Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 10:52 PM

48 posts, read 175,971 times

Advertisements

I find it very insulting and rude for some posters on here to make comments along the lines of 'deadbeat' and 'Im always on time for my rent, why cant you".

I have read several threads and its always seem the tenant gets the most flack from people. I dont know if its because this section is run by landlords or what.

I always pay my rent, however...There are times I am up to a week late. Why? Because, right after I pay my rent...I spend the following week paying all the bills. For example, my rent is due on the 1st. Then I have 2 cell phone bills (1 personal, the other for business), gym membership (not an option), advertising fees (I am an independent contracter), grocery bill, electricty, insurance, gas for car, and water bill. All these are due before the 10th! I spend the 1st and 2nd weeks of the month paying that. And then, after that, I have only 2 more weeks to pay my rent. So unless I have a really good 2 weeks in sales prior to the 1st, I am frustrated about being on time for rent.

So what ends up happening is, I am on time one month, and late the next. Then on time, then late. This has been going on the past 7 months. I feel like Im trapped as I dont have any money to do anything leisure. And then my car needs a new A/C and Im driving in the middle of July in 100 degree heat sweating my ass off because I spent it all on rent and bills

So, would appreciate a bit of a break. If anyone has some solutions or alternatives to renting alone as a 22 year old, I would be happy to recieve them. But dont come on here calling me a deadbeat, because I work hard and I strive to pay my rent on time, yet these large apartment complexes with lots of tenants want to drive you to the poor house for being a bit late.

And btw...non of my other bills work that way (contrary to what someone stated). My insurance bill allows 2 weeks, my electric can wait up to a month, and my water as well. They dont start tacking on ridiculous late fees because its late. Personally, I really wish rent wasn't due the same day every month. the end of the month tends to be a slow time business wise...and it doesn't even pick up til the 2nd week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2010, 10:59 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
What is it that you are seeking? Enablers?

Perhaps you need to move out of the large aparment complex and rent a room instead so you can save some $$. You are obviously way over extended.

Old 07-09-2010, 11:10 PM

48 posts, read 175,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
What is it that you are seeking? Enablers?

Perhaps you need to move out of the large aparment complex and rent a room instead so you can save some $$. You are obviously way over extended.
I'm asking a question...hence the title

Old 07-09-2010, 11:25 PM

530 posts, read 1,131,060 times
Because us landlords also have bills that are due at the beginning of the month just like you. Some landlords depend on the tenant's to pay on time so they can pay their bills on time.

It is like if your boss decided to pay you 1 to 2 to 3 to 4 weeks late every month. Could you imagine?

Old 07-09-2010, 11:32 PM

436 posts, read 954,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mading6 View Post
Because us landlords also have bills that are due at the beginning of the month just like you. Some landlords depend on the tenant's to pay on time so they can pay their bills on time.

It is like if your boss decided to pay you 1 to 2 to 3 to 4 weeks late every month. Could you imagine?
That's being pretty dependent. What if there is an urgent, costly repair that is needed ? As a tenant, the one thing that really pisses me off is when I have an issue and have to keep following up with the landlord. They expect their money yet aren't in a hurry to address a problem with their property.

Old 07-10-2010, 01:10 AM
JS1

1,896 posts, read 6,768,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mading6 View Post

Nope, bad analogy. A landlord is in business for himself. An employee is NOT in business for himself. The department of labor will whack you over the head for being late with a paycheck.

Put another way, if you are in business for yourself, you cannot expect your customers to pay up, on time, every time. If you do, you will learn the hard way that it's unrealistic. You must have some operating capital or you will go out of business.

Landlords who schedule their mortgage payment shortly after the rent is due are idiots and should NOT be landlords.

Old 07-10-2010, 02:26 AM

13,927 posts, read 39,302,018 times
Speeking as a tenant....You need to get your Sh*t together! You signed the lease Agreeing to the the rent due date! Also you signed the contracts on You cells as to there Due dates! As a Contractor How whould you FEEL if people were constantly LATE paying you!??! Rant over but something you need to think about....

Old 07-10-2010, 04:50 AM

171 posts, read 444,488 times
I think you need to make changing the due dates of some of your other bills a priority.

I also think you need to seriously rethink some of the things that are "not an option." I appreciate exercise being crucial to good physical and mental health, however your particular gym membership certainly IS optional. If working out without a gym does not work, I would shop around and make sure you have the best deal. Hell, so many gyms allow free trial memberships. You could take advantage of that for a month or two if you're in a large area. If you like to work out, could you take a part-time job at the gym in exchange for a free membership?

At minimum, I would bet that if faced with losing your business, your gym would negotiate a different due date with you. Do they have an off-peak membership you could switch to in order to save? Just call and ask. Do the same for your other bills. You may be very surprised.

Also, I'm self-employed. I use the same cell phone for both business and personal use. I'm not sure what kind of sales work you do, but drop one phone if you can. And make sure you're using any free advertising you an find vs paying.

I think grocery shopping as a young, single adult is hard. But its one area where you have a lot of control over how much you spend. And I say this as someone who values eating well over buying cheap, processed crap. There are plenty of sites that can help you learn how to get more from your food dollars. Post in the frugal forum here, and you'll get suggestions.

You do need to stop living paycheck to paycheck. It may hurt a little, but it's going to hurt less than dinging your credit or ending up with an eviction notice.

Old 07-10-2010, 05:07 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,022,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NationwideService View Post
I find it very insulting and rude for some posters on here to make comments along the lines of 'deadbeat' and 'Im always on time for my rent, why cant you".

Really? You find it insulting to be reminded to pay your rent on time? How do you think your landlord feels when you can't respect them enough to pay your rent on time?

I have read several threads and its always seem the tenant gets the most flack from people. I dont know if its because this section is run by landlords or what.

No, because upstanding tenants get punished for the behaviors of deadbeats.

I always pay my rent, however...There are times I am up to a week late. Why? Because, right after I pay my rent...I spend the following week paying all the bills. For example, my rent is due on the 1st. Then I have 2 cell phone bills (1 personal, the other for business), gym membership (not an option), advertising fees (I am an independent contracter), grocery bill, electricty, insurance, gas for car, and water bill. All these are due before the 10th! I spend the 1st and 2nd weeks of the month paying that. And then, after that, I have only 2 more weeks to pay my rent. So unless I have a really good 2 weeks in sales prior to the 1st, I am frustrated about being on time for rent.

Your money issues are of no concern to your landlord or to any one else you owe money to. You agreed to pay your rent and other bills on the day they are due. If you can't or don't, you pay late fees and then you come here and moan and groan about how horrible your landlord is.

So what ends up happening is, I am on time one month, and late the next. Then on time, then late. This has been going on the past 7 months. I feel like Im trapped as I dont have any money to do anything leisure. And then my car needs a new A/C and Im driving in the middle of July in 100 degree heat sweating my ass off because I spent it all on rent and bills

Again, not anyone's problem but your own. You don't need AC...ppl lived for years without AC. Grow up and act like an adult. Cut your food bill. Turn off the home AC, your elec bill will drop. Drop the gym membership. Drive less and condense your trips. Drop one cell phone, you don't need two. Hire an accountant to handle your money.

So, would appreciate a bit of a break. If anyone has some solutions or alternatives to renting alone as a 22 year old, I would be happy to recieve them. But dont come on here calling me a deadbeat, because I work hard and I strive to pay my rent on time, yet these large apartment complexes with lots of tenants want to drive you to the poor house for being a bit late.

So now you want a break. Really? That's priceless. Ahh....I see you're only 22. Oh, the sense on entitlement you children have. Why do you think anyone owes you anything? GROW UP!! Stop whining in your Cherrios and do something about the situation. You're young...get a friggin job already.

And btw...non of my other bills work that way (contrary to what someone stated). My insurance bill allows 2 weeks, my electric can wait up to a month, and my water as well. They dont start tacking on ridiculous late fees because its late. Personally, I really wish rent wasn't due the same day every month. the end of the month tends to be a slow time business wise...and it doesn't even pick up til the 2nd week.

Actually.....all of those bills you just mentioned, do charge you a late fee. You can wish all you want...you signed the lease..you knew going into this apartment when the rent was due. You need to generate more income and cut your expenses.

Last edited by Kim in FL; 07-10-2010 at 05:09 AM.. Reason: can't see straight this morning

Old 07-10-2010, 06:47 AM

171 posts, read 444,488 times
To add onto Kim's post, when I was 22 I lived in a small studio in a less than great neighborhood, drove a battered Plymouth Horizon (it ran, was paid for and good on gas. No radio, no AC, nothing but the absolute basics), and routinely ran out of food, because I was truly broke.

All of the above? Great for motivating me to do whatever it took to improve my situation. I hear some of what you're saying OP, but none of us "deserve" things like gym memberships, cars with air conditioning, multiple cell phones and so on. Sure, they're all nice to have and make life more comfortable when you can afford them, but they're not necessities. They're all wants if you're so pinched that you're having trouble paying your rent on time.

Your rent has to come before everything else. You're one blown engine or truly slow sales month away from disaster. You need to start seriously considering ways to compromise OR to get the things you want for less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting