Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2015, 07:24 PM

340 posts, read 664,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrz0170 View Post
Nice!! We are hopefully looking at the beginning of 2017 for our move to Reno and it indeed ticks a lot of boxes for us too. We have been there 8 or 9 times in the past 11 years and this September will be our last "vacation" there before the big move. September will be a big exploratory stay.
Good luck! If you are looking at various housing possibilities, be sure to check out the Lakeridge area (e.g. along Ridgeview). I've only been here a few months but decided to relocate to this area in view of the proximity to some of the best shopping along south Virginia Ave, as well as good hiking opportunities in the adjacent public lands (BLM and Toiyabe National Forest). It has been 60 degrees and sunny for the past two days, which created great opportunities to get far back into the wilderness on foot from where I'm living.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2015, 05:25 PM

23 posts, read 45,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotfeet View Post
Good luck! If you are looking at various housing possibilities, be sure to check out the Lakeridge area (e.g. along Ridgeview). I've only been here a few months but decided to relocate to this area in view of the proximity to some of the best shopping along south Virginia Ave, as well as good hiking opportunities in the adjacent public lands (BLM and Toiyabe National Forest). It has been 60 degrees and sunny for the past two days, which created great opportunities to get far back into the wilderness on foot from where I'm living.
Thank you for the great tip! We are definitely outdoor people. Hiking is our favorite (hike Tallac if you ever get a chance, breathtaking, same with Mt. Rose) biking, walking, snowshoeing (Chickadee Ridge in winter is wonderful), XC. Nevada called to me the moment I stepped foot 11 years ago and we are from Eastern Pennsylvania. Not everyone will hear that calling though.

In September, we are staying in Reno for the first time to see the hot air balloons and then tool around some neighborhoods. Almost all of our adventures have been in and around Carson City, South Lake and further south around Markleeville, etc. So being in Reno will be actually be new to us other than just flying in, hitting the In and Out and heading south.

As far as final destination, we are probably going to stick south of I-80 though we did see some nice place in NW Reno. We are definitely going to check out SW Reno. Our main goal is to find a place where we can find the above likes with ease but yet close enough to the conveniences offered in and around town.

Old 01-27-2015, 09:25 AM

1,002 posts, read 1,967,167 times
Unless you choose something far north of town, almost everything around Reno is about 20 minutes from downtown or any other amenity in town. And if you don't have to negotiate the roads during peak commuting time you will never spend long getting anywhwere. Even getting from south Reno to Carson City on the new freeway extension only takes 20 minutes.

Housing prices are really starting to accelerate and I expect they will go off like a rocket this Spring. If you are seriously thinking of moving here I would explore housing sooner rather than later.

Old 01-27-2015, 09:50 AM

932 posts, read 2,348,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by utsci View Post
Unless you choose something far north of town, almost everything around Reno is about 20 minutes from downtown or any other amenity in town. And if you don't have to negotiate the roads during peak commuting time you will never spend long getting anywhwere. Even getting from south Reno to Carson City on the new freeway extension only takes 20 minutes.

Housing prices are really starting to accelerate and I expect they will go off like a rocket this Spring. If you are seriously thinking of moving here I would explore housing sooner rather than later.
Right on all counts.

I live in south Reno, near Mount Rose Highway/Virginia Street. I'm 15-20 minutes from downtown Reno, 20 minutes from downtown Carson City, 35 minutes from Incline Village, 15-20 minutes from the Mount Rose ski area and nearby hiking, 60 minutes from South Lake Tahoe, 10 minutes from the main shopping hub on South Virginia Street ... it's arguably one of the most convenient locations in town. We looked at Somersett (northwest Reno) when we became serious about moving here, and although it's beautiful there, we thought it was a little isolated from many of the amenities we've gotten used to.

If you're looking for convenience, it's hard to beat this part of town.

Old 01-27-2015, 10:49 AM

Quote:

Believe me Utsci, if we could do sooner rather than later, we would in a heartbeat. Unfortunately, I still have to put in my time before we can leave. I'm afraid we may be taking our lumps when we finally do make the move. However, it won't deter us!

Old 01-27-2015, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by owelles View Post
Right on all counts.

I live in south Reno, near Mount Rose Highway/Virginia Street. I'm 15-20 minutes from downtown Reno, 20 minutes from downtown Carson City, 35 minutes from Incline Village, 15-20 minutes from the Mount Rose ski area and nearby hiking, 60 minutes from South Lake Tahoe, 10 minutes from the main shopping hub on South Virginia Street ... it's arguably one of the most convenient locations in town. We looked at Somersett (northwest Reno) when we became serious about moving here, and although it's beautiful there, we thought it was a little isolated from many of the amenities we've gotten used to.

That is pretty much EXACTLY what we are looking for. Currently, we live north of Philadelphia. We enjoy having the conveniences around us of malls if we need it, grocery stores within minutes, pretty much everything. Hiking is accessible but not quite as scenic as Tahoe and surrounding.

Old 01-27-2015, 05:15 PM

11 posts, read 16,558 times
Quote:
Nice!! We are hopefully looking at the beginning of 2017 for our move to Reno and it indeed ticks a lot of boxes for us too. We have been there 8 or 9 times in the past 11 years and this September will be our last "vacation" there before the big move. September will be a big exploratory stay.
Excellent! We've only been a couple of times. We're staying in a house in SW Reno for a week in May. We're planning more trips in the fall and winter as well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotfeet View Post
Sweet! That area looks nice and something that may suit us. I've viewed a couple of homes around there online. We're into off-roading and have been checking out all the trails available. Wow! We can't wait to ride up there!!

We also love hiking with our dogs, riding bikes, bowling, puttering around the house and yard, and cooking. We do a little rescue/fostering too.

Quote:
Thank you for the great tip! We are definitely outdoor people. Hiking is our favorite (hike Tallac if you ever get a chance, breathtaking, same with Mt. Rose) biking, walking, snowshoeing (Chickadee Ridge in winter is wonderful), XC. Nevada called to me the moment I stepped foot 11 years ago and we are from Eastern Pennsylvania. Not everyone will hear that calling though.
You're looking golden! Hubby is a little worried about me adjusting to the climate but that seems to be the only negative. Everything else seems to be a really good fit for us.

Quote:

Thanks utsci! I've been enjoying your posts on the Reno Area. So informative! We just reserved the rental for May and I was getting ready to post our story on the forum for tips and insights. Now especially, since we've hijacked newly retired's thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by owelles View Post
Right on all counts.

Thanks O! We seem to be leaning towards South Reno for all the reasons stated, but are trying to keep open minds too.

Quote:
Believe me Utsci, if we could do sooner rather than later, we would in a heartbeat. Unfortunately, I still have to put in my time before we can leave. I'm afraid we may be taking our lumps when we finally do make the move. However, it won't deter us!

Us too, same thing! Good luck on your adventure fellow soon to be Renoite!!

Last edited by CaAnimalMassage; 01-27-2015 at 06:43 PM.. Reason: x
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area