Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 04:41 PM

850 posts, read 3,717,536 times

Advertisements

I've lived in my apartment for about two months now, and I do like it. I keep a very clean apartment, don't make noise, and always pay my rent on time. About a month ago I put curtains up on the deck for decoration. Now, they're very modest and I have them tied back, like when you have your curtains pulled back during the day. I have nothing else on my deck.

Well, today I get a letter on my door saying that I have violated my lease, and they checked "unsightly deck" and that I needed to clean it up. No where in my lease does it say anything about curtains on decks, and it is not unsightly. In Europe it is rare to find a place that doesn't have this decoration.

And on top of that, all of my neighbors have up Christmas decorations, hanging lights, and my neighbor directly next to me has a line of flags hanging from her deck. I didn't see any notification on her door.

Am I justified in my irritation? Would it be wrong of me to send a nasty letter to the property manager describing to him the definition of "unsightly" and that I expect all other deck decorations to come down?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2011, 05:54 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
I can see that in light of other tenants' decorations you would be irritated but see no point in composing a "nasty" letter to the property manager. What's wrong with sending a politely nice letter asking for clarification?

Old 12-21-2011, 05:56 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,022,258 times
Let's see.........you get ticked because you got a letter from your complex and instead of picking up the phone or walking your butt to the office, you come here and ask us questions and want to shoot them a nasty letter.

I have one question for you...why?? Why didn't you just go and talk to them. I don't care what your neighbors do and dont' do, you have to follow YOUR lease and YOUR lease only. I suggest you pull it out and READ it..and then head to the office.

Old 12-21-2011, 05:59 PM

831 posts, read 2,826,303 times
You're being discriminated against and I wouldn't take it. I would go ask why you got the letter but other tacky stuff is allowed to remain.
It's possible the manager hates you. Do you have a history of violation letters?
Also, I bet someone, a neighbor complained about it.

Old 12-21-2011, 06:05 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,486,570 times
Pretty easy to fix this...remove the curtains.

Isn't that a lot easier than writing a nasty letter or getting into a debate over it or comparing your deck to every other deck? It's just not worth the effort to debate the property manager over such a small issue. You really don't want to get on their bad side, especially over such a minor issue. This will cause you a lot of grief if you make a bigger deal out of it than it is. Why go there?

Old 12-21-2011, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sas0814 View Post
You're being discriminated against and I wouldn't take it. I would go ask why you got the letter but other tacky stuff is allowed to remain.
It's possible the manager hates you. Do you have a history of violation letters?
Also, I bet someone, a neighbor complained about it.

ya know...now that I've had time to really think this over, I agree with you.

I think the OP should sue the landlord. What nerve they have to send the tenant a letter like that!!??

I also think the OP should break his lease, demand his full deposit back and some compensation for his trouble.... I'm thinking 1.5 million should do it.

Old 12-21-2011, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Let's see.........you get ticked because you got a letter from your complex and instead of picking up the phone or walking your butt to the office, you come here and ask us questions and want to shoot them a nasty letter.

I have one question for you...why?? Why didn't you just go and talk to them. I don't care what your neighbors do and dont' do, you have to follow YOUR lease and YOUR lease only. I suggest you pull it out and READ it..and then head to the office.
Can't you read? I did READ my lease, and it states nothing about curtains on the deck.

Old 12-21-2011, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sobefobik View Post
Can't you read? I did READ my lease, and it states nothing about curtains on the deck.

Oh, I'm sure it states something in regards to the deck, it may not say "curtains may not be hung by Sobefobik", but I'm sure there's something in there regarding your outdoor area.

Just remove the stupid things and let it go.

Old 12-21-2011, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Oh, I'm sure it states something in regards to the deck, it may not say "curtains may not be hung by Sobefobik", but I'm sure there's something in there regarding your outdoor area.

Just remove the stupid things and let it go.
Clearly you're a landlord and/or own your own home. I'm paying good money for this place, and I think I'm entitled to hang curtains up if I want. The lease does state "no unsightly rotting furniture, garbage, dead plants, etc." So, apparently furniture, plants, etc. are allowed as long as they're not unsightly. The definition of unsightly is nasty and hideous.

I did take them down...but if I have to take down my curtains, then everybody else should have to take down their tacky, obtrusive christmas decorations and banner flags. If they don't want curtains up, fine. But why single me out and make me take mine down? The manager and I have had a good rapport since I've moved in, so I guess I don't understand the reason for this.

Old 12-21-2011, 07:04 PM

241 posts, read 792,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sobefobik View Post
Clearly you're a landlord and/or own your own home. I'm paying good money for this place, and I think I'm entitled to hang curtains up if I want. The lease does state "no unsightly rotting furniture, garbage, dead plants, etc." So, apparently furniture, plants, etc. are allowed as long as they're not unsightly. The definition of unsightly is nasty and hideous.

I did take them down...but if I have to take down my curtains, then everybody else should have to take down their tacky, obtrusive christmas decorations and banner flags. If they don't want curtains up, fine. But why single me out and make me take mine down? The manager and I have had a good rapport since I've moved in, so I guess I don't understand the reason for this.
And I guess you never will unless you ASK
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting