Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 04:10 PM

13,931 posts, read 39,310,687 times

Advertisements

My kids is 30+ No job fighting for disability No income I am on Disability YES I had to pay for BOTH of us to be background checked & Twice! Once for Section 8 & 2nd for the apt complex! LL DS had her pay also she was a month shy of 18 Plus she was still in HS.. Do it & shut up! Or face eviction & having future problems renting or buying for lying!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2013, 04:25 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,033,682 times
OP: You're not getting it...your child is 18 yrs old and like it or not you're going to have to pay for an app and background check. It doesn't matter what she did or didn't do financially, she's 18 and in the eyes of the law, she's an adult.

It doesn't matter if money is tight or not, you need to fork up the dough or kick the kid out. Choice is yours.

Old 10-16-2013, 05:09 PM

32,663 posts, read 48,079,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneye4detail View Post
.......... Got denied because of bankruptcy.
..............But if they don't ask, then "don't ask, don't tell." How could they ever find out that I didn't divulge she was 18? ............I didn't tell them? Would I get into trouble? ...............
So. A bankruptcy and you are hoping to get away with being deliberately deceitful. That's what it reads like to me.

It says on my application that any falsehood on the application is grounds for eviction. If you did it to me, I'd present you with your 30 day notice to vacate and off you go with a very bad landlord reference from me.

Of course, I have no idea what a different landlord might do.

Because you have the bankruptcy, I suggest that you discuss that with the landlord before you pay the application fees. There is no reason to pay to apply if you already know they won't accept you. The landlord should be able to tell you before you apply what the policy is on bankruptcies.

Lies on the application are grounds for rejection. I don't care if it is about the age of your child, the breed of your dog, the address where you are claiming to live, your income, your mother's name. Any lie and I reject automatically. I am not the only landlord who does so.

Old 10-16-2013, 05:16 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,083,166 times
Quote:
I am wanting to apply at an apartment complex, and I have done so in the past, once, since my daughter turned 18. I did divulge her age. Paid $89. Got denied because of bankruptcy.
I really don't feel like paying for her again, and I think it's lame that I would have to just because she's technically 18. She doesn't have a job, or any record, so she mightaswell be considered a child. One place I went to, I told them about her and they seemed to indicate I would not need to have her fill out an application. I can tell by how many places I've visited that every complex is different. I told myself that if they ask me directly how old my kids are, I will tell the truth. But if they don't ask, then "don't ask, don't tell." How could they ever find out that I didn't divulge she was 18? What if they did happen to ask her how old she is when I'm not looking or something, and they find out she is and I didn't tell them? Would I get into trouble? Thanks in advance for your replies.
I understand your frustration. In many cases it is rather stupid to require a credit check on an 18 year old with no job history or credit history but these days many 18 year olds do have an extensive criminal history, so there is a legitimate reason to be concerned.

In your case you are far more likely to be disqualified because of the bankruptcy. You should be up front about that and ask them, before wasting money on any application fee if that will disqualify you. If so there is no reason for you to spend the money on applying and them wasting their time checking your application. I think most places will be up front with you about it, they don't want to waste time either.

Old 10-16-2013, 06:11 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,767,070 times
Lying on an application is immediately denial, no excuse.

We don't serve a 30 day notice but a 7 day notice to be in compliance with the lease and evictions to pretty fast in our area since tenants have to reply and a response that you lied will only have the judge sign off right away.

Judges over here are strict when it comes to a trial but tenants to try to scam by not paying rent any than claiming some BS repair without paying into the court registry..means out within 15 days on average, depending on what month it is filed,

The minute we file it shows up on the next background check since most companies pull in our area from the public records which will give an eviction filing and nobody who will check a background check for the next years will allow you in...not even section 8 for the next 3 years at least!

Old 10-16-2013, 06:40 PM

3,308 posts, read 4,562,130 times
As far as the bankruptcy, from what I understand, as long as it has been discharged, you can be approved. In fact that is what the last place told me. They said come back when it is discharged. If every place declined people for having a bankruptcy, there would reallly be a homelessness problem these days!

Old 10-16-2013, 07:27 PM

13,931 posts, read 39,310,687 times
There IS a Homelessness Huge Problem these Days! Where have you been?

Old 10-17-2013, 07:05 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,523,229 times
Wow, some people got out of bed on the wrong side.

OP, I don't blame you for not wanting to pay the extra application fee, and for goodness sake, your kid is barely an adult now. Sheesh, you guys.

If you applied with me, I'd want you to be honest. If you said, I have a bankruptcy which has been discharged, and my kid is 18. I really don't want to waste money on application fees if you're not going to approve me.

Then, if they say, they may approve you with the bankruptcy, just ask if they will need to also run credit on your daughter. Just say she has no credit yet, obviously, so can she just be listed as an occupant?

I would have no problem with this. I can't be the only manager in the country who wouldn't.

In fact, if someone isn't sure about whether or not I would approve their credit, I will let them bring in a print-out of their credit report, and I'll look it over and say if i would approve it. I do then actually run it afterwards, but I have no problem saving someone the application fee and another ding on their report from another person running their credit.

It never hurts to ask. Being honest gets major points with me. Our relationship would be bad if I knew you lied to me, and if I found out during the application process, I'd probably deny your application.

But, if you're upfront with me, I'm happy to work with people.

Old 10-17-2013, 08:37 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,356,633 times
Quote:
Of course my daughter doesn't have a bankruptcy. As I said, she mightaswell be considered a child, as she has done nothing adult-like financially or otherwise.

OK, I know I am THAT type of person who asks questions like this and hopes that someone will say, yes, Jane, of course it's ok that you don't pay her application fee. I know right from wrong. I will look over the application I have and see what it says and if it mentions me having to document kids, I will come clean. I usually do try to do the right thing, but I guess I'm being a little stingy with my money right now. Moving ain't cheap.

And yes, she is going to get a job after we move. We're not sure what part of the city we're moving to for sure yet. Once that's established, she will look for a job close to home.
Then you are saying that you had the bankrupcy then. That is the reason that they will not rent to you. You may want to ask before you pay for a credit report next time. Ask if they will take someone like you that has had a bankrupcy. What was the plan? Apply at all the apartment complexes untill one would rent to you?

Old 10-17-2013, 01:51 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,692,777 times
I've seen 18 year olds with totally trashed credit and in collections.

The most common reason is someone in the family used their social for getting utilities, credit account, cell phone, etc.

Really sad when your own family will do this to an innocent child.

The biggest one was a a few years ago at an apartment... the mother had changed the child's birth certificate in the Hospital from girl to boy so she could get a larger Section 8 apartment... caused this kid all kinds of problems as going to collections...

Collectors would call asking about this then 2 year old...

Really very sad in every way.

As to work and credit history... I started working and paying into Social Security at age 12... so by the time I was 18, I had already 6 years in...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting