Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2011, 09:06 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,027,148 times

Advertisements

We're coming to work HAN and would like some info. We've not been in Reno since 2005 or so and not at HAN since 1991. We're staying in Sparks at a condo and just wondering what/if there's any "sketchy" areas to avoid and if HAN has settled down a bit since we were last there.
We stopped going when "rowdies" got out of control with fights and the PD started putting cops on all the hotel overhangs/roofs with video and guns (many years ago). I used to be a tour bus/Greyhound driver and was in Reno twice a week but this was years ago so I know things have changed and the "sketchy" areas have probably moved.
Not looking for Reno bashing, just want to be educated about what to avoid to keep this week safe and fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2011, 10:47 AM

197 posts, read 510,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
We're coming to work HAN and would like some info. We've not been in Reno since 2005 or so and not at HAN since 1991. We're staying in Sparks at a condo and just wondering what/if there's any "sketchy" areas to avoid and if HAN has settled down a bit since we were last there.
We stopped going when "rowdies" got out of control with fights and the PD started putting cops on all the hotel overhangs/roofs with video and guns (many years ago). I used to be a tour bus/Greyhound driver and was in Reno twice a week but this was years ago so I know things have changed and the "sketchy" areas have probably moved.
Not looking for Reno bashing, just want to be educated about what to avoid to keep this week safe and fun.
Have a GREAT TIME! I have attended the events for the past four years and have never experienced any activity that has made me uncomfortable. I tend to go to the parades at Peppermill, Atlantis and downtown. We also make a point of attending the concerts/parade on Victorian Square in Sparks and concerts/parade at Grand Sierra. Our schedule is always full from the time HAN hits town until Sunday morning when they start pulling out.

I'm not sure about where you are staying and the events are in great areas...do not think you will find anything too sketchy.

Come enjoy and visit the downtown corridor during the day --- take in an ACES Baseball game, visit the National Automobile Museum (always a favorite during HAN) and take a walk along the Truckee River, maybe enjoy a coffee at Java Jungle or cold beer at one of the fun little joints located along the river.

Old 08-01-2011, 03:44 PM

1,228 posts, read 1,929,903 times
HAN is tame. A lot of Senor Citizens who travel here with their cars.

Old 08-02-2011, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanmctee View Post
Have a GREAT TIME! I have attended the events for the past four years and have never experienced any activity that has made me uncomfortable. I tend to go to the parades at Peppermill, Atlantis and downtown. We also make a point of attending the concerts/parade on Victorian Square in Sparks and concerts/parade at Grand Sierra. Our schedule is always full from the time HAN hits town until Sunday morning when they start pulling out.

I'm not sure about where you are staying and the events are in great areas...do not think you will find anything too sketchy.

Come enjoy and visit the downtown corridor during the day --- take in an ACES Baseball game, visit the National Automobile Museum (always a favorite during HAN) and take a walk along the Truckee River, maybe enjoy a coffee at Java Jungle or cold beer at one of the fun little joints located along the river.
Thank you for the info, we'd love to look at the "new" (to us) riverwalk and a baseball game but we're vending Ice Cream at Peppermill so I'm hoping we won't have much free time.

Old 08-02-2011, 11:01 AM

Awww....well, I hope you are soooo busy at the Peppermill you have no time to see any of the area...lol! But, then, since you have made plenty of moola, you will have to stay around for a day to see the sites : )

Best of luck and enjoy your trip!!

Old 08-03-2011, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanmctee View Post
Awww....well, I hope you are soooo busy at the Peppermill you have no time to see any of the area...lol! But, then, since you have made plenty of moola, you will have to stay around for a day to see the sites : )

Best of luck and enjoy your trip!!
THank you, I hope after the week's out we can afford a suite at the Peppermill!

Old 08-03-2011, 09:38 PM

1,228 posts, read 1,929,903 times
Suite at the PM is not expensive during the weekdays. Tell them you worked HAN and they may give you a discount.

I get the spa room and it can run between $69-80 during the week. has a steam shower and jacuzzi.

Old 08-03-2011, 10:14 PM

FANTASTIC, treat yourselves to some spa time....the spa is incredible. Have a great time and make a banana boat load : )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
View detailed profiles of: