Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 12:59 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,576,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hueffenhardt View Post
When I was a believer, I was a very devout believer and I would have done anything I thought God wanted me to do. I was Mormon, and Mormons don't have monasteries. But, had I been Catholic, or whatnot, I could have easily been the type of person to become a Jesuit.

I saw a documentary on monasteries a year or so ago. Young people were trying out that lifestyle to see if they wanted to commit to it. Very interesting.

As it is, I am now an atheist, and am very thankful to have a wife and kids. When I think of all the devotion I gave and sacrifices I made to a god that does not exist, it seems like such a waste. There was no all-seeing eye that noticed or appreciated my devotion. I was bowing before an imaginary friend. There will be no reward for all that I did for god. All the scriptures I read and studied and memorized - all for nought. All my faith and repentance and strivings to be a better disciple - what a waste! The only thing that wasn't pointless was the people I helped (but that was only a small part of all I did because I believed). Countless hours at church learning about what amounts to a complex fiction. I suppose there were some universal truths about the human condition, but they were not what current believers consider the universal truths.
That's fine, but my intent with this thread was largely to avoid another "is religion true or false" debate. There are many of those here, I did not wish another. (Although I'm unsurprised an atheist broke with this before a Fundie did)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2010, 09:37 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,764,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
very rich post.
you'd think sometimes the keys were handed over to Paul instead of Peter.
I think they probably were.

Monasticism. It's a choice. at least, it is now. Celibacy ain't natural. But as I have said elsewhere, natural doesn't neccessarily mean Good. I would never want to get into a philosophical tumbling act of saying that natural is better except where the unnatural happens to be a preference. Circular argument/special pleading, you see.

Nor would I want to use the 'If everybody did it..' argument because clearly, THAT is not our problem. It is more everyone doing It rather too much and without enough regard to the consequences.

So, if people want to join in celibate communities whether to serve their particular god or to escape from abusive husbands (but NOT to study Guerilla warfare manuals and do pipe - bomb fabrication - therapy) then I'm happy for them. Especially if they produce that fantastic perry.

Just so they don't roll up with a flapping robe and a funny haircut telling me that evidence - based science is wrong because they are happy how they are living. And they should pay their taxes, too.

Old 05-18-2010, 09:43 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,478,303 times
its lots lots harder than it seems. the basic premise. a group of your peers will judge you 24/7 from the time you get up til you go to sleep.
threat of getting kicked out or failing is major. failure in front of your family and community, the ones that sent you is a giant threat.
failure in front of everyone which will also reflect on your family. the pressure is enormous to succeed.
there too is the additional possibiity your organization could be corrupt so what they are preaching and teaching is not what they practice in the monastic program. they make rules for you to follow they in fact dont follow themselves.
a major problem.

Old 05-18-2010, 11:38 AM

4,511 posts, read 7,524,523 times
great observation. also the corallary for women in the overall collateral damage.

when in rome, do as the romans. rome was everywhere, since all roads were leading there.

Old 05-18-2010, 02:34 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,764,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
its lots lots harder than it seems. the basic premise. a group of your peers will judge you 24/7 from the time you get up til you go to sleep.
threat of getting kicked out or failing is major. failure in front of your family and community, the ones that sent you is a giant threat.
failure in front of everyone which will also reflect on your family. the pressure is enormous to succeed.
there too is the additional possibiity your organization could be corrupt so what they are preaching and teaching is not what they practice in the monastic program. they make rules for you to follow they in fact dont follow themselves.
a major problem.
A bit like the rest of life. Clearly the answer is to make it not such a big deal if you flunk out. Unfortunately, when people take the religious premises so darn seriously, they HAVE to make it a big deal. At least if they see a Big God with a disappointed frown glaring down at someone who failed to make Matins yet again.

So, maybe what the monastic thing needs is to remove the religious aspect. After all, isn't the reciting of texts a bit like the turning of the handle in prisons, just to give people something to fill in the time?

By all means a retreat, a community, singing Organum too, if it makes them happy, and some monasteries or even individuals can be celibate if they want.

But, yes, maybe it's time to take off the religious pressure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality