Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2023, 11:15 PM

7,144 posts, read 4,552,321 times

Advertisements

I read recently that homes here are more expensive than Sacramento. However, property taxes are low and of course no state income tax. Because so many people are moving here prices on everything have went up a lot. My sister lives in a nice suburb of Chicago and the COL is lower there.

The population has doubled in the 26 years I have been here. Our roads haven’t been able to keep up and both crime and homelessness has increased. I have lived in 5 states and this is my favorite city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2023, 01:16 AM

5,586 posts, read 5,022,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
We bought here in June of 2011 and got our home for $107,500 (now over $400,000) and they can only increase my property tax 3% per year. Right around $1500 a year now.
Traffic was great when we got here but Governor Sandoval help to attract business and growth. Still not as bad as the bay area.
I retired from the Carpenters union when I came here. Line at Costco isn't bad here but I didn't go much when working in the bay area. I'm right where 395 goes back into California 2 miles east of the border. It's called Cold Springs. You can get a decent place here for 400k to 500k or cheaper if willing to settle for less.
I see Cold Springs is in Washoe County just on the border and very close to California.
As of the 2020 census, the population was 10,153. Its county seat is Reno. Washoe County is included in the Reno, NV Metropolitan Statistical Area.

Dayton is an unincorporated community and census-designated place in Lyon County, Nevada, United States. The population was 15,153 at the 2020 census.

Old 08-05-2023, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
I read recently that homes here are more expensive than Sacramento. However, property taxes are low and of course no state income tax. Because so many people are moving here prices on everything have went up a lot. My sister lives in a nice suburb of Chicago and the COL is lower there.

The population has doubled in the 26 years I have been here. Our roads haven’t been able to keep up and both crime and homelessness has increased. I have lived in 5 states and this is my favorite city.
Where has the population doubled in 26 years?

Old 08-05-2023, 06:52 AM

4,625 posts, read 12,300,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
I see Cold Springs is in Washoe County just on the border and very close to California.
As of the 2020 census, the population was 10,153. Its county seat is Reno. Washoe County is included in the Reno, NV Metropolitan Statistical Area.

Dayton is an unincorporated community and census-designated place in Lyon County, Nevada, United States. The population was 15,153 at the 2020 census.
Good thing about Dayton is Carson is just a few miles away and the Carson river is right there. Where I live I'm 5 miles from Alpine forest of California. There's a little meadow called Dog Valley just north of Verdi I can drive to in my Jeep. I also cut my own Christmas tree up there.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 08-05-2023 at 10:31 AM.. Reason: Sorry, cannot put links to realtor sites in open forums. Send it by DM.

Old 08-05-2023, 09:45 AM

7,144 posts, read 4,552,321 times
Quote:
Where has the population doubled in 26 years?
Reno Sparks area.

Old 08-05-2023, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Good thing about Dayton is Carson is just a few miles away and the Carson river is right there. Where I live I'm 5 miles from Alpine forest of California. There's a little meadow called Dog Valley just north of Verdi I can drive to in my Jeep. I also cut my own Christmas tree up there.
Exactly my point. Carson will be the focal point of any needed medical services, dental, chiropractic and shopping at Costco. I just need to find a health club. Now if it's Fernley then Reno is the main focal point and same as Carson above and Carson also has a Costco.

I am wondering if Carson River is a place one can fish at? If so what kind of fish can one catch there?

Old 08-05-2023, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Exactly my point. Carson will be the focal point of any needed medical services, dental, chiropractic and shopping at Costco. I just need to find a health club. Now if it's Fernley then Reno is the main focal point and same as Carson above and Carson also has a Costco.

I am wondering if Carson River is a place one can fish at? If so what kind of fish can one catch there?
The Carson flows to Lahontan reservoir in Silver Springs and it is not recommended to eat the fish from the reservoir. Trout would be what's in the river and you'd need to ask a local whether you can eat them. Fernley would be nice because the Truckee river and Pyramid lake is close. Fun fact. The surface area of Pyramid is 1/10th of Great Salt Lake but it holds 40% more water. There's a Costco in Reno and Sparks and the latter is closer to Fernley.

Old 08-05-2023, 05:31 PM

Quote:
The Carson flows to Lahontan reservoir in Silver Springs and it is not recommended to eat the fish from the reservoir. Trout would be what's in the river and you'd need to ask a local whether you can eat them. Fernley would be nice because the Truckee river and Pyramid lake is close. Fun fact. The surface area of Pyramid is 1/10th of Great Salt Lake but it holds 40% more water. There's a Costco in Reno and Sparks and the latter is closer to Fernley.
To eat the fish I will have to learn how to cook them and be sure they are safe to eat if there is any concerns about Mecury or chemicals like the fish here in the Delta.

Wouldn't the Lahontan reservoir be used for supplying drinking water as you would think it be safe?

River fishing I am not familiar with but I'm thinking that since the water is moving and not stagnant the fish would be edible.

Salmon would be a great catch When I think of Trout those are usually the smaller pan fish type with lots of bones.

Thanks for the info on the Costco as I did not know they had a Costco in Sparks of all places? It must be new?
I heard they have cathouses in Sparks.

Old 08-05-2023, 05:44 PM

Quote:
To eat the fish I will have to learn how to cook them and be sure they are safe to eat if there is any concerns about Mecury or chemicals like the fish here in the Delta.

Wouldn't the Lahontan reservoir be used for supplying drinking water as you would think it be safe?

River fishing I am not familiar with but I'm thinking that since the water is moving and not stagnant the fish would be edible.

Salmon would be a great catch When I think of Trout those are usually the smaller pan fish type with lots of bones.

Thanks for the info on the Costco as I did not know they had a Costco in Sparks of all places? It must be new?
I heard they have cathouses in Sparks.
Prostitution is not legal in Washoe and Clark counties. The Bunny Ranch near Dayton or the Mustang in Storey county out by the Reno Truckee Business Park. Carson City is like Washington DC so the Bunny Ranch is in Lyon county. Some others counties don't have brothels either. Pahrump and up and down 95 has them.

Old 08-05-2023, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Prostitution is not legal in Washoe and Clark counties. The Bunny Ranch near Dayton or the Mustang in Storey county out by the Reno Truckee Business Park. Carson City is like Washington DC so the Bunny Ranch is in Lyon county. Some others counties don't have brothels either. Pahrump and up and down 95 has them.
This would be a different kind of fishing
I saw something on TV some time ago and the famous Mustang Ranch is gone? That's the most famous one I heard of. Never heard of Bunny Ranch by Dayton in Lyon County?

One would think Covid killed off the world's oldest profession.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area