Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2013, 09:46 PM

15 posts, read 45,207 times

Advertisements

I have been looking at a few different places to move as the costs of living in California are getting too much for me as I live on a fixed income. I have seen some very affordable condos and just wanted to make sure I wouldn't be in a bad area. You always hear the stereotypes about tons of crime in gambling cities but I would rather have an open mind and ask you guys if there are any areas I needed to avoid.

I went back a couple pages and have seen almost all positive so just figured I would ask personally and maybe you guys could give me the heads up. I would rather come here than Vegas because of the weather mainly. Just had a week of 100+ with humidity and would rather have a milder summer.

Thanks in advance for any help on this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2013, 08:17 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,223,087 times
I would avoid anything in the Oddie Blvd area both east and west of 395 as well as off of Grove between Kietzke and Virginia.
I would avoid the areas that are in and around the Peppermill as well as anything in the Neil Road area.
I lived in Reno for a long time and those were the areas that were bad 20 years ago and remain that way. There will be pockets here and there but those are the ones that have a heavy concentration of apt. style housing.

Anything in and around the University is going to have a heavy student population.

Some folks say stay away from the N. Valleys but there are a couple of nice complexes in that area. Certainly worth looking at. Most of the newer complexes are in S. Reno, that is the are that has really grown in the past 10 years as the center of town shifted somewhat to the south.

Old 09-14-2013, 08:33 AM

4,625 posts, read 12,291,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamacatnv View Post
I would avoid anything in the Oddie Blvd area both east and west of 395 as well as off of Grove between Kietzke and Virginia.
I would avoid the areas that are in and around the Peppermill as well as anything in the Neil Road area.
I lived in Reno for a long time and those were the areas that were bad 20 years ago and remain that way. There will be pockets here and there but those are the ones that have a heavy concentration of apt. style housing.

Anything in and around the University is going to have a heavy student population.

Some folks say stay away from the N. Valleys but there are a couple of nice complexes in that area. Certainly worth looking at. Most of the newer complexes are in S. Reno, that is the are that has really grown in the past 10 years as the center of town shifted somewhat to the south.
I'd say Mamacatnv nailed it with this. I live in a newer area as far North as you can go and still be considered in Nevada called Cold Springs. Nice newer homes within the last 10 years called Woodland Village. We have an older area close to use with 1 to 5 acre places with trailers and modulars that is kind of seedy. We're 18 miles from downtown, so you got to drive which is kinda of a bummer. However, it is very quite (except right now with the air races) and very little traffic. I only point this out, because after being here for a little more than 2 years I'm really happy. I was told it's windy in N Valleys, but it must have missed us. We get wind at times, but not Like I feel when I go South towards Redrock.
South Reno reminds me of where I came from in Yuppie town USA in the Bay Area. I'll always have fond memories growing up there, but not what it turned into. North Sparks should be mentioned too, as it's very nice out there.

Old 09-14-2013, 03:06 PM

2,084 posts, read 2,621,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamacatnv View Post

Accurate post. I would also suggest avoiding the areas around Sutro (Hug High School). As it goes more south it turns into Kirman and gets marginally better.

I wouldn't look at Fourth Street either.

Old 09-22-2013, 11:49 AM

414 posts, read 972,552 times
If you go north of North McCarran it is OK, There are some nice apartments immediately north of McCarran around Sutro and Clearacre. The second you go south of McCarran around Hug High you get into a pretty bad area.

North West Reno is pretty good, specially if you get west of McCarran.

Old 09-23-2013, 04:49 PM

2,084 posts, read 2,621,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 212david51 View Post
If you go north of North McCarran it is OK, There are some nice apartments immediately north of McCarran around Sutro and Clearacre. The second you go south of McCarran around Hug High you get into a pretty bad area.

North West Reno is pretty good, specially if you get west of McCarran.
Yep, I lived at The View apartments north of Sutro and McCarran while I was attending UNR! It is generally safe around there, you're right. Selmi Drive in general around the Sikh temple is all right.

Old 09-26-2013, 01:50 PM

67 posts, read 199,436 times
Downtown can be hit or miss. Visit the area. Different days an time before you move

Old 10-09-2013, 05:21 PM

148 posts, read 545,519 times
Wedekind Street area, Neil Rd area, Grove St area, W 4th Street, E 4th Street, Pat Baker Park area, Montello Rd, Brinkby Ave
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area