Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2007, 11:35 PM

1,413 posts, read 2,464,550 times

Advertisements

Repentance . . which to me means not just asking forgiveness for your sins, but is actually the process which leads you to turning away from your sins . . . this is easier than it sounds . . .

Can you tell me more about true repentance?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2007, 12:03 AM

3,684 posts, read 11,816,764 times
Repent means to turn away from sin, not do it again. I think you have to be sincerely remorseful, ask for forgiveness and then not repeat the sin to be forgiven.

I think it's really easy for some sins....think about it in daily life you don't often have a need to murder, commit adultery or worship other Gods...

Now when you get down to other sins it could become a problem:

Often we tell little white lies even if we aren't telling whoppers...ever made an excuse for being late, said you were sick to get out of something, told a friend their new purple hair looked wonderful on them?
Often we take the Lord's name in vain...come on have you ever stepped on a leggo in the middle of the night?
Often we take things that do not belong to us....have you ever taken a pen from a doctor's office, a towel from a hotel, etc.
Often we do not keep the Sabbath Holy....ever gone shopping after church because you didn't want to miss the big sale?

These are just a few that are hard to not repeat. But we are human and flawed so I'm pretty sure if when you ask for forgiveness you are sincere and give your best effort to not repeat that sin you are forgiven....at least until you do it again.

Old 06-17-2007, 05:17 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,698,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
Repent means to turn away from sin, not do it again. I think you have to be sincerely remorseful, ask for forgiveness and then not repeat the sin to be forgiven.

I think it's really easy for some sins....think about it in daily life you don't often have a need to murder, commit adultery or worship other Gods...

Now when you get down to other sins it could become a problem:

Often we tell little white lies even if we aren't telling whoppers...ever made an excuse for being late (yeah, the real reason! it may not be a good one, but it's the truth said you were sick to get out of something (no. I just said I'm not going/doing it, whatever), told a friend their new purple hair looked wonderful on them? nope, said nothing. "if you can't say anything nice. don't say anything at all". I'd be afraid she'd go purple next time again!
Often we take the Lord's name in vain...come on have you ever stepped on a leggo in the middle of the night? (nope. What's a leggo?
Often we take things that do not belong to us....have you ever taken a pen from a doctor's office, a towel from a hotel, etc. a pen? yes. especially if it writes nicely. Besides, I paid for it with part of my co-pay
Often we do not keep the Sabbath Holy....ever gone shopping after church because you didn't want to miss the big sale? it's called "good stewardship" Besides, the Holy Spirit goes with me, so it's OK

Thanks Irishmom - those were good examples. What do you say when you step on the leggo? Just curious...

Old 06-17-2007, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
Thanks Irishmom - those were good examples. What do you say when you step on the leggo? Just curious...
Believe me some of the words that come out of my mouth after stepping on a leggo in the middle of the night are not fit for anyone's ears!...

I have to know though...does the Holy Spirit get an extra % off on those sales or does he just like to browse?

Old 06-17-2007, 12:38 PM

23,018 posts, read 34,387,993 times
Repentance for a unbeliever means a change of mind and heart. The unbeliever is to change their mind about what they believe concerning Jesus Christ. They move from unbelief to belief that Jesus Christ paid the penalty for their sin. They trust Christ instead of their goodness for eternal life. After you receive Jesus Christ you will continue to repent as you grow in Christian faith and character. This repentance is a change of mind and heart that leads to change of behavior.

Old 06-17-2007, 06:37 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,698,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
I have to know though...does the Holy Spirit get an extra % off on those sales or does he just like to browse?

Irishmom, you got me. I only know that He's always with me, and I'm grateful for that.

Old 06-17-2007, 06:46 PM

1,413 posts, read 2,464,550 times
This repentance is a change of mind and heart that leads to change of behavior.

Yes, I am 100% believer now, and some behavior has changed, but I just listened to Greg Laurie on the radio, and he said, that if we keep repeating the same behavior, then we truly aren't repentful . . . .

I grew up in a family that screamed, cursed etc. Taking the name of God in vain was done every 10 minutes, and even though my parents went to a Catholic church, they did not consider this a sin . . . .

I've read scripture that it is, that the gifts of the Holy Spirit include patience, and I've read about foul mouths in Proverbs as well.

I have improved, but feel that my mouth is my stumbling block . . . I thought I was truly repentful . . . then something happened with one of my kids and I showed no patience . . . . and said things as if I stepped on one of their Legos . . . whcih is something I can relat to Irishmom.

Any advice on how you have truly turned away from things and fully repented . . . of course, I am praying about this as well . . . thanks.

Old 06-17-2007, 08:20 PM

23,018 posts, read 34,387,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesigns64 View Post
This repentance is a change of mind and heart that leads to change of behavior.

Yes, I am 100% believer now, and some behavior has changed, but I just listened to Greg Laurie on the radio, and he said, that if we keep repeating the same behavior, then we truly aren't repentful . . . .

I grew up in a family that screamed, cursed etc. Taking the name of God in vain was done every 10 minutes, and even though my parents went to a Catholic church, they did not consider this a sin . . . .

I've read scripture that it is, that the gifts of the Holy Spirit include patience, and I've read about foul mouths in Proverbs as well.

I have improved, but feel that my mouth is my stumbling block . . . I thought I was truly repentful . . . then something happened with one of my kids and I showed no patience . . . . and said things as if I stepped on one of their Legos . . . whcih is something I can relat to Irishmom.

Any advice on how you have truly turned away from things and fully repented . . . of course, I am praying about this as well . . . thanks.
Keep praying, reading your Bible, ask the Lord to help you and He will. He knows our weakness and is more than willing to help us and is He is very patient with us. You want to make a change, that is the first step. Lean on the Lord, He will help you.

Old 06-17-2007, 08:28 PM

2,136 posts, read 4,789,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Keep praying, reading your Bible, ask the Lord to help you and He will. He knows our weakness and is more than willing to help us and is He is very patient with us. You want to make a change, that is the first step. Lean on the Lord, He will help you.
I agree with ILNC. You have recognized your stumbling block. If it were me, I would get up each morning and ask God to forgive me of my sin, to help me with my patience, to be my words when I speak. I think this is something that we all fall short on, especially as parents. If each time your recognize that you have spoken in a hateful manner you ask the Lord to forgive you and give you strength, I believe that he will be there for you and this chain will finally be broken. Your children will not have to fight with this problem.

Old 06-17-2007, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherologist View Post
You have recognized your stumbling block.
See that's the problem...I actually do not recognize those leggos until AFTER I step on them! Hmmmm, maybe I should pray for night lights.

Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

Lifesigns do your best and learn from your mistakes, that's all we can do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality