Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2014, 07:22 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times

Advertisements

There is a procedure for adding additional people...

Housing Authority will require proof of income, photo id, review unit size and then recalculate the family share of rent... sometimes it goes up a lot!

Any adult living there and not on the lease is a violation and could be grounds to terminate the housing assistance payment and then you are really stuck.

I've posted before where two minor children were added to my tenant's family when CPS dropped them off after their mother went to jail... not a word from Housing or the Tenant until she called to say she had them added and was appointed legal guardian...

It's things like this that have soured me on the program...

That said, I'm confident the money due will be forthcoming... just takes forever for the first check.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2014, 11:44 AM

274 posts, read 427,504 times
Well I told her an additional pet fee of $200 (dog is a 10 year old chow/lab mix that's about 60 lbs, they currently have a 7 year old 60 +/- lb dog). I had dogs of my own when I lived there and the house is set up very well for dogs. Doggie door out of the laundry room onto the screened porch, which has lattice/screening with a doggie door out of that into the fenced back yard. The dog is crated when they aren't there (and from when I went by when the pool needed winterizing and they weren't home, i do believe they do that since the barking never moved the whole time I was back and forth on the deck for the pool). I did not require the dog to be crated, she mentioned he's crated when alone during a conversation. She sent me a picture, the dog looks like a squarer face yellow lab.

I also said there would be an additional security deposit of $400, assuming that he passes the credit and background check. I specifically said do not allow him to move in until this is completed, and I've got a formal letter going in the mail today with a "to follow up on our conversation via text on 10/13/2014".

One of my contingencies is also on HUD approving this, and that there is no delay in the checks and if there is, she will need to make the payments or be evicted per the terms of our lease. She's already made a "comment" about my demands being unreasonable so maybe she'll just leave (told her she could leave if she wasn't happy with it....she said "then I lose my spot in the program").

My biggest thing is, he's staying there now. We all know he's staying there, the neighbor has commented on it multiple times. I'm pretty certain even if I say no, he's still going to stay there under the table...so at least this way its on my terms? I'm letting her figure it out with HUD, then when/if she says its a go, I'm planning on contacting HUD directly to verify.

If by some act of God this all works out, I'm not planning on renewing the lease and will not be participating in this program again.

Old 11-14-2014, 04:55 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,835,634 times
Tell HUD and let them do a surprise inspection late in the day or on the weekend.

Old 11-14-2014, 07:29 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
Just remember to protect yourself...

About 10 years ago, I had a Section 8 tenant that passed away in the hospital... she had 18 and 21 year old sons on the lease...

I sent a certified letter to housing stating the tenant had passed away, the children were still there and asked for guidance.

Eleven months later, inspector shows up for annual and asks why the primary on the lease is not here... I told she passed away almost a year ago... he starts in by saying I was committing fraud and the Housing Legal would be looking to me for repayment...

I then showed him a copy of the certified letter I had sent with signed return receipt within 3 days of her death...

To make a long story short my letter to Housing saved me and showed just how dysfunctional they are.

Old 11-15-2014, 08:15 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,490,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumper_girl221 View Post

My biggest thing is, he's staying there now. We all know he's staying there, the neighbor has commented on it multiple times. I'm pretty certain even if I say no, he's still going to stay there under the table...so at least this way its on my terms?
It's not on your terms. You told her he cannot move in until certain conditions are met. He moved in anyway. I hope your application to him gets his car make/model/color and tag#.

She is walking all over you. She really knows how to get over on the 'system' and on other people. She sounds very skilled at this. But you seem content to allow it. I suppose there will be excuses for delay of payment (or non-payment) of the new security deposit and new pet deposit. Even if he has it ready, she might tell him not to pay it and come up with excuses for him, because she's a pro at excuses. She probably will tell him "let's use that money or Christmas and tell her we don't have it now".

Old 11-15-2014, 08:45 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
Quote:
If by some act of God this all works out ...
Somehow I doubt that it will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post

She is walking all over you. She really knows how to get over on the 'system' and on other people. She sounds very skilled at this. But you seem content to allow it.

Old 11-15-2014, 09:41 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,837,223 times
Great. Now you've got 2 aging dogs who will eventually become incontinent, and one of them insurance companies hate. You might want to call your insurance company and ask about that chow dog. They are considered a dangerous breed by many companies.

You need these people gone asap. I can't believe you are even entertaining the idea of allowing this mess when everyone with some experience is telling you to run away from this situation. The odds of this ending well are there, but very slim. I can't wait to see what you post about next. You better believe this won't be the last problem.

Old 11-15-2014, 09:45 AM

Also, seeing as how you're in NC, would you like me to send you a copy of a good lease? I buy them by the hundred and can spare one. It doesn't seem like yours is very good.

Old 11-15-2014, 09:54 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
Quote:
Well I told her an additional pet fee of $200 ... I also said there would be an additional security deposit of $400 ...
You can't be switching around your lease terms as new things come up when the lease has already been executed. In NC the most you can charge for a security deposit is two months rent on a term lease but, again, you can't keep switching around the lease terms. This is truly a mess.

Old 11-15-2014, 10:52 AM

If Jumper is determined to continue with this tenant, it might be best if they write up a new lease provided Section 8 allows for it. Additional tenant and another dog could make for a good reason to start over. Better 6et, this is a good reason to get rid of these people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting