Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2014, 03:08 PM

8 posts, read 20,770 times

Advertisements

Hello, Well after much consideration on a move to Incline Village, we are now looking at Carson City.
My husband is self employed, 4 kids to be in school, elementary and middle, but I homeschooling now, so could continue if schools aren't great. Found a property by the river, out near Prison Hill (that sounds bad lol), looks to be by Carson River Park. Agent said about 8 minutes to town, near BLM lands, east of 395, east side of the river but a ways south of the 50. Any advice on this area ? views look beautiful! We do not know Carson City at all...Thanks for any thoughts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2014, 06:37 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,967,167 times
I wouldn't put a toe in the river due to past mining activities. The prison sitiuation is very real. There aren't many escapes (that we know of), but you will have to be aware of your surroundings.

I'm sure it looks beautiful, but Carson has lots of housing. I would be shooting for west of 395.

Old 09-23-2014, 07:52 PM

Oh, that doesn't sound great, I thought prison hill was a historical place..That is not good news about the river either, how would well water be then, not so drinkable I would bet. Thanks for the input!

Old 09-23-2014, 08:09 PM

Just looked up prison hill, looks like beautiful hiking..hmm.

Old 09-23-2014, 08:27 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
We spent a week at Incline in July, and my wife's late uncle lived in Carson City. For me there's no comparison, but I prefer woods and a beautiful lake to dry scrub with some mountain views. If you need to be closer to a city with the amenities, the Reno End of the Mt. Rose Highway (such as Saddlehorn or one of the less expensive developments ) might work for you. Just 10-15 minutes to Reno, and 1/2 hour to Tahoe.

Old 09-23-2014, 09:50 PM

We may still go to IV, it is dependent on numerous things, but work being the biggest factor. I too love the woods, but big sky can be lovely too.Thanks for your thoughts! Just gathering info toward the best decision.

Old 09-24-2014, 05:37 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by utsci View Post
The prison sitiuation is very real. There aren't many escapes (that we know of), but you will have to be aware of your surroundings.
As far as I know the State Prison in Carson City closed in 2010, and in any case I don't think Prison Hill was near it, it's just an area of BLM land called Prison Hill.

Old 09-24-2014, 05:48 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksidegirl View Post
Hello, Well after much consideration on a move to Incline Village, we are now looking at Carson City.
My husband is self employed, 4 kids to be in school, elementary and middle, but I homeschooling now, so could continue if schools aren't great. Found a property by the river, out near Prison Hill (that sounds bad lol), looks to be by Carson River Park. Agent said about 8 minutes to town, near BLM lands, east of 395, east side of the river but a ways south of the 50. Any advice on this area ? views look beautiful! We do not know Carson City at all...Thanks for any thoughts
There is no comparison between Incline and the area you are looking at; one is very typical high desert the other is very wooded. If by chance the 8 minute drive to civilization turns out to be a 15 minute drive, it could turn out to be a real pain. I don't know what your budget is but since you are looking in Incline I assume it to be pretty large; if so look in Montreaux in the south end of Reno, it's beautiful near some good schools and great shopping. There are less expensive areas near there; in fact pretty much anything on the far south end of Reno is usually pretty nice, even some of the newer tract homes have very large lots and afford a lot of privacy. Bottom line is that unless you have some reason to live in Carson City; there is a lot more to do in Reno.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area