Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2012, 06:50 AM

295 posts, read 1,180,262 times

Advertisements

That has good examples of letters that I could use to send to a previous landlord?

I moved from a place in August (in Oregon) and yesterday (yes - 5 months later) they finally send me a statement with what they say that I owe. No breakdown of what it is for, etc.

I want to send them a letter that says that they did not follow the Oregon statutes of a Landlords responsibilities with regards to getting me everything within 30 days so they are out of luck.

Oh - and I have called them a couple of times in the last 5 months asking where the information is and was told that someone will get back to me and they never do (I have the calls documented in my daytimer).

The landlord that I dealt with (for 4 years) has a horrible reputation and is currently under 4 different lawsuits for various tactics that they have taken with previous tenants so I want to handle this as carefully as possible.

Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2012, 07:18 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,205,076 times
I would just print out the relevant part of the statute and send that via certified mail. Did you have a security deposit?

Old 01-06-2012, 07:41 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,802,784 times
Unless you're trying to get back a security deposit I'd ignore it. If they file a lawsuit against you it'll be thrown out immediately since they didn't do what's legally required.

Old 01-06-2012, 08:11 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,205,076 times
How did they send the letter? Regular or certified?

Old 01-06-2012, 09:07 AM

27,219 posts, read 46,828,360 times
One certified letter should do it and than file your own small claims court case...make sure you have proof of his statement being late, for example by saving the envelope with the stamped date on it.

Old 01-06-2012, 12:26 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,142,064 times
There are some letter form examples here for Texas laws which may be helpful examples. Be sure to read what your state laws say regarding how to demand the return of your deposit. From what I have read the laws are very similar. Austin Tenants’ Council/Tenant-Landlord Forms

These links for Oregon might help:

Fees and Deposits

Landlord and Tenant Law

http://www.leg.state.or.us/ors/090.html
Read carefully this section on Security deposits see 90.300 Security deposits; prepaid rent.

The Oregon statutes give the landlord 31 days, not 30 days as stated by the OP. Oddly enough I found a state tenants rights advice brochure that also says 30 days. I'd go by what the law actually says.

Quote:
(11) In order to claim all or part of any prepaid rent or security deposit, within 31 days after the termination of the tenancy and delivery of possession the landlord shall give to the tenant a written accounting that states specifically the basis or bases of the claim. The landlord shall give a separate accounting for security deposits and for prepaid rent.
Tenant Rights, Laws and Protections: Oregon - HUD

Old 01-06-2012, 01:20 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,397,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Unless you're trying to get back a security deposit I'd ignore it. If they file a lawsuit against you it'll be thrown out immediately since they didn't do what's legally required.

This.

Old 01-06-2012, 03:57 PM

295 posts, read 1,180,262 times
Thank you everyone!

The only letter that I got from them was yesterday and that is 5 months after we moved so should not be hard to prove to a judge if they file suit.

Thanks again everyone.

Old 01-07-2012, 12:04 AM

2,687 posts, read 7,419,228 times
Default Sounds perfect...

Quote:
Originally Posted by malone7384 View Post
That has good examples of letters that I could use to send to a previous landlord?

I moved from a place in August (in Oregon) and yesterday (yes - 5 months later) they finally send me a statement with what they say that I owe. No breakdown of what it is for, etc.

I want to send them a letter that says that they did not follow the Oregon statutes of a Landlords responsibilities with regards to getting me everything within 30 days so they are out of luck.

Oh - and I have called them a couple of times in the last 5 months asking where the information is and was told that someone will get back to me and they never do (I have the calls documented in my daytimer).

The landlord that I dealt with (for 4 years) has a horrible reputation and is currently under 4 different lawsuits for various tactics that they have taken with previous tenants so I want to handle this as carefully as possible.

Any suggestions?
Just send them a letter and tell them this...
Koale

Old 01-07-2012, 11:00 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,268,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malone7384 View Post

Any suggestions?
There may be examples on the landlord tenant rights page for the state involved. I wouldn't have waited this long, but since you did you really should just mail a letter to the landlord tenants association, or whomever your state refers these cases too, incl. small claims court. You are supposed to have gotten this 30 days after move out. Also, someone recently posted that in some states you can get triple because they haven't complied. I would seek the advice /free consult of an attorney, and proceed to your payday!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting