Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2016, 12:07 AM

7 posts, read 21,297 times

Advertisements

We are considering a move out of southern California and we are specifically looking for better air quality and lower pollen counts for allergy/asthma concerns. We would like feedback on this topic from anyone that has made a relocation from So Cal to Reno (or from Reno to So Cal). Are your allergy/asthma conditions better or worse in Reno?

Note: We have lived in Riverside, CA (bad air) and now in Vista, CA (better air) and we have seen an improvement in asthma symptoms. According to data on websites like city-data.com, pollen.com and American Lung Association's stateoftheair.org., it looks like Reno could provide even better air (and hopefully more health benefits?). Thank you in advance for any real-world allergy/asthma sufferer feedback that can help us with our decision!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2016, 01:05 PM

861 posts, read 1,061,614 times
The Reno area is notoriously windy. I doubt that helps you.

Old 02-18-2016, 02:35 PM
RFF

165 posts, read 303,062 times
mkecd -

I lived in Los Angeles from 2000-2003. I suffered a bad sinus infection into my 3rd month there. Afterwards, my allergies weren't an issue in Los Angeles. Fast forward to here and I have moderate allergies depending when there is a high pollen count in this area (Pine, Grass, Sagebrush pollens). I get allergies in the spring and in the fall. If the sagebrush is blooming in the late summer / early fall, I'll be taking my Claritin, Zyrtec or whatever seems to work that day.

Our air quality is low in the winter due to the inversion layer and low in the summer when the fire season begins. It can get bad (Unhealthy / sensitive groups need not be outside). Most days of the year aren't so bad and you can see clear across the valley.

Old 02-18-2016, 11:32 PM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
I never had allergies when I lived in Reno but my son was miserable, he took meds for it, but his eyes were red and itchy and his nose stuffy several months out of the year.

Old 03-16-2016, 05:13 PM

99,502 posts, read 4,489,231 times
It can be bad in the Reno area. I remember an April visit about 20 years ago and I suffered the entire weekend.

Old 03-16-2016, 06:40 PM

340 posts, read 664,504 times
I think it completely depends on exactly what you are allergic to. I moved to Reno from the Midwest and have fewer problems with allergies -- probably because I'm allergic to ragweed, grasses and mold. I'm not allergic to sagebrush, so that helps. On the other hand, the dry climate does cause nasal congestion for me during the dry season unless I run the humidifier at night in the bedroom.

Old 05-22-2016, 06:13 AM

285 posts, read 377,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkecd View Post
We are considering a move out of southern California and we are specifically looking for better air quality and lower pollen counts for allergy/asthma concerns. We would like feedback on this topic from anyone that has made a relocation from So Cal to Reno (or from Reno to So Cal). Are your allergy/asthma conditions better or worse in Reno?

Note: We have lived in Riverside, CA (bad air) and now in Vista, CA (better air) and we have seen an improvement in asthma symptoms. According to data on websites like city-data.com, pollen.com and American Lung Association's stateoftheair.org., it looks like Reno could provide even better air (and hopefully more health benefits?). Thank you in advance for any real-world allergy/asthma sufferer feedback that can help us with our decision!
Thousand Oaks, California was where tuberculosis sufferers went many years ago. Like Vista, its above the Pacific shoreline. However, its at 1000 feet, so its much warmer and drier, same temps as Temecula and Murrieta.

Reno has significant inversions in fall, winter, whenever its not windy. You might consider Lake Tahoe or Truckee, in the pines. Very clear air and 30 mins from Reno.

Old 08-03-2016, 10:53 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,965,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoaks View Post
Thousand Oaks, California was where tuberculosis sufferers went many years ago. Like Vista, its above the Pacific shoreline. However, its at 1000 feet, so its much warmer and drier, same temps as Temecula and Murrieta.

Reno has significant inversions in fall, winter, whenever its not windy. You might consider Lake Tahoe or Truckee, in the pines. Very clear air and 30 mins from Reno.
...unless you have a pine allergy. My daughter was born and raised in Reno and only allergic to pine. Unfortunately we have several months where you can go out in the morning and wipe the yellow haze of pine pollen off the car.

We moved here from the Midwest. I have no allergies (never have), husband was allergic to ragweed and grass in the Midwest. When we moved to Reno he had allergies to rabbit brush to the point of sitting with the box of tissues in his lap while watching tv if rabbit brush was in bloom. We removed all of the carpeting from our home and replaced with hardwood during a major remodel. He has not had a problem with allergies since then.

Bottom line is that I think it depends on what you are allergic to, where you end up living in the area, and how "non-allergenic" you can make your home.

Old 08-04-2016, 07:26 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
I was in Reno last week, and the hazy smog from the wildfires burning in California was very visible and even some smell. There were, and still are warnings being given for those sensitive to smoke or with Asthma.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area