Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 06:05 PM

14 posts, read 24,297 times

Advertisements

I was approved for a rental in Manhattan, and I sent a money order clearly marked "security deposit."

I did not follow through in signing the lease (cancelled my application), and I had already signed an application stating that I will lose my deposit if I am approved and do not follow through.

However, I have heard that the only deposit they can keep in this case is a "holding deposit," and that the fact that my money orders are clearly marked "security deposit" may allow me to reclaim them.

Anybody know for sure? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2012, 08:16 AM

912 posts, read 5,260,722 times
I'm not sure about this. It seems to me that if you paid a deposit to hold a unit, and then changed your mind, you should lose the money.

It doesn't seem to matter what you wrote on it, since the money was paid as a holding deposit. I'd like to know what other people say on here, but with the limited information available.. your loophole won't hold and you'll lose the money. Plus, remember you signed a document stating how you would relinquish the money if you backed out.

For example, when I was younger and more immature than I am currently, and I had to give money to my sister for our shared phone plan, I would always put ridiculous things on the memo of the check. "For illegal drugs obtained", "for industrial size sex toys", "body disposal services", ect, I don't think it matters what I wrote on it, what matters was the spirit of what the money was used for, and that was to pay for the phone.

Old 07-02-2012, 09:25 AM

1,624 posts, read 4,055,033 times
Signed application trumps check memo. Sorry.

Old 07-02-2012, 09:38 AM

3,545 posts, read 6,031,922 times
"I had already signed an application stating that I will lose my deposit if I am approved and do not follow through."

Why are you even asking about this?

Old 07-02-2012, 11:21 AM

Here is why I'm asking: if we had an agreement that the money was for a "security deposity," this type of deposit differs from a holding deposit. Under no circumstances can a landlord keep a security deposit other than for damages to an apartment.

I was never asked to pay a "holding deposit." I had even asked if I could sign the lease when I give my security deposit, and then wait until day 1 of the lease to pay the 1st month's rent, but she told me that was not possible, and I should just send the "security deposit."

There is an obvious, knee-jerk reaction that yes, I have lost my deposit. However, I'm looking for someone with a more nuanced understanding of NY state law and security deposits vs. holding deposits.

Thank you all for your help.

Old 07-02-2012, 12:00 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,393,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericomposer702 View Post
Here is why I'm asking: if we had an agreement that the money was for a "security deposity," this type of deposit differs from a holding deposit. Under no circumstances can a landlord keep a security deposit other than for damages to an apartment.

I was never asked to pay a "holding deposit." I had even asked if I could sign the lease when I give my security deposit, and then wait until day 1 of the lease to pay the 1st month's rent, but she told me that was not possible, and I should just send the "security deposit."

There is an obvious, knee-jerk reaction that yes, I have lost my deposit. However, I'm looking for someone with a more nuanced understanding of NY state law and security deposits vs. holding deposits.

Thank you all for your help.
That person would be called a lawyer. And as I, for one, am not fond of the obvious tone in your reply (and I too think you are trying to pay fast and loose with the law by trying to be "clever") please find the extent of my interest in helping you below.

NYSBA | Home

Old 07-02-2012, 12:01 PM

And if this differentiation exists between holding deposit vs. security deposit, I'm pretty sure, whether or not the memo states it, that an amount of $1350 (the exact amount of rent) is obviously a security deposit, not a holding deposit.

Or maybe I'm inventing this distinction in my mind, but I swear I've heard of it before...

Old 07-02-2012, 12:06 PM

912 posts, read 5,260,722 times
Quote:
And if this differentiation exists between holding deposit vs. security deposit, I'm pretty sure, whether or not the memo states it, that an amount of $1350 (the exact amount of rent) is obviously a security deposit, not a holding deposit.

Or maybe I'm inventing this distinction in my mind, but I swear I've heard of it before...
A deposit to hold a unit is generally equal to one month's rent.

The truth of your replies, is that you want X to happen, and when everybody telling you that X will not happen, you can't grasp the reality of it and will only end up prolonging your hardship.

You will not get your deposit/escrow/hold/check back. You messed up. Deal with it and learn your lesson.

Old 07-05-2012, 08:02 PM

2 posts, read 4,539 times
What kind of a deposit does it say you forfeit?

Old 07-05-2012, 08:05 PM

2 posts, read 4,539 times
Quote:
I was approved for a rental in Manhattan, and I sent a money order clearly marked "security deposit."

I did not follow through in signing the lease (cancelled my application), and I had already signed an application stating that I will lose my deposit if I am approved and do not follow through.

However, I have heard that the only deposit they can keep in this case is a "holding deposit," and that the fact that my money orders are clearly marked "security deposit" may allow me to reclaim them.

Anybody know for sure? Thanks!
Think you were the victim of what you were told (as we all are)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting