similar. If you want to try and convince someone to hear you out then this is the wrong way to go about it. If you want me to hear it then ease it into a casual conversation, dont push it in my face and start asking why I dont believe. I dont believe because intellectually I can not force myself to try and believe that there is a magical guy in the sky that nobody can see and he created everything, he's omnipotent but yet he could only create one son..and yadda yadda and so forth.

It's not just Christians, Mormons on Bicycles and Jehovah Witnesses knockin on my door make me crazy too. lol

but yeh the guy really has some valid points..

Old 05-07-2010, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccersupporter View Post
Some points are very valid, others not so much. The biggest problem with Christianity today is Christianity today. Too many charlatans, too many Sadducees, Pharisees, and money changers. The church has lost it's way and thus the condition of our nation presently. If we, the church repent and turn from our wicked ways We may once again be a great nation. Until then we will continue on our downward slide.
When you examine in depth where it all went so horribly wrong with the Sanhedrin you discover that a noble cause was corrupted by men who became committed to preserving an institution & their tenure, and not the principles for which it stood.

This also serves as a metaphor for how things go wrong with individuals within the flock.

Old 05-07-2010, 08:53 PM

218 posts, read 239,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
Being Christian is a voluntary act of free will.
ppffffffffffffftttttttt.

There goes your omnipotent and omnipresent god.....

Old 05-07-2010, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Moor View Post
ppffffffffffffftttttttt.

There goes your omnipotent and omnipresent god.....
You'll have to explain yourself better. That logic doesn't add up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality