Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 08:46 PM

25 posts, read 314,355 times

Advertisements

I am a divorced mother of two thinking seriously of relocating to the Reno or Carson City area next summer. Currently I live in South Carolina and am in desperate need of a change. Most of my family now live in northern California so I want to be close to them - but after considering the cost of living and the public schools in California I have decided to give Nevada a try.

Once I sell my house here I will be free to move - though I would rather wait until the end of the school year so the kids (6 and 8 yrs old) will have the summer to make friends before starting a new school.

I've searched on realtor.com for housing prices but I need some input on different neighborhoods. Where are the best places to raise kids? What are some good neighborhoods close to schools, parks, childcare, etc.

I don't want to buy immediately, not until I get a feel for the area and know where I'll be working. With my computer/photography skills I don't think I'll have a problem finding work but if anyone has input on the job market as well that would be great. I also want to be close to a karate studio since both of my kids love their karate classes and it is a great place for them to make friends. Anyone have any input?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2007, 09:39 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,200,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msleeman View Post

Once I sell my house here I will be free to move - though I would rather wait until the end of the school year so the kids (6 and 8 yrs old) will have the summer to make friends before starting a new school.
Generally a bad idea. Kids mostly make their initial friends at school. Given normal parental concerns they do not roam freely in the summertime. Unless you luck out and get a couple of houses full of kids on the block the kids will not do well over the summer.

Far better to move with a month or so of school to go. Kids at least know some others when summer starts. So does parent.

Old 10-24-2007, 07:32 AM

1,904 posts, read 2,440,827 times
Neighborhoods; Depends on your income, but, most of the families with a bit of money are buying in South Reno, Double Diamond, Damonte, Brown, Lenz, Huffaker elementaries. Somersett is also popular as is most of northwest Reno around Melton, Westergaard Elementary schools. What is now called the 'old northwest' Elmcrest, Mamie Towles is less expensive. Up in Sparks, north at Red Hawk and Spanish Springs, Beasley, Taylor elementaries.

I did not post the schools as to quality, all schools are becoming mediocre due to the constraints of NCLB, but those are schools in reasonable family neighborhoods. Reno is a good town for kids, there are good sports programs from baseball to soccer, there are lots of fun events for kids, and Lake Tahoe is nearby, great hiking and beaching.

Moving high school age kids during the school year can be socially traumatic, but the little guys are pretty resilient.

As for you, the first thing you will notice is the brownness of the hills, don't worry, the beauty is there, just more subtle. The Sierra is magnificent. The second thing you will notice is the lack of humidity. Your face will dry, get good lotions and make sure the kids use sunscreen and wear hats.

When you say family in Northern California, do you mean the bay area? Good not to be there, kids need open country to spend time in.

Old 10-24-2007, 10:48 PM

Thanks Guide! I really appreciate the input (yours also olecapt!). My family lives in Vallejo now (except my sister who is in Los Angeles) - we went to high school in Sonoma and Oakland. I love to visit but swore I'd never live in California with school age kids...lol.

As for the lack of humidity - I can't wait. The humidity and the mosquitos here drive me crazy. I've wanted to move west for years but my husband (now ex) never wanted to. He was never very adventuresome. I've lived all over (SC, LA, CA, NE, TX, GA and England) and am not too worried about lack of greenery. Every place has it's own special beauty.

I'm looking forward to living somewhere that has seasons other than hot/humid or cold/rainy! I don't want too much snow but the kids love going up to North Carolina to play in the snow (I lived in Nebraska for two winters - that was enough for me!) and always tell me how much they wish they live where it snows.

Do you know of any good childcare programs such as the Boys & Girls Club? Being a single mom I have to rely on the Boys & Girls Club here but at least the kids love it. Are the elementary schools there year-round or traditional? We're in year-round here. That's one reason I said I want to stay till the end of the school year - they get out the end of May but then go back mid-July.

As for my price range - I can't afford anything over $300,000 unless I get way more for my house here than I expect! I'll definitely check out the schools/neighborhoods you mentioned. I just wish I could make the move now instead of waiting - but as they say "Patience is a virtue." Right? lol You never know what's going to happen - my house could sell next week! Though I haven't officially put it on the market, working in a real estate office does have it's perks!

Well, gotta run for now - should have been in bed hours ago but was too wired to sleep.

Thanks again!!

Old 10-25-2007, 11:37 AM

to answer three questions; Boys and girls club exists, serves predominately low income. Many of the schools provide before and afterschool care by the Parks and Rec Department.

There are year round and traditional elementary school, middle and high are all traditional

Your price range, maybe a condo. I would not buy in the older neighborhoods of Sparks and Reno, check carefully, but some of them are going down hill and would not be a good investment.

Old 10-25-2007, 12:19 PM

Good luck with your move, I think it will be a good one. To answer two questions. Many of the schools have before and after school care, run by Parks and Rec. Boys and girls club exists, tends to have kids from the low income schools.
$300,000 tightens your net a bit, but you may well find what you need although it might be a condo. Stay away from the older neighborhoods of Sparks and Reno, they are sliding down hill, the homes may be less expensive, but the neighborhoods are not as nice as they were twenty years ago.

Good luck with your house sale, ours in Truckee went on the market in May and we have yet to have a serious offer.

Old 10-25-2007, 12:41 PM

Duh, how did I do that?

Old 10-25-2007, 06:56 PM

40 posts, read 281,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msleeman View Post
I am a divorced mother of two thinking seriously of relocating to the Reno or Carson City area next summer. Currently I live in South Carolina and am in desperate need of a change. Most of my family now live in northern California so I want to be close to them - but after considering the cost of living and the public schools in California I have decided to give Nevada a try.

I've searched on realtor.com for housing prices but I need some input on different neighborhoods. Where are the best places to raise kids? What are some good neighborhoods close to schools, parks, childcare, etc.

I don't want to buy immediately, not until I get a feel for the area and know where I'll be working. With my computer/photography skills I don't think I'll have a problem finding work but if anyone has input on the job market as well that would be great. I also want to be close to a karate studio since both of my kids love their karate classes and it is a great place for them to make friends. Anyone have any input?
Based on my experience as a child, move during the school year. I moved both during the school year and in the middle. It was much easier to make friends in the middle of the year because people sought you out as the "new kid."

Old 10-25-2007, 08:29 PM

Thanks Nevada1....I guess it is all going to depend on when my house sells.

Guide, thanks again...you're definitely a fount of information...lol. Sorry to hear about your rough time selling your house. Hopefully the market will pick up soon. I know all the Realtors in my office keep saying things should be better next year - though how they can predict that I haven't a clue!

I live in a resort area (Hilton Head Island) and sales are unpredictable. There's a ton of construction going on but most of the new communities are either high-end golf communities or cookie-cutter neighborhoods with every house on less than a quarter acre. Since my house is in an older neighborhood with no homeowner's association fees and on half an acre with beautiful, large, old oak trees - I'm hoping it will be easier for me to find a buyer. Several of my Realtor friends have been very encouraging - they always have trouble finding houses in my price range. We shall see.

Anyway, back to the Nevada area. It's pretty cool that after-school care is run by Parks and Rec. Here we only have the Boys and Girls Club or private child-care centers that either cost an arm and a leg or are totally inadequate. I just want my kids happy and healthy - can't wait to find out more about the Parks and Rec facilities.

I don't know what the job situation is out that way - I figure once I have a contract on my house I'll start sending out my resume and set up interviews. Wherever I find a job is where I'll end up moving. Is there an online site for job seekers in your area? What about the local newspapers - do they have online sites? Aarrrgh....I'm just itching to get out of here!!!

Oh well, timing is everything. Thanks again for all your input Guide - when I do finally get out that way I'll have to buy you a drink...lol.

Old 10-26-2007, 10:43 AM

22 posts, read 218,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevada1 View Post
Based on my experience as a child, move during the school year. I moved both during the school year and in the middle. It was much easier to make friends in the middle of the year because people sought you out as the "new kid."

I second that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area