Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 01:51 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times

Advertisements

For those unfamiliar with my earlier post on my rental soap opera, I am renting a room from 'Joe' who is renting the entire house from 'Jay' who is working out of state on a long-term construction project. Joe, in turn, has a whole floor to himself, rents out the other bedrooms and basically lives in the house for free. Jay is cool with this, as Joe is his 'agent' and pretty much manages the property in Jay's absence.

Joe is an alcoholic who has been laid off in an economically hurting, labor-intensive field. Joe is also an early boomer, which is to say he is close to having aged out of the labor market in his field, if he's not already too old for employers. Joe looks for work but as his employment sector is in the tank, it's not clear that he will ever return to a job.

Shortly after I moved in, 'Jane' moved in with Joe and the home environment turned sour. She is a former druggie who took up alcohol as her new drug of choice, and lives on SSI - no job prospects in sight. Joe and Jane would start fighting after a few drinks, making life miserable for the rest of us.

For months, either Jane would storm out of the house and drive off somewhere (she had a car), or Joe would kick her out of the house. Within 24 hours she would be back as if nothing had happened, and the cycle would repeat a day or two later.

They've both gone to jail for domestic violence and both have spent a holiday weekend cooling off in jail.

A few months ago, 'Jill' moved in to one of the rented rooms. Soon Joe and Jill started fighting, and Jane took Jill's side. Mutual restraining orders started flying: Joe on one side with Jane and Jill on the other side.

Joe wanted to evict Jill, but with the restraining order, was unable to serve her. Jay - the landlord, remember him? - returns on his work breaks to keep tabs on the situation, but was unwilling to get involved and serve the eviction papers. With the restraining order, Joe did not have access to the house for a couple weeks (they all sorta called a truce and dropped the RO's).

During the time Joe was gone, I bought a book on ebay and did not receive it. Everything else I've bought in the past two years has arrived in good shape. Joe hangs around the house pretty much 24/7 and is usually around when the mail arrives. As Joe has been out of work longer and longer, and as Jane gets shriller and shriller, Joe's gone from a happy drunk to an angry drunk. This time Joe was not around, but in his absence, Jane and Jill partied a lot in the house.

I suspect Jane and/or Jill, and also I blame this on Joe because his actions landed him out of the house when the book arrived.

It's only $7 I'm out, but it's a rare book that's hard to find, and this is not the first time my things have gone missing - a previous lowlife in the house stole several hundred dollars of stuff from my room, and I'm tired of sucking it up for all the #@&*# in the house. Yes, if I had money I would have moved a long time ago.

What would you do or recommend? (Besides moving.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2011, 04:29 AM

2,272 posts, read 6,670,074 times
Why the heck are you still living there?

Moving immediately is the obvious choice. But if for some strange reason you cannot, did your ebay purchase have tracking? How do you know it was actually delivered? If it was only $7 then I don't think it could be all that rare, honestly. Seems like a $7 book is the very least of your problems.

Old 07-29-2011, 05:44 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawmom View Post
Why the heck are you still living there?

Moving immediately is the obvious choice. But if for some strange reason you cannot, did your ebay purchase have tracking? How do you know it was actually delivered? If it was only $7 then I don't think it could be all that rare, honestly. Seems like a $7 book is the very least of your problems.

I live on a poverty level income and shelter consumes half my income - I can't come up with the up-front costs I'd need to move in somewhere else.

No, of course no tracking. "They" would not have tampered with anything with tracking.b

Old 07-29-2011, 06:33 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
I suggest getting a second job so that you can afford to move as obviously there's no alternative. A second job would also further limit your time actually spent in the house and thus you would be avoiding the perpetual drama.

Old 07-29-2011, 07:20 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,149,725 times
Yeah. Do anything and everything necessary to get out of that house.

Old 07-29-2011, 08:00 AM

2,272 posts, read 6,670,074 times
Re: the book -- my understanding is that with ebay lately the buyer has all of the rights. All you have to do is start the complaint process against the seller stating that you never received the book. They cannot prove that you did, and ebay would likely tell the seller to refund your money. Of course if you are positive your roomies stole the book, then contacting ebay would be unethical in this case since it's not the seller's fault that you live with scumbags.

Old 07-29-2011, 08:19 AM

3,503 posts, read 19,889,611 times
Stop buying stuff on Ebay and start saving. Stash as much as you can. Get a second job. you would be surprised how much you can make delivering pizzas. i would be eating cheap minimum food and scriping every dime to save to get the cash to move. Open a savings account and add what you can to it. Then move.

Old 07-29-2011, 08:28 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,112,482 times
I think I would live in my car before remaining there. It's still warm, rent/buy a tent and camp in a campgrounds with shower facilities until you can save up enough to move.

Old 07-29-2011, 10:55 AM

719 posts, read 1,480,355 times
Craigslist. Room/share. Find one for $100 a week and move in. Problem solved. No offense intended but it sounds to me like you actually enjoy all the drama and chaos.

Old 07-29-2011, 03:47 PM

2,059 posts, read 5,749,627 times
Surely a homeless shelter would be better than this. And yes get off EBay and get a second job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting