Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 01:09 PM

230 posts, read 676,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarks View Post
I am from California and Nevada, rather bistatual. Frisco, Nevahda, and Cali are not proper, and I have never heard anyone in California say Cali, I have heard easterners say Cali, and Nevahda. Nevada is not pronounced as it would be in Spanish, and neither is Caliente, (it is Caly annte Nevada, Genoa Nevada is not pronounced as the Italians would pronounce it.
New Madrid Missouri is not pronounced Ma drid, but Mad rid, One of our eastern Athens cities is pronounced A thins, long A.

You may wish to fight customary usage, but you won't win.

Pronunciation follows custom.
A for effort Clarks. You can lead them to water but can't make them drink! This NorCal/Bay Area native has never heard anyone say Cali either. And I stand by Herb Caen --"Never call it Frisco!

Old 02-07-2010, 07:28 AM

89 posts, read 186,234 times
Born in California more than 50 years ago, and I've never heard "Cali" either.

"SoCal" is pretty common, though, and "NoCal" is becoming more common in response.

Old 02-10-2010, 07:46 PM

369 posts, read 1,095,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoberPup View Post
A for effort Clarks. You can lead them to water but can't make them drink! This NorCal/Bay Area native has never heard anyone say Cali either. And I stand by Herb Caen --"Never call it Frisco!
sorry but how old are you guys? maybe it's just the lingo that you never heard back in your high school days... but i assure you, i said Cali because that's what WE called it, and yes, i was born and raised in CALI.

Old 02-10-2010, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrsusMinor View Post
Born in California more than 50 years ago, and I've never heard "Cali" either.

"SoCal" is pretty common, though, and "NoCal" is becoming more common in response.

NoCal... that's just silly, although yea i just saw this on some shirts and such at a place in the mall, alongside the SoCal stuff.

Old 02-11-2010, 11:18 AM

Born and raised in the Bay Area, there from 1955 to 1992, and never heard the phrase Cali, in high school or out. And never heard NoCal, just NorCal. Maybe it's a SoCal thing to say Cali.

Old 02-11-2010, 11:28 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,247,301 times
In Arizona where I am from, California was always referred to as "Cali." This is downright weird that the residents of California are not aware of it.

Old 02-11-2010, 11:41 AM

thanks LVD!!! (again tried that friggen rep but it still wont let me!! lol)

And Dober... i was born and raised in Northern Cali... 5 hours north of the Bay area actually.

I suppose you guys dont listen to rap music either... especially Tupac Shakur who I would beg to differ that he lived in California, and represented the west coast, says Cali.

Biggie and LL Cool J also have songs TITLED "goin back to Cali"... i guess that fits with the easterners...

but i suppose i never thought of it as LVD put it.. it is downright weird even weirder if you get OFFENDED by the use of it...

Old 02-11-2010, 01:27 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,522,550 times
Shoot, I have been alive and in the great state of California for nearly 60 years, the only place I have seen or heard the term Cali is on city-data.com

How about some of our other great states, Ala, Haw, Neva, Ari, Colo, Geo, Virg, Ill, Oh, eh?

Old 02-11-2010, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VerdeOjos5 View Post

but i suppose i never thought of it as LVD put it.. it is downright weird even weirder if you get OFFENDED by the use of it...
I'm NOT offended -- merely stating I never heard it before.

And no - rap doesn't float my boat Beatles, Dead, Airplane/Starship, etc -- THAT's music!

Old 02-14-2010, 07:22 PM

1 posts, read 1,984 times
Default Dont move here, you will be dissapointed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazy12 View Post
Thanks VerdeOjos5 and Clarks! Verde-Thank you SO MUCH for all the info. My husband put resumes out to Northstar at Tahoe which is in Truckee and to Sugarbowl out in Norden. We are going to check out the Northwest and Southwest parts of Reno and try and rent a house near enough to I-80 so we can be halfway between jobs. I work for Fedex and I'm waiting for a job to open up so I can transfer. So he would probably work in Cali unless he gets a job at Mt. Rose but we will see. NH is very very snowy and very cold. This year has been insane. One thing that definitely makes us want to move is the humidity. The wetness even affects the snow and my husband used to live in Jackson Hole, WY so he knows what it's like to get fresh powder all the time and not have to deal with all this icy wet stuff. Granted we did get about 2 feet of powder this past week lol. But that's so rare. It's usually heavy wet snow. I love NH and I love living here and it will be so hard to go but the economy is horrible here and we need a change but not too much of a change so we found more than one city we wanted to be near and we finally narrowed it down to Reno. That's an area we could both be happy in. I need a city close to me but I don't want to live in a city so Reno seemed like a good choice. We want to rent a house because we are so done with apartments so I've been watching them on Craig's List and online just to see what I can get in the price range we can afford. Thanks again for the happy post and I am looking forward to going out and looking around for a few days next week! Thanks again! :-)
I used to live in NH, Jackson Hole and Boulder, CO, we are not happy here in Reno, the lift lines suck and the attitude of the skiers is much different than JH, CO, or NH. If I had to move to a place where I could be by a city and have the mountains, I would try Golden, Evergreen or even Boulder, CO. We would love to leave here, but our house is under water. Salt Lake City is another great place. The economy here in Reno is in the gutter and the city has gotten pretty depressing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area