Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 08:25 PM

750 posts, read 1,065,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
Is it even possible to get a house with land inside that price? What areas do you recommend I search based on my criteria? Thank you!
I guess it depends of your definition of land but I'm thinking likely not. I like to use the map function of Zillow for house and land/lot searches and I found some huge lots in the far southwest close to the mountains that I thought were very affordable. Looks like not so many near or in the mountains closer to Reno, not sure about the northwest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2013, 09:39 AM

843 posts, read 2,217,234 times
Quote:
Is it even possible to get a house with land inside that price? What areas do you recommend I search based on my criteria? Thank you!
I would recommend getting a local Realtor or Buyers Agent, they should be able to help you find listings.

Old 02-11-2013, 03:42 PM

3 posts, read 5,654 times
I live in Reno and if its access to clean air, mountain hikes and great ski resorts, reno really is the place for you. I am from california andknow what you mean about air quality i have had chronic asthma since i was a kid, then i moved here and havent had an issue. We have great local eateries and even a cool co-op, and there is A LOT that goes on here in the summer check out this article...[url=http://renohomeblog.com/2013/01/reno-more-than-just-slot-machi.php]Reno: More than Just Slot Machines[/url]

hope you come through to check it out!

-daytona

Old 02-19-2013, 06:03 PM

112 posts, read 245,538 times
Default SLC similarities

Take this for what it's worth. I lived in Salt Lake for about 6 years from '96 to '02. I just visited Reno for the first time last summer for about ten days. I thought Reno was epic and found myself comparing it to Salt Lake in many ways. You get similar mountain views from everywhere in the valley. I did some mountain biking and trail running in the foothills just above the city, kind of like what's above the U. I mountain biked the Tahoe rim trail, which eclipsed the beauty of the Wasatch Crest trail. A 45 minute drive to Lake Tahoe can't be compared to anything in Salt Lake, so that proximity is amazing. We stayed in South Meadows and I was impressed with the neighborhoods, they were clean and well-kept with nice landscaping and a nice walking trail between the developments. The weather is similar, you get that brilliant blue sky and low humidity. As for the negatives, I don't think downtown Reno is as desirable as downtown Salt Lake. The truckee river water park was cool, but the locals surrounding the downtown area seemed like a mix of transients, bums, punk teens, and tourists. I also didn't get the feel that there were many walkable-type neighborhoods, such as a Sugarhouse or Avenues type vibe. They might exist, but like I mentioned, I was only there for ten days. If I had the choice, I'd go with Reno over Salt Lake at this point. The inversion in Salt Lake doesn't seem like it's going anywhere anytime soon.

Old 02-20-2013, 11:14 AM

11,449 posts, read 14,468,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastreturnsWest View Post
Take this for what it's worth. I lived in Salt Lake for about 6 years from '96 to '02. I just visited Reno for the first time last summer for about ten days. I thought Reno was epic and found myself comparing it to Salt Lake in many ways. You get similar mountain views from everywhere in the valley. I did some mountain biking and trail running in the foothills just above the city, kind of like what's above the U. I mountain biked the Tahoe rim trail, which eclipsed the beauty of the Wasatch Crest trail. A 45 minute drive to Lake Tahoe can't be compared to anything in Salt Lake, so that proximity is amazing. We stayed in South Meadows and I was impressed with the neighborhoods, they were clean and well-kept with nice landscaping and a nice walking trail between the developments. The weather is similar, you get that brilliant blue sky and low humidity. As for the negatives, I don't think downtown Reno is as desirable as downtown Salt Lake. The truckee river water park was cool, but the locals surrounding the downtown area seemed like a mix of transients, bums, punk teens, and tourists. I also didn't get the feel that there were many walkable-type neighborhoods, such as a Sugarhouse or Avenues type vibe. They might exist, but like I mentioned, I was only there for ten days. If I had the choice, I'd go with Reno over Salt Lake at this point. The inversion in Salt Lake doesn't seem like it's going anywhere anytime soon.
Great info, thank you! Sounds like Reno would be a great fit for us!

At this point I think we're probably going to rent in SLC for 6-12 months first. Much better access to explore Reno from there as opposed to Tampa. There is only one community that would keep us out of the smog during the winter, which really limits our choices and that's another reason I'm looking at Reno.

An active, healthy lifestyle is important to us. If I can ski, hike, fish, camp and have four seasons in an affordable city...I'm in!

Old 03-05-2013, 01:07 AM

Can anybody enlighten me on the real estate market in Reno at this time?

What is the current trend?

Old 03-05-2013, 05:33 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,223,989 times
Quote:
Can anybody enlighten me on the real estate market in Reno at this time?

What is the current trend?
We sold our home last summer. Our agent told us then that inventory in the under 200K range was very limited. From what I have read availabilty remains limited and its a very tight market. Prices have also increased slightly from last summer due to lack of inventory.

Old 03-05-2013, 09:49 AM

4,625 posts, read 12,296,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamacatnv View Post
We sold our home last summer. Our agent told us then that inventory in the under 200K range was very limited. From what I have read availabilty remains limited and its a very tight market. Prices have also increased slightly from last summer due to lack of inventory.
Zillow keeps showing my house as dropping in value. Was $120,000 when I bought it in 2011, and now shows $105,000. What's weird is that it doesn't seem that as many are for sale.

Old 03-05-2013, 10:37 AM

Quote:
That's a good sign. We're very tight down here, in fact I'd say it's a seller's market.

I'm a tad concerned about the economy in Reno (ie work for me) but other that, I'm really liking everything I'm reading about the city so far. My wife has a job and can transfer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
Zillow keeps showing my house as dropping in value. Was $120,000 when I bought it in 2011, and now shows $105,000. What's weird is that it doesn't seem that as many are for sale.
Zillow should be seen as a form of entertainment and that's about it. I wouldn't put much stock in the numbers you're seeing. I sold my house in August for 40k more than Zillow said it was worth. The list/sale price was based on a recent comparable sold home 4 doors down. A few months after I sold it, Zillow bumped the home's "value" up another 10k or so, lol. Likewise during the boom it showed my value about 50k more than I could ever sell it for.

Old 03-07-2013, 12:44 AM

Quote:
I looked up some stats and it appears your market is pretty darn hot right now. You've got one month of inventory available and the median sales price has gone up significantly since 2012. Good for you guys!

I've been researching different communities online and South West looks pretty cool and close to Mt. Rose. I'm liking some of the newer communities too in the NW. HOAs are OK, but no CDDs. Not sure if Somersett has CDDs or not. Can't wait to get out this summer and start exploring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area