Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2010, 11:54 AM

221 posts, read 799,285 times

Advertisements

So yet again something is wrong with my apartment. This is the third time the plumbing in my kitchen has started leaking and the third time that el cheapo, my landlord who lives above me, decides he is a plumber and trys to fix it himself. The last time the pipe started leaking he spent about an hour trying to fix it. Didn't help. So he got his son-in-law who is a PROFESSIONAL plumber to fix it. They will never call you the day before to let you know what time they will be down, so they ring my doorbell at 9 am on a Saturday morning. What they will do is listen to hear the water turn off after I take a shower and literally show up at my door about 3 minutes later. Everytime they do this I don't answer...yeah let me run to the door in a towel. So then they did the smart thing and actually CALLED ME on the phone. So I called them back a little while later and told them they could come down. His son spends an hour trying to fix it and now it's fixed. Well a few months later and the same problem again after his son the plumber fixes it. He came down last week, fixed it to where it no longer leaks but said he still has to do something else with it

Another time about 8 months ago or so, Mr. Fix it, aka my landlord, spent 7 hours in my apartment, I went out for the day, trying to fix my toilet bowl from 1970 that stopped flusing. It took him a week to come down and fix the problem to begin with so for a week I had to open the lid each time to get the bowl to manually flush. After 7 hours the problem isn't fixed, the floor was filthy from him lifting the entire bowl off the setting with his power saw, it was absurd. Then the wife comes down gabbing in her native language. I get told, oh I think I'm gonna have to buy a new bowl. Um you think, I mean you do get a crap load of money from me each month to help you pay for this. The next day, again at 8 am I get my doorbell rung. Again, I don't answer and call them when they can come in. No new toilet bowl, I mean 80 dollars for a new bowl might break the bank, but his son the plumber with him and another 4 hours in my house to fix the bowl It now flushes but will just start running by itself. Oh well so again it was not fixed properly. We now have ants in my bathroom. My husband told him about it the same time he came to fix the sink. What does he do? Gives him a spray, which worked for a day and now they are back. I was telling my family member and they were like "wow that was quick how he got the exterminator like that". Exterminator, lol yeah you would think. I am having my husband call him tonight and tell him the ants are back and he NEEDS to do something about this. Gotta lover cheapos like these people who can collect the rent but refuse to get repairs done the right way...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2010, 05:37 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,891,396 times
Unfortunatly, some people do not know thier limits on repairs. I'm a LL and do repairs that I know how to do. Sometimes I will attempt to repair something and realize it's up to the plumber.....not me, to get it done.
My question is, if the plumber repaired it several months ago, why is it leaking again? Is there something happening that is causing the pipe to leak? Like what are you doing to make it leak? What caused the toilet to stop flushing? The innerds of a toilet are simple and should not be difficult to repair.
I can't help but think there are 2 forces at fault here. But that based on limited information.

Old 09-10-2010, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneSA View Post
Unfortunatly, some people do not know thier limits on repairs. I'm a LL and do repairs that I know how to do. Sometimes I will attempt to repair something and realize it's up to the plumber.....not me, to get it done.
My question is, if the plumber repaired it several months ago, why is it leaking again? Is there something happening that is causing the pipe to leak? Like what are you doing to make it leak? What caused the toilet to stop flushing? The innerds of a toilet are simple and should not be difficult to repair.
I can't help but think there are 2 forces at fault here. But that based on limited information.
The leak in the kitchen is caused my crappy plumbing. What would happen is when upstairs would do their laundry, it would then back up into my sink, causing the pipe to leak. The entire pipe needs to be replaced I'm assuming. When the son came to do it last time, they put like piece of wood or something underneath it to hold it up since the pressure of the water is causing the the water to come out of the seams. And with the toilet bowl, first the chain in the tank broke, which is old, rusty and about 30 years old. Then there was a leak at the base of the toilet which I guess is why they had to reset the entire bowl and add some type of new connection line or something to the back But again, it was still fixed half as^ because the water in the bowl just starts running for no reason now..

Old 09-10-2010, 08:57 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,685,783 times
Get a copy of the Landloard tenant law fr your state. Read it. Follow what you need to do to place your landloard on notice about a health issue (i would think water backing up is a health issue) and anything about when, what way and how long a LL has to fix repeated problems. Do excatly what the lawequires. Many LL get away with thing because tenant does not follow the law and that gives LL room to not do it correct. It also could be a simple matter that LL has no idea what they are doing and see themself as some master of the trade. They think they did great and your happy.

Old 09-10-2010, 09:11 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,685,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olive1982 View Post
Then the wife comes down gabbing in her native language.
I think there's more to this story than you're telling us. Not only do you refuse to answer the door when they come to fix things, but you've obviously got issues with immigrants. I think you're at least half the problem.

Old 09-11-2010, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
I think there's more to this story than you're telling us. Not only do you refuse to answer the door when they come to fix things, but you've obviously got issues with immigrants. I think you're at least half the problem.
lmao considering I have relatives who originate from another country, yes, I have a problem with immigrants. No it's called being ignorant. I don't speak your language, therefore if you know english, which they both do, speak it while in front of me. And that goes for my family who speak another language, but I don't. Guess what, in front of me they speak ENGLISH. Unless of course you don't want me to know what you are saying which is probably the case in this matter. And by law, the landlord is required to give notice the day before when coming to do repairs. Not listening to when the shower is turned off then appearing at my door 3 minutes later. Again, plain ole rudeness and that's right I will not open the door in the towel. And sorry to bust your bubble, but there is no more to this story other then cheap people who can collect the rent but refuse to do repairs the right way. Yeah, I could move, but at this point in time it is not an option.

Old 09-11-2010, 12:23 PM

475 posts, read 571,393 times
Why does someone have to speak English when they're not talking to you? It's not your business if they're clearly speaking so you can't understand.

Old 09-11-2010, 12:32 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,267,585 times
Use those little ant discs. You don't need an exterminator for ants. Plumbing problems just sounds like typical old plumbing really. It can take a couple fixes to actually repair.

Old 09-11-2010, 01:17 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,760,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aran View Post
Why does someone have to speak English when they're not talking to you? It's not your business if they're clearly speaking so you can't understand.
It's rude.

I worked with 2 ladies both from Mexico. When I came into the room , the younger girl would be polite and speak english because she knew I did not know their language very well.

The other lady continued to speak in her language although she knew english fluently.

It was strange : The young girl would be asked a question by the older woman in spanish. The younger girl would answer her in english . The older lady would continue back and forth with spanish only ignoring both myself and the younger girl speaking in english.

It's just rude .

Old 09-11-2010, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
It's rude.

I worked with 2 ladies both from Mexico. When I came into the room , the younger girl would be polite and speak english because she knew I did not know their language very well.

The other lady continued to speak in her language although she knew english fluently.

It was strange : The young girl would be asked a question by the older woman in spanish. The younger girl would answer her in english . The older lady would continue back and forth with spanish only ignoring both myself and the younger girl speaking in english.

It's just rude .
Exactly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting