Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 12:45 PM

3,308 posts, read 4,562,130 times

Advertisements

I am wanting to apply at an apartment complex, and I have done so in the past, once, since my daughter turned 18. I did divulge her age. Paid $89. Got denied because of bankruptcy.
I really don't feel like paying for her again, and I think it's lame that I would have to just because she's technically 18. She doesn't have a job, or any record, so she mightaswell be considered a child. One place I went to, I told them about her and they seemed to indicate I would not need to have her fill out an application. I can tell by how many places I've visited that every complex is different. I told myself that if they ask me directly how old my kids are, I will tell the truth. But if they don't ask, then "don't ask, don't tell." How could they ever find out that I didn't divulge she was 18? What if they did happen to ask her how old she is when I'm not looking or something, and they find out she is and I didn't tell them? Would I get into trouble? Thanks in advance for your replies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2013, 01:02 PM

819 posts, read 3,209,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdotAllen View Post
Your daughter is 18, yes you will have to pay the fee. Tell her to get off her butt and get a job or go to college.
I'm just gonna quote the answer I gave you in the other thread.

Old 10-16-2013, 01:45 PM

189 posts, read 643,774 times
I'm not sure what "technically 18" means. She's either 18 or she's not. I certainly wouldn't sign anything saying that she wasn't.

Old 10-16-2013, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClayRing View Post
I'm not sure what "technically 18" means. She's either 18 or she's not. I certainly wouldn't sign anything saying that she wasn't.
I dont think I'd be signing anything that says she isn't. I could check for that though. Thank you for the heads up. I just figure I will fill out the application and say it is me and my two children. Again, if they ask how old they are, then I'll have to fess up.

Old 10-16-2013, 02:52 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,033,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneye4detail View Post
I am wanting to apply at an apartment complex, and I have done so in the past, once, since my daughter turned 18. I did divulge her age. Paid $89. Got denied because of bankruptcy.
I really don't feel like paying for her again, and I think it's lame that I would have to just because she's technically 18. She doesn't have a job, or any record, so she mightaswell be considered a child. One place I went to, I told them about her and they seemed to indicate I would not need to have her fill out an application. I can tell by how many places I've visited that every complex is different. I told myself that if they ask me directly how old my kids are, I will tell the truth. But if they don't ask, then "don't ask, don't tell." How could they ever find out that I didn't divulge she was 18? What if they did happen to ask her how old she is when I'm not looking or something, and they find out she is and I didn't tell them? Would I get into trouble? Thanks in advance for your replies.
Your child is 18 yrs old and anyone over the age of 18 is usually required (by good/great landlords) to fill out an app and have a credit/criminal background check done. Why should your child be any different?

Yes, it sucks to pay $89 every time you apply somewhere, but that's what you have to do until you find someone who will take you with your credit issue.

Old 10-16-2013, 03:38 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,497,010 times
Most applications, I think, ask for the age and gender of each child.

Old 10-16-2013, 03:39 PM

399 posts, read 568,683 times
When I rented, I had to disclose the dates of birth for my children and it was on the leases. I don't see how you can get out of telling someone how old someone living in the property is.

However, since she's 18, and i'm guessing in your state considered a legal adult, you're free to tell her it's time for her to get out on her own because you can't afford to pay her way. She's going to have to at least get a job to cover the application fees. Then she can help you with the bills, too!

Old 10-16-2013, 03:43 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,767,070 times
If we would find out after the fact that you lied on your application and your lease than we will start the eviction process right away.

We require all adults to show ID, fill out the application form and pay the screening fee.

On our leases we fill out all kids names and DOB...a lie is a lie and with all the social media nowadays the truth comes out easily.

What kind of an example are you trying to set? Maybe applying at McDonalds, etc. would be a start...no job, etc. according to you so what is she living off?

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 10-17-2013 at 01:44 PM..

Old 10-16-2013, 03:57 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,356,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneye4detail View Post
Your daughter had a bankruptcy at age 18 or you had a bankruptcy? If it was her then I think that she is doing some very adult like things to be in that situation and is more than just an 18 year old. If it is you and they denied you then I don't think the discussion should be about your daughter. What is the relevence of her in the equation if your credit is bad? Sounds as though you are still supporting her and many places will take that into account. I really don't think this has anything to do about your daughter, you wrote that you had a bankruptcy. Many places will not rent to you because of that.

Old 10-16-2013, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Your daughter had a bankruptcy at age 18 or you had a bankruptcy? If it was her then I think that she is doing some very adult like things to be in that situation and is more than just an 18 year old. If it is you and they denied you then I don't think the discussion should be about your daughter. What is the relevence of her in the equation if your credit is bad? Sounds as though you are still supporting her and many places will take that into account. I really don't think this has anything to do about your daughter, you wrote that you had a bankruptcy. Many places will not rent to you because of that.
Of course my daughter doesn't have a bankruptcy. As I said, she mightaswell be considered a child, as she has done nothing adult-like financially or otherwise.

OK, I know I am THAT type of person who asks questions like this and hopes that someone will say, yes, Jane, of course it's ok that you don't pay her application fee. I know right from wrong. I will look over the application I have and see what it says and if it mentions me having to document kids, I will come clean. I usually do try to do the right thing, but I guess I'm being a little stingy with my money right now. Moving ain't cheap.

And yes, she is going to get a job after we move. We're not sure what part of the city we're moving to for sure yet. Once that's established, she will look for a job close to home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting