Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 02:31 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheltie166 View Post
I currently rent with 5 cats and 3 horses. If you're looking for a rental near Dunnellon, FL, this one is available and she'll take your dogs. She'll take anybody that can afford $1100 a month at this point. Nice house, 6 acres, nice neighborhood. Great landlady. We bought a house and will be out by 12/1. Landlady has already said she's refunding my security deposit. Lots of hungry landlords in Florida.
Sounds like a bargain... private home on some land with Mom and Pop Owners... sign me up
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2010, 11:52 PM

2 posts, read 3,110 times
I don't think that's a problem. I am a tenant now and I have a dog as well. My landlord doesn't have a problem with. Maybe it will depend on the landlord.

Old 11-11-2010, 12:49 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
I waited until I bought a house where my pets could live. It seemed the responsible thing to do. People just want what they want and don't really think about it much anymore.

Old 11-13-2010, 04:37 PM

110 posts, read 202,279 times
You can do it. We did a long time ago when we had 3-6 dogs at any given time (we did canine rescue). Our case was unusual and lucky so I won't go into details, however, I think if you prepare a "tenant profile" and outline your work, interests, etc. and mention that your dogs come with references," you might do just fine! I think building rapport is the first step in any relationship - business, personal, human or canine.

Old 11-13-2010, 05:17 PM

6 posts, read 12,829 times
Hello can I ask my own question? I'm new to this.

Old 11-13-2010, 10:48 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valcx22 View Post
Hello can I ask my own question? I'm new to this.
Jump on in...

Post a reply in this forum if your question is topic related or start a new thread in the appropriate forum...

Old 11-14-2010, 01:12 AM

511 posts, read 2,199,641 times
OP- It will depend on your area, individual landlords, and your refs. If I was in your shoes, I would wait on getting a second dog. I know that here, you would have a very hard time finding a rental that would allow ONE big dog. So if you're planning to move as soon as a year or so, and especially if you will be moving around after that as well, I would just stick with one dog. Some helpful tips... work with your dog and get him a CGC certificate. CGC is a set of ten tests to see how well behaved/socialized/trained your dog is (you can read about it on the AKC website). Provide future LL's with your dog's medical records to show that he is UTD, healthy, and neutered. Offer to have the carpets cleaned regularly. Make it clear that your pet is like family to you, but also make it clear that you respect the LL's property and will not allow your pet to damage the LL's investment. Some good ref's would be your old LL, neighbors who know your dog, your vet, and your dog's trainer. Good luck! I am a renter with one dog... dearly wanting to get a second... but I'm waiting until we buy.

Old 11-14-2010, 10:07 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,241,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddmhughes View Post
If I have multiple dogs will it be impossible for me to find an apartment to rent? Currently I have a 60lb English Setter and I recently fell in love with another English Setter that is about 50lbs who needs rescued.

I waited a long time to get my first dog because I know how much harder it is to rent with a dog. My Landlord ownes a lot of properties and he said I am one the few tenants that he allows to have dogs. He said he only allows me to have dogs because I have been a very good tenant and he knows I won't let them destroy the place. I have had my dog for six months and she hasn't done any damage so far. The problem is I don't think I will be living in the area I'm currently in for more then a year or two and I really don't want to start saving for a house right now.

My question is it much harder to rent with multiple dogs then it is with one? Landlords would you rent to someone with two big dogs? Tenants do you have any experiences renting with multiple dogs?
No and I wont rent to anyone that has a pet at all...

Old 11-14-2010, 08:51 PM

354 posts, read 855,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I waited until I bought a house where my pets could live. It seemed the responsible thing to do. People just want what they want and don't really think about it much anymore.
I guess that is why I am asking people on this forum if it is a good idea or not.

You’re correct Mr. Glen Beck "People just want what they want and don't really think about it much anymore." I think it is risky of you to own a home in this economy but I guess people just want what they want and don't really think about it much anymore............. (Roll Eyes)

Old 11-21-2010, 09:03 PM

2,687 posts, read 7,409,755 times
Exclamation Not that difficult

You should be able to find the perfect place for you and your pets. After many many years of renting w/dogs there are a few things to be advised of, though. First and foremost...be sure you look for a place w/tile floors. No carpet and no hardwood or laminate, for obvious reasons. I don't know why LL's insist on carpet. It baffles me. Anyway, Besure you have a yard and a clear rental/lease that allows your pets. Maybe now is,indeed, the time to start saving for that house of yours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting