Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2014, 10:34 AM

274 posts, read 427,111 times

Advertisements

I am just now venturing into the "landlord" status. I moved out of the home that I've owned now for 8 years and I'm renting it.

The renter is section 8, and is a bit of a complainer. I have well water, and she's saying the water smells, is slimy and is cloudy. The water had been tested in August and was fine, however we tested it again at her request. Everything was fine (again) although there was a slightly higher level of sediment (most likely do to added strain on the well with the single mother, her 5 kids, plus the 3 other people that seem to cycle through...Mom's bf and his son, and daughters bf).

I've offered to put a filter on the water, she's saying if so I'm required to do the filter changes...which I don't really think is reasonable since the water tests fine and I'm doing the filter at her request. I would think it would be a tenant responsibility like the AC filter. I don't have anything about my well water in my contract.

She's also requesting that we do a sulfur treatment, which this well does have sulfur, but its within normal range.

Help? Is this one of those things I'm required to do as a landlord to provide safe and habitable housing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2014, 12:02 PM

575 posts, read 1,468,534 times
Tell her she can either quit complaining about the water or she can pay to put a filter on it every once in awhile. I mean sheesh, water filters aren't very expensive. We use a PUR water jug in our fridge and it has to be replaced every 3 months - the filter costs $8. I know a filter for a larger system will of course cost more but it's either that or you don't give her a water filter. She knew when she signed the lease that the house had country water.

Why are you allowing all these people to live in the house? I don't know what size the house is but that's 9 people!!! Imagine how much work you're going to have to do to get the place fixed up once they leave. And actually, now that I think about that - hell no would I put a water filter on for them. They'd just tear it up and then you'd be called out all the time to fix it.

Old 10-31-2014, 12:06 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,945,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumper_girl221 View Post
I am just now venturing into the "landlord" status.
I moved out of the home that I've owned now for 8 years and I'm renting it.
The renter is section 8...
SELL. Get what you can from the sale and move on unencumbered.

Old 10-31-2014, 12:59 PM

She's complaining about the water as it relates to showering/washing clothes. She's not mentioned it for drinking. I mean...I lived there for 8 years and while yeah it doesn't smell like chlorine and there's a bit of a taste, I never thought anything of it, but I grew up on well water.

So far she's taken very good care of the house, its immaculate whenever I've been there (and the last time was when she was complaining about the water so my husband showed up 30 minutes later to get a sample...no way she cleaned up that fast!). Granted its been a month so still subject to change...

My husband has already brought up the excess of people with her, and we noticed it seemed to improve...so we'll see how that goes. They don't stay full time, just do spend nights frequently during the week so its a bit of a gray area. I do have some concern about the amount of people that are living there and if it doesn't improve I will address it formally (or through Section 8? I was told there were regulations as far as people staying that weren't on the lease). I'm also not driving by and "snooping", we are on very good terms with the neighbors and they keep us updated. Its not the biggest, 1700 square feet so I'm surprised they are able to FIT that amount of people there!

We've tried to sell for over 2 years. With our market and it being an older doublewide it wasn't moving and we dropped the price LOW and really can't afford to take the hit of a short sale. Its very well maintained, new flooring appliances etc and is in excellent condition, but due to location and age plus a glut of houses on the market due to foreclosures we finally "gave up".

I guess my biggest question is if the water tests fine, but otherwise isn't "perfect" am I required to fix it to make it safe and habitable, which I think is what she's implying? Or if it tests fine, it falls under renting as is. I'm really not willing to put a full on water softener system, I don't mind a filter but I don't want to be the one having to change the filter every few months!

Old 10-31-2014, 01:09 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,415,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
SELL. Get what you can from the sale and move on unencumbered.
Wow, that was of absolutely Zero help. It addressed the OPs question in no way, shape or form. If you could get Negative reputation on CD, you'd deserve it for this type of post. Obviously your mother never taught you that if you didn't have anything nice (or productive) to say, to not say anything at all.

OP, your requirements will depend on your state. Generally you're required to have a "Water supply compliant with applicable law that is capable of producing hot and cold running water". If it tests within range, then you are obligated to do nothing. Similarly, you're only obligated to test whatever is set forth by law ~ meaning if they want more tests, you're free to give them the info on what it costs and where to send it. Obviously, if it falls outside of limits, you Are required to treat it.

Personally, I see this as being an issue for the tenant. Give them an easy out, let them know you'll end their lease without penalty if they want to move but if they stay then no more complaints about the water. Not that it would have any effect if they wanted to be annoying, but if it's Really an issue for them, and they're already developing a reputation of being complainers, then give them an out.

Old 10-31-2014, 01:21 PM

Thank you, I like the idea of giving her an out if she's not happy with what I've offered. I've told her I would install the filter but told her she's changing the filters. I told her I'm not willing to treat the sulfur, but she's welcome to (she apparently got a quote and its only $250-$500 depending on what's needed...which she can't afford and I'm not willing to do if the water is fine otherwise!).

I'm in NC.

I found this:
(6) If the landlord is charging for the cost of providing water or sewer service pursuant to G.S. 42-42.1 and has actual knowledge from either the supplying water system or other reliable source that water being supplied to tenants within the landlord's property exceeds a maximum contaminant level established pursuant to Article 10 of Chapter 130A of the General Statutes, provide notice that water being supplied exceeds a maximum contaminant level.

I'm not charging so I don't think this falls under that.

Old 10-31-2014, 01:26 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,686,254 times
She's just not used to the taste of well water. She'll adjust - or she can move. As long as your water supply is potable that's all that counts. Good luck and don't be badgered!

Old 10-31-2014, 02:05 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,479,283 times
Do as STT says above. Tell her it's well water and it's ok. You can offer to let her out of the lease early if she wants to find another rental that has minicipal water. Well water isn't for everyone.

Do you have a long term lease with her? When does it end. I would give them 30 day or 60 notice (whatever is required) when their lease is up. She needs to find a rental that has public water. You shouldn't have to provide filters for the water. It's not the landlord's responsibility.

Gosh - that's a lot of people living in 1 house. I wonder how long until the new flooring and new appliances start wearing out.

Old 10-31-2014, 03:27 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,945,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
Wow, that was of absolutely Zero help.
It addressed the OPs question in no way, shape or form.
Yeah... it did.

But I'm out of sugar.

Spoon Full of sugar - Mary poppins - YouTube

Old 10-31-2014, 11:52 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,394,522 times
Get rid of her at your earliest opportunity at the end of her lease.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting