Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 07:08 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,113,750 times

Advertisements

I personally don't think that GOD gives a SH$% one way or the other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2007, 07:55 PM

1,217 posts, read 4,034,103 times
I think the reason some Christians and some Christian churches don't approve of cremation is because it hearkens back to heathen religioins from eons past. However, as others have posted, the Bible says nothing about cremation. If someone, including a pastor, tells you it's a sin, then he/she is superimposing his/her beliefs onto you to get you to behave the way they want. God is more concerned with having a relationship with you and the rest of us; his concern for the disposal of your earthly "vessel" is not mentioned in the Bible. God is more concerned about important things.

Old 10-14-2007, 10:30 AM

1,396 posts, read 1,189,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrshvo View Post
I guess I was looking to see if anyone will say "you are going to he11 if you get your body cremated".
If we believe in Jesus Christ as our Saviour you can't go to Hell for what ever reason. Only God knows if your heart is pure and I have wondered this also sense in the Bible they seem to honor the dead.
It seems we have come much further with cremation and the availability of grave yards and now it seems to me they are even marketing our death. It's not cheap to be cremated either and burial cost are becoming ridiculous.

Old 10-14-2007, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticLady1 View Post
No, thank you, Padgett, I've read plenty about it, before. Not just from your postings, but from other websites. It is totally disgusting! I have no intention of being embalmed, and I've already promised extensive haunting to any family member who even contemplates it, when I die. Just put me in a nice, plain wood casket, and put me in the ground. Let my body do what it is supposed to do, naturally. Besides, why put more chemicals in the ground? I believe we've been sold a bill of goods from the funeral industry, about what should be classified as a decent funeral. I'll stick with a "green" burial!
Can you be buried with out the embalming? Just curious I would think they have to remove all the yuckyness from us!!

Old 10-14-2007, 10:46 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,624,668 times
wildberries61 wrote:
Quote:
Can you be buried with out the embalming?
No you can't. Being a mortician would not be my top choice as a career. I know I want to be cremated. The idea of wasting away to a skeleton as I lay there is my suit is not really appealing. I also hate the idea of a public viewing before the funeral. I just have this creepy feeling about dead people.

Old 10-14-2007, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
wildberries61 wrote:

No you can't. Being a mortician would not be my top choice as a career. I know I want to be cremated. The idea of wasting away to a skeleton as I lay there is my suit is not really appealing. I also hate the idea of a public viewing before the funeral. I just have this creepy feeling about dead people.
I have always felt looking a a dead body would be weird. It really hit home when my mom died 2 years ago and I couldn't believe my dad had an open casket and it was just hard to see her lying there even though she looked like she was sleeping.
The weirdest part was some of us had to go to the funeral home and we ended up in the same room with her discussing the funeral arrangement and she just wouldn't join in the conversation. So unlike her!!

Old 10-14-2007, 04:12 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,624,668 times
wildberries wrote:
Quote:
The weirdest part was some of us had to go to the funeral home and we ended up in the same room with her discussing the funeral arrangement and she just wouldn't join in the conversation. So unlike her!!
I swear that dead people are the most boring conversationalists I've ever seen. They don't seem to be interested in anything.

Old 10-14-2007, 05:19 PM

329 posts, read 1,442,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildberries61 View Post
Can you be buried with out the embalming? Just curious I would think they have to remove all the yuckyness from us!!
I am not sure what the legalities are but I saw first-hand someone dead without having been embalmed. A young woman of about 26 had passed away from Lupus and her family was very poor. They were Spanish and spoke almost no English. Since they could not afford a funeral, my pastor offered to help them with some of the expenses. Imagine our shock when we arrived at the wake to find an open casket and her lying there without having been embalmed (after 2 days dead). She was all blown up from the disease , but the most "frightening" (for lack of a better word) part about it was that the family members had to take turns wiping her nose which continuously ran. They had dressed her in this huge white cotillion-like gown. I guess it was more important that she have this bride-like dress than be embalmed. It was a sight to see and one I will never forget. Very sad.

Old 10-16-2007, 11:55 AM

218 posts, read 708,430 times
Default More Trash:Gonna have to pay Extra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
I am sure that it doesn't say anything about the modern day embalming process either. Or putting cosmetics on the face to pretty it up for viewing.

Or burial in a sealed casket inside a concrete or fiberglass vault. The Dust to Dust part of it, just won't happen.
yeah! I hear that. I think I'll change my old saying from "Put me inside a hefty and set me out with the trash" to "Put me inside a....??....... Thin card-board box.........."

Old 10-20-2007, 05:22 PM

659 posts, read 1,374,205 times
Having read all the above posts it brings to mind something that has caused quite a stir over on this side of the pond and something the churches have not yet responded too. High levels of Mercury has been causing concern amongst neighbours of crematoriums, fears of cancer are growing, government is now after all these years (saying we have learn't by this) started installing extractors in exhaust from process. Has any church in US answered this problem, sort of hell on Earth?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality