Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 08:52 PM

12 posts, read 12,273 times

Advertisements

Thanks, utsci!

I have noticed that both craigslist and zillow are the best places to find rentals. I'll check that out.

We don't mind where we rent, as long as it's a reasonable drive. I start work April 1st, and only found out about the job a week ago, so we're kind of in a bind to find something available immediately that allows dogs (we have 2 small/medium dogs). Was also hoping to keep the rent under $1500, the lower the better, but don't want to be in an unsafe area.

The realtor found a few rentals in the NW, so why my initial questions about hwy noise. Let me know what you guys think about these areas:

- NW near Robb Dr and Mae Ann Ave. There are 2 houses near here and I noticed a convenient shopping area nearby. One of them is located at Amarak Way.
- Truckee Highlands - that area between the truckee river and i80, west of South McCarran
- This house is on the south, but backs up to McCarran and there's an apartment complex right next door, so makes me uncomfortable about it: Pinesprings Dr, Reno, NV

For the first two areas, I figure I could take McCarran to work to avoid the 395.

Then once we get into a rental, that will give us time to look around to see what areas we might want to buy in. Right now we're just stressing out about finding a rental in time - out of the 6 we said we liked 4 are already gone by the time the realtor inquired ...

I'll check out double diamond now.

Last edited by Ozzie44; 03-11-2013 at 10:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2013, 09:19 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,965,422 times
4950 Pinesprings is very close to work for you. Not a bad neighborhood. Those apartments aren't too bad as far as who rents there. You would be walking distance to grocery, Walmart, a strip mall, some nice cafes.

The Truckee Highlands address is not the most convenient commute. West McCarran is a bit hilly and can be pain in the winter at times. Nothing like coming down the grade from VCH but not the nicest drive. And why live farther from work than you need to?

Same for Robb and MaeAnne. That would be about a 30 minute commute in the morning. West McCarran is pretty congested with housing and there are stop lights all the way. The same builders that built all those homes built the Double Diamond homes in south Reno. And at Double Diamond you would be 15 minutes from work.

Old 03-11-2013, 09:55 PM

Good to know about the hills and stop lights, and that those apartments aren't too bad. I'll just focus on the south, then. Thanks again, utsci!

Old 03-12-2013, 05:47 AM

4,625 posts, read 12,288,797 times
My spouse and I moved here in August of 2011, and we bought a house in the very North off 395 called Cold Springs Valley. You get a lot of house for very little money, but there's a reason. It is a full 20 miles just to get to the 80 freeway. I'm retired and don't have to drive in the snow unless I want too.
I grew up in a middle class town in California in the bay area that turned very affluent. The South areas being discussed remind me very much of where I'm from, and the newer part of Sparks North of 80. I don't mean that as a good thing, just that it is nice if you don't mind people and traffic. Whilw we're are out quite a bit it is very quiet, and we are on average about 6 degrees cooler being higher at 5100' in elevation. There's a trashy neighborhood close, but all of Reno seems to have pockets of this everywhere.
Depending on what you're accustom to don't short North Sparks, but if you can afford it Damonte Ranch, or anything close to Mount Rose highway is nice. While the Robb drive area is nice it can blow hard over there. Your idea to rent will give you time to find your best fit for you. Good luck in your search.
Oh, High n Lite is a Really nice guy, but has a clear California bias. I think he works for thr tourism department. The roads here are better, and they get right on plowing the snow.

Old 03-12-2013, 09:49 AM

Thanks, MrWillys!

Good to know about the Robb area, as well as the elevation difference and how long it takes to get to I80 from where you're at. I appreciate how friendly and helpful everyone is on this forum. Since we're moving to a city we've never been to and having to rent a place sight-unseen, the info on here makes me feel more comfortable about the move altogether. I can't wait to get there and start exploring!

Old 03-12-2013, 10:17 AM

6,390 posts, read 9,680,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie44 View Post
Thanks .highnlite!

I will definitely get snow tires for my wrangler! It's been 13 years since we lived in Colorado Springs, so I need to get used to snow and ice again.

I hate being so close to neighbors, and have wanted acreage for awhile. Can't wait to go camping, too.

Are you anywhere near Applegate road? On craigslist, someone is trying to sell their partially built house on that road, but it looks like there is a lot left to be done - in the pics it has a roof and is framed, but no windows. We will be in Reno in about 2 1/2 weeks, so will check out the houses up there in VCH and will definitely hit Virginia City, too.
I am not in the area anymore, we retired and moved to the coast, no more snow plowing, but, no more Nevada summers anymore,, always a trade off.

Take the train ride in Virginia City, have a beer or a coke in the Bucket of Blood Saloon!

Acreage, horses, dirt bikes, chickens, an attempt at a garden, a good way to bring up kids, and adults.

Camping,, the Sierra, and east out in to god's country, very fine.

Old 03-12-2013, 10:55 AM

I just looked up the trains online - we are definitely doing that! I looked up the saloon and it looks like there are a lot of fun festivals and events in Virginia City - chili cook off, grand prix, ferrari hill climb, ... Can't wait to check all those out!

Old 03-13-2013, 05:00 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,680,317 times
VC is a fun place, Geiger Grade is a great bicycle ride, both up for the work out and down for the thrill.

Old 03-13-2013, 07:57 PM

We'll definitely be biking, but I think I'll have to check out how steep the uphill is first, to see if I can make it! haha
Got my camelbak ready to go, so I guess I could just suck it up.

Old 03-13-2013, 09:35 PM

4,625 posts, read 12,288,797 times
One of the greatest firsts for us was climbing Mount Rose (10,775' and 5 miles in, and up). Once on top, it becomes clear where you live in relation to all major places in the greater Tahoe region. Although I couldn't see where I live, because Mount Peavine blocked my view. To see Donner, Stampede, Tahoe, and all the valleys really helped me gain my bearing, and a true understanding of where I now live. The wild flowers are also really cool, and a no excuse hike if you re-locate to the Southern part of the valley, because of how close it is. I would just try to elevate above the Winter inversions unless you're a couch potato. When I come off 395 South in the Winter the valley looks like LA in its haze.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area