Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2007, 09:25 PM

112 posts, read 428,350 times

Advertisements

I have been a state licenced painting contractor in S Cal for over 16 years then I moved to Florida for over 17yrs doing all types of home repair. We have and overabundance of handymen, painters, carpenters in the Ocala area where I live(house flippers that flopped) I want to move out of this low wage humid hellhole, and was curious about the demand for painters and handymen in the Reno area and the government requirments for starting a business, and is it possible to make $20 to $30 per hr self employed with a good reputaion. Would really appreciate some info. Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2007, 09:44 AM

1,904 posts, read 2,443,074 times
A couple of thoughts. There are painting contractors in Reno. There is a lot of new construction and a lot of older homes in need of painting.

As an aside, this is purely anecdotal but I know a lot of painters, it appears that health issues related to cancer and skin problems are higher than in the general population. It also seems that there is a lot of drug use among painters. Any thoughts on that?

Old 08-23-2007, 09:09 PM

112 posts, read 428,350 times
Cool A Sober Painter????

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatbasinguide View Post
A couple of thoughts. There are painting contractors in Reno. There is a lot of new construction and a lot of older homes in need of painting.

As an aside, this is purely anecdotal but I know a lot of painters, it appears that health issues related to cancer and skin problems are higher than in the general population. It also seems that there is a lot of drug use among painters. Any thoughts on that?
Thank you for your response greatbasinguide
I have been clean and sober since July 13,1988. You are absolutely right about painting being a 3D profession (durggies, drunks and dips#%*ts) Roofers are in pretty stiff competion with the painters though, but they dont get to sniff the chemicals we do. Its a wonder that I still know my name after all of the laquer and oil enamels I have sprayed and sanded.
Being heavily involved in AA and staying sober landed me jobs BEYOND MY WILDEST DREAMS, working in mansions in the Palm Beach area-holding the key to these mansions and doing work keeping track of my hours. The people where I currently live in Ocala are CHEAP and really cant understand that sometimes spending alittle more money is cheaper in the long run. If I explained, they wouldnt understand. I really feel that they are a waste of time and I need to get out where I can prosper instead of just existing.

Old 08-27-2007, 08:06 AM

1,904 posts, read 2,443,074 times
Well, the Reno area is growing, which is sad, but you will likely find plenty of work.

Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
View detailed profiles of: