Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 09:57 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,468,431 times

Advertisements

My wife and I had planned on moving back to SLC Utah for years now. Unfortunately we've been reading that the air quality is some of the worst in the nation (short term) and doesn't look like it's getting better anytime soon.

We are seeking an active lifestyle with easy access to the mountains. We enjoy skiing, hiking, camping and snow shoeing. Part of what attracted us to SLC is how easily you could disappear into the Wasatch Range, the city hugs right up against it. I could click into a pair of skiis in about 45 minutes.

How far would we have to travel to have access to hiking or skiing if we lived in Reno?

How is the air quality?

How are the restaurants?

Traffic?

Anything else I'm missing?

Thanks for the input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2013, 12:43 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,686,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
My wife and I had planned on moving back to SLC Utah for years now. Unfortunately we've been reading that the air quality is some of the worst in the nation (short term) and doesn't look like it's getting better anytime soon.

We are seeking an active lifestyle with easy access to the mountains. We enjoy skiing, hiking, camping and snow shoeing. Part of what attracted us to SLC is how easily you could disappear into the Wasatch Range, the city hugs right up against it. I could click into a pair of skiis in about 45 minutes.

How far would we have to travel to have access to hiking or skiing if we lived in Reno?
Hike into the Carson Range on the edge of town, or within 50 miles, much Sierra hiking and Skiing

How is the air quality?

It is and intermountain basin, air quality much like Salt Lake City

How are the restaurants? About like most places

Traffic? About like most places

Anything else I'm missing?

Thanks for the input.

Old 02-04-2013, 05:30 AM

750 posts, read 1,065,342 times
I have been told the air quality in Reno is not nearly as bad as in SLC, inversion is far less common in Reno. SLC is notorius for having the worst cases of inversion in the country.

My friend lives in southwest Reno. He literally steps out of his house and start snowshoeing in the winter or hiking into the mountains in the summer. Mt. Rose, the nearest ski resort, is 20 minutes away from his place. Can't get any closer to nature than that, yet, he is from a short drive to downtown.

Last edited by Indyking; 02-04-2013 at 06:29 AM..

Old 02-05-2013, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyking View Post
I have been told the air quality in Reno is not nearly as bad as in SLC, inversion is far less common in Reno. SLC is notorius for having the worst cases of inversion in the country.

My friend lives in southwest Reno. He literally steps out of his house and start snowshoeing in the winter or hiking into the mountains in the summer. Mt. Rose, the nearest ski resort, is 20 minutes away from his place. Can't get any closer to nature than that, yet, he is from a short drive to downtown.
OK that location sounds fantastic!

SLC has the worst short term air quality in the country during winter inversions. I'll have to look up Reno, but I find it difficult to believe it would come close to the toxic soup found in Utah (sad to say.)

What parts of town are more desirable and safe?

Thank you!

Old 02-06-2013, 05:55 AM

Quote:
OK that location sounds fantastic!

SLC has the worst short term air quality in the country during winter inversions. I'll have to look up Reno, but I find it difficult to believe it would come close to the toxic soup found in Utah (sad to say.)

Thank you!
I have never actually been to SLC or Reno, but I do a lot of business with folks in SLC and they often comment in our phone conferences that inversions during the winter there is as bad as it can get, so I really believe it is among the worst in the country. Not so much in Reno.

I know quite a bit about Reno because one of my best friends live there and I'm hoping to move there this summer, so I have been doing quite a bit of research. I'm sure there are some areas I would rather avoid living but, as far as I know, most areas around the city are fairly safe. If we move as planned, we are thinking about buying a lot in the southwest in or very near the mountains and build later. Otherwise, Spanish Springs in the northeast is another good location we are looking at as an alternative if we can't afford what we want in the mountains.

Old 02-06-2013, 02:20 PM

843 posts, read 2,217,234 times
Quote:
A lot depends on what you consider desirable.

For example we would not consider a home with an HOA or any covenants. For us a house in the 'old northwest' worked out well, built in the 70's the area is fairly nice..we're out of the valley so when the inversion hits we can see it from our house but it doesn't really bother us.

We've only been here a few months so can't opine about other areas.

Old 02-06-2013, 02:54 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,686,006 times
Driving down I 80 into Reno in the winter from Verdi and points west is depressing. Good clear air in Verdi and points west and as you drive down the interstate you see the brown cloud stretching from one side of the valley to the other, knowing that you have to enter that cloud and breath that air, is depressing.

Old 02-06-2013, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
A lot depends on what you consider desirable.

For example we would not consider a home with an HOA or any covenants. For us a house in the 'old northwest' worked out well, built in the 70's the area is fairly nice..we're out of the valley so when the inversion hits we can see it from our house but it doesn't really bother us.

We've only been here a few months so can't opine about other areas.
If possible a home with a view of the mountains, no more than 350k. I could take or leave HOA. All I care about is that the neighborhood is well kept, safe and has fairly easy access to the outdoors and interstate. Schools aren't too important, since I don't have any children.

Old 02-06-2013, 03:50 PM

Quote:
If possible a home with a view of the mountains, no more than 350k. I could take or leave HOA. All I care about is that the neighborhood is well kept, safe and has fairly easy access to the outdoors and interstate. Schools aren't too important, since I don't have any children.
Areas with the best schools in the area definitively limit the search but if schools are not important, that budget will definitely get you in a nice, good size house with mountain views in Reno. Also, there are a few options on foreclosures, surprisingly not a lot as you might expect with NV being #1 in the country, but a few nice houses that are right now on sale at very decent prices by the lender.

Old 02-06-2013, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyking View Post
Areas with the best schools in the area definitively limit the search but if schools are not important, that budget will definitely get you in a nice, good size house with mountain views in Reno. Also, there are a few options on foreclosures, surprisingly not a lot as you might expect with NV being #1 in the country, but a few nice houses that are right now on sale at very decent prices by the lender.
Is it even possible to get a house with land inside that price? What areas do you recommend I search based on my criteria? Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area