Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2012, 02:14 PM

2 posts, read 11,754 times

Advertisements

Hello. I am a professional woodworker and musician looking to relocate to an undecided city. I have a well equipped shop that takes up about 200 sqft that I want to bring with me to keep doing what I love.

I know next to nothing on the subject and I know my intentions seem vague (since I have not picked out a city and laws vary state by state) but I just wanted to get the ball rolling so to speak on the subject and start educating myself. I know that I need to look into zoning laws but not much else.

I should point out that I would prefer living just outside of a city, within public transport range and in a rented house.

I do not beleive that noise would be a problem nor do I intend on having customers over or basically anything that would bring extra traffic to the neighborhood or otherwise be a disturbance.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2012, 04:01 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,929,741 times
Look for a house with a **detached garage**.
No responsible landlord will invite a wood shop into the home itself.

Old 03-02-2012, 08:33 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,339,930 times
You are probably NOT going to find too many places that have not just a detached garage but essentially an "home workshop" or "utility building" AND have good public transportation these days. Years ago there were a fair number of people that worked in some of the technical areas and still had decent commute to inner city but much of that work has shifted to more rural areas and few such areas have public transportation...

I agree that no sane landlord will want you to use any woodworking equipment inside a residence even if you have top notch dust collection equipment.

Old 03-02-2012, 10:39 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,049,969 times
Almost any two car garage would be more then enough room for the shop. I'm not aware of any reason the garage needs to be detached. Speaking as a landlord, I don't see any reason to care if you use the garage as a shop as long as the work is done during business hours. Neighbors would be justified in complaining if you often used power tools or played loud music in the evening or weekend hours when they were home trying to enjoy the peace and quiet. One rarely finds much public transportation in a rural area, outside of a cities limits.

Many cities and home owners associations have restrictions on running a home business in residential subdivisions, so you need to check the specifics of any city you are considering.

Old 03-02-2012, 02:59 PM

2 posts, read 11,754 times
Thanks for your replies! I meant to write suburban, not rural in my original post.

Old 03-02-2012, 05:54 PM

28,114 posts, read 63,647,953 times
I have a tenant that made the same request a few weeks ago... I pointed out the city and cc&r's have prohibitions against this.

He also asked if I would be willing to upgrade the electric service because it is inadequate for his planer and large table saw...

Nice enough guy and he did ask... his hours were cut at work and he is trying to be creative...

Sadly... I think he will have to relocate.

Most Landlord Insurance Policies... at least the ones I have do not cover losses from home based business use... unless it is clerical in nature.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting