Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 03:35 PM

218 posts, read 775,550 times

Advertisements

Our tenant is moving out 4 months earlier than the lease date - which is fine, I gave her a break on that.

She expects to get every cent of her security deposit back and I did explain that she would unless we needed to repair anything and so on.

Well, when I was there I saw that the carpet had black stains (it's supposed to be a tan color) and the floor has been scratched to bits. So I mentioned, "for example, if we can't get the black stains out of the carpet with washing it then we would have to charge to replace carpet or refinish the floor and so on"

Well, she indignantly said that there was nothing wrong with the carpet and that the floor was fine and just needed cleaned. I see this being a problem when she moves out next week (we will be doing the walk through then) and not sure how to handle this.

The floors will definitely need to be re-finished, carpet won't know yet.

How do you handle it when a tenant disagrees with your findings?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2012, 03:39 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
You have given the T an example of what you consider to be deficient...
Quote:
Originally Posted by toopie28 View Post
Your "findings" come AFTER the tenant has moved out.
Communication prior isn't really helpful.

Old 11-29-2012, 03:47 PM

1,759 posts, read 2,166,252 times
I always take before photos day before tenant moves in. Beyond reasonable wear and tear, they pretty much know what I'll be deducting.

Old 11-29-2012, 03:51 PM

Yep, my mistake - I was trying to explain to her how it worked. She has never rented before and even though I went through everything when she first moved in... she's leaving due to a death so that's why I was (stoopidly) trying to be pleasant.

Well, I don't have pictures but I do have people who know what the floors looked like before she moved in (I used to live there and the place was kept immaculate).

Old 11-29-2012, 04:06 PM

4,399 posts, read 10,672,655 times
Quote:
Our tenant is moving out 4 months earlier than the lease date - which is fine, I gave her a break on that.

She expects to get every cent of her security deposit back and I did explain that she would unless we needed to repair anything and so on.

Well, when I was there I saw that the carpet had black stains (it's supposed to be a tan color) and the floor has been scratched to bits. So I mentioned, "for example, if we can't get the black stains out of the carpet with washing it then we would have to charge to replace carpet or refinish the floor and so on"

Well, she indignantly said that there was nothing wrong with the carpet and that the floor was fine and just needed cleaned. I see this being a problem when she moves out next week (we will be doing the walk through then) and not sure how to handle this.

How old is the carpet?

Old 11-29-2012, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
How old is the carpet?
4 yrs old. I think (and no I can't prove it) that she had a pet in there (no pets allowed) cus the stains on the carpet are the same I used to have on my old carpet when I had my dog (I replaced the carpet when our pup passed).

Same with the floors - I don't think a human can do that kind of scratches on a wood floors but again can't prove it.

Old 11-29-2012, 05:11 PM

1,759 posts, read 2,166,252 times
another reason i won't NO wood floors in my rentals. GL

Old 11-29-2012, 09:31 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,399,081 times
Quote:

I handle it just like I handle every other move out - by the book (for instance, the Tenant Handbook which they signed for, provisions in the lease, etc). Document the damage, obtain legitimate invoices for repairs (and get that work done), including in the refund statement the amounts deducted that you can back up, less perhaps some depreciation required. But dirt and damage is NOT "normal wear and tear".

Old 11-30-2012, 01:16 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
^^^ Good Advice and be professional.

One note... If the unit is in California, the Landlord must be available at the tenant's request to provide a pre-move inspection to discuss areas of concern.

I have always done this to reduce the chances of last minute surprises... it is good opportunity to go over the requirements of the Rental Agreement so both parties are clear.

My pet peeves are lack of cleaning and left behind trash... nothing makes me happier then refunding the deposit in full for a well cared for unit

Old 11-30-2012, 12:11 PM

Thank you for your advice.

This is the first time I've rented to anyone and I have learned my lesson. I was too "friendly" with her at the beginning (friend of a friend - will never do that again) and it came back to bite me.

We are meeting in a couple of weeks (and yes, in CA) and I will let her know that we will clean the carpets and floor and then determine what is not normal wear and tear.

Thanks.

Last edited by toopie28; 11-30-2012 at 01:01 PM.. Reason: Spelling - wth?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting