Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2013, 11:16 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,767,070 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Wow, some people got out of bed on the wrong side.

OP, I don't blame you for not wanting to pay the extra application fee, and for goodness sake, your kid is barely an adult now. Sheesh, you guys.

If you applied with me, I'd want you to be honest. If you said, I have a bankruptcy which has been discharged, and my kid is 18. I really don't want to waste money on application fees if you're not going to approve me.

Then, if they say, they may approve you with the bankruptcy, just ask if they will need to also run credit on your daughter. Just say she has no credit yet, obviously, so can she just be listed as an occupant?

I would have no problem with this. I can't be the only manager in the country who wouldn't.

In fact, if someone isn't sure about whether or not I would approve their credit, I will let them bring in a print-out of their credit report, and I'll look it over and say if i would approve it. I do then actually run it afterwards, but I have no problem saving someone the application fee and another ding on their report from another person running their credit.

It never hurts to ask. Being honest gets major points with me. Our relationship would be bad if I knew you lied to me, and if I found out during the application process, I'd probably deny your application.

But, if you're upfront with me, I'm happy to work with people.
You are probably not a property manager!

"if your kid doesn't have a credit history than I will work with you if you are honest about it"....

Really what about other items that can come up, at least by running it you have more security and what about the Fair Housing Law!

Now we going to pick and choose whos background we run...old little lady, ok....big 6 foot guy, please run it...cute girl...ok no problem!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2013, 12:36 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,692,777 times
We process all applicants the same... and this saved the bacon the one time when we were investigated for discrimination.

A woman said she was discriminated against because we did not rent to her... she filed a complaint and it was investigated... by coincidence the person we did accept was of the same race and gender and had no credit charge-offs.

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 10-19-2013 at 11:18 AM..

Old 10-18-2013, 01:05 PM

3,032 posts, read 4,737,608 times
Find an apartment complex community that explicitly states "second chance rental program" they will allow bankruptcies but no evictions. then, pay for all app fees for all occupants over 18.

Old 10-18-2013, 10:59 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,263,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Come on Bent.

No Snow absolutely knows what she's talking about.

Quote:
"if your kid doesn't have a credit history than I will work with you if you are honest about it"....

Really what about other items that can come up, at least by running it you have more security and what about the Fair Housing Law!
Huh? LMAO...What are you mumbling about? 18 year olds having a credit history? Or any history that isn't sealed and you'll never see?

Quote:
Now we going to pick and choose whos background we run...old little lady, ok....big 6 foot guy, please run it...cute girl...ok no problem!
Someone needs sleepy time.

Night-nights!

Old 10-19-2013, 10:13 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,523,229 times
Quote:

LOL! I see your point. But I also don't run credit reports for new immigrants who won't have a credit history, but have a bona fide job offer, or who are here on a student visa who don't have social security numbers. I know there won't be a history, so why take their money? Now there's a scam, in my opinion, if there ever was one.

Fair housing is for when someone's been discriminated against. Is the 18 year old going to say I discriminated against her...by renting to her...without running a credit check?

Or, you are saying that someone with bad credit, whose credit I checked, says I discriminated against them by running their credit and then not renting to them because their credit was bad? It was discrimination because I ran their credit report, but not the 18 year old's?

Hmmmmm. Doesn't work. People who have bad credit are not a protected class. And I wouldn't be discriminating against anyone based on age here. After all, I would have rented to the 18 year old in this scenario.

Maybe you could give me an example of how Fair Housing could nab me because of my not running a credit check on someone's 18 year old kid? Seriously. I am teachable.

Old 10-19-2013, 11:10 AM

32,663 posts, read 48,079,532 times
Quote:

Maybe you could give me an example of how Fair Housing could nab me because of my not running a credit check on someone's 18 year old kid? Seriously. I am teachable.
Sure. The 19 year old that you did rent to, that had to pay $49 for his screening could file a complaint with the Fair Housing Administration that you are not treating applicants equally. Then you get to go through the fun of an investigation and I think you would be fined.

Or your boss could finally fire you because you let someone in with massively bad credit and a criminal record for meth manufacture because you didn't screen them. The owner of that property is not going to be happy if there is a meth lab running in one of his bathrooms.

You are way too lax and you keep giving really bad advice to tenants because you seem to believe that every other landlord in the country will do as poor a job as you do.

And before you get your knickers all in a twist, remind yourself that you requested the advice that I just gave you.

Old 10-19-2013, 03:28 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,767,070 times
Quote:
LOL! I see your point. But I also don't run credit reports for new immigrants who won't have a credit history, but have a bona fide job offer, or who are here on a student visa who don't have social security numbers. I know there won't be a history, so why take their money? Now there's a scam, in my opinion, if there ever was one.

Fair housing is for when someone's been discriminated against. Is the 18 year old going to say I discriminated against her...by renting to her...without running a credit check?

Or, you are saying that someone with bad credit, whose credit I checked, says I discriminated against them by running their credit and then not renting to them because their credit was bad? It was discrimination because I ran their credit report, but not the 18 year old's?

Hmmmmm. Doesn't work. People who have bad credit are not a protected class. And I wouldn't be discriminating against anyone based on age here. After all, I would have rented to the 18 year old in this scenario.

First we start with making a copy of their photo ID and by running a credit report and criminal background we find out if the social security number belongs to the person that we have the ID for...

The other day we also had one that was very young stated he was not arrested and had no credit but was willing to pay last month rent and a little bit higher sec. Dep. ....we run it and he was indeed very young and in he already had 14 arrests! Drugs, bad check, driving on a suspended license, no seatbelt, uninsured driving, etc. He was still 18!

I'm glad we always check and we don't just take their money because we explain what we check for and we tell them if you have any of that please disclose upfront because certain arrests, charges and/or convictions will automatically be a denial aside from eviction filings and judgments from other places of living!

But I'm not saying you need to change the way you do it, we just see it different and feel more confident the way we do it!

Old 10-19-2013, 05:31 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,083,166 times
Quote:
First we start with making a copy of their photo ID and by running a credit report and criminal background we find out if the social security number belongs to the person that we have the ID for...

The other day we also had one that was very young stated he was not arrested and had no credit but was willing to pay last month rent and a little bit higher sec. Dep. ....we run it and he was indeed very young and in he already had 14 arrests! Drugs, bad check, driving on a suspended license, no seatbelt, uninsured driving, etc. He was still 18!

I'm glad we always check and we don't just take their money because we explain what we check for and we tell them if you have any of that please disclose upfront because certain arrests, charges and/or convictions will automatically be a denial aside from eviction filings and judgments from other places of living!

But I'm not saying you need to change the way you do it, we just see it different and feel more confident the way we do it!
Sad, but amusing. I just read it to my wife who used to teach Junior High, she responded: I had one student that I expected would be convicted for murder by the time he was 18, and had a record of torturing small animals. However I previously understood that most juvenile records are sealed, so I'm not sure how those would show up in a background check. ??

Old 10-19-2013, 06:17 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,523,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Sure. The 19 year old that you did rent to, that had to pay $49 for his screening could file a complaint with the Fair Housing Administration that you are not treating applicants equally. Then you get to go through the fun of an investigation and I think you would be fined.

Or your boss could finally fire you because you let someone in with massively bad credit and a criminal record for meth manufacture because you didn't screen them. The owner of that property is not going to be happy if there is a meth lab running in one of his bathrooms.

You are way too lax and you keep giving really bad advice to tenants because you seem to believe that every other landlord in the country will do as poor a job as you do.

And before you get your knickers all in a twist, remind yourself that you requested the advice that I just gave you.
Wow, from 18 year old kid to meth manufacturing plant. Seems a bit of a leap, but okay, I can work with this.

I still think for fair housing to get involved, there would have to be discrimination. You're saying I'm discriminating against a 19 year old that I did rent to. Why would he file a complaint if I rented to him?

I guess you're saying that I discriminated against him by running a check on him, as opposed to someone's kid who just turned 18. I still don't see it flying as a case of discrimination based on ---age? But, you could be right. If I never ran credit checks for 18 year olds, but ran them for all 19 year olds...

My "really bad advice" is telling tenants what I would do. Clearly we don't see things the same way. But, I still don't think I'm the only manager in the country who does things the way I do. Perhaps a tenant's odds of finding such a wonderful manager as myself is slim...but the odds are there.

I've been doing this for 8 years, and I haven't had one eviction through the court system. Worst case scenario is I've given 30 days notice. And even those tenants (maybe 3 in 8 years) still got most if not all of their security deposits back. In fact, there was only one tenant in 8 years who left owing any money. It was a law student who flunked out, and left owing about $300 and the owner decided to let it go. Her life was going hard enough, and we let her slide. Oh, and she left the apartment spotless.

And there has never been a fair housing complaint on my watch.

So, for being such a "lax" flake, somehow my screening track record is pretty good.

I'm lucky in that my boss and I agree on using the "human factor" as well as good business practices. We don't think it's right to charge immigrant Indian techies for credit checks that we know will show nothing, but will cost them $40+. It's just not right or fair, in our opinions.

Do other corporate landlords do such things? No.

But, I just can't picture Fair Housing grilling me on giving a break to people who won't have a credit history from the cost of a credit check. I just really can't see any headlines there....

Manager in Santa Clara allows immigrant techies, immigrant students and 18 year olds to rent without credit checks! OMG! Other tenants crying outrage! They've been discriminated against for not being people without credit histories!

I keep trying to see it. Maybe tomorrow it will hit me.

Old 10-19-2013, 06:50 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,497,010 times
Quote:
Wow, from 18 year old kid to meth manufacturing plant. Seems a bit of a leap, but okay, I can work with this.

I still think for fair housing to get involved, there would have to be discrimination. You're saying I'm discriminating against a 19 year old that I did rent to. Why would he file a complaint if I rented to him?

I guess you're saying that I discriminated against him by running a check on him, as opposed to someone's kid who just turned 18. I still don't see it flying as a case of discrimination based on ---age? But, you could be right. If I never ran credit checks for 18 year olds, but ran them for all 19 year olds...

My "really bad advice" is telling tenants what I would do. Clearly we don't see things the same way. But, I still don't think I'm the only manager in the country who does things the way I do. Perhaps a tenant's odds of finding such a wonderful manager as myself is slim...but the odds are there.

I've been doing this for 8 years, and I haven't had one eviction through the court system. Worst case scenario is I've given 30 days notice. And even those tenants (maybe 3 in 8 years) still got most if not all of their security deposits back. In fact, there was only one tenant in 8 years who left owing any money. It was a law student who flunked out, and left owing about $300 and the owner decided to let it go. Her life was going hard enough, and we let her slide. Oh, and she left the apartment spotless.

And there has never been a fair housing complaint on my watch.

So, for being such a "lax" flake, somehow my screening track record is pretty good.

I'm lucky in that my boss and I agree on using the "human factor" as well as good business practices. We don't think it's right to charge immigrant Indian techies for credit checks that we know will show nothing, but will cost them $40+. It's just not right or fair, in our opinions.

Do other corporate landlords do such things? No.

But, I just can't picture Fair Housing grilling me on giving a break to people who won't have a credit history from the cost of a credit check. I just really can't see any headlines there....

Manager in Santa Clara allows immigrant techies, immigrant students and 18 year olds to rent without credit checks! OMG! Other tenants crying outrage! They've been discriminated against for not being people without credit histories!

I keep trying to see it. Maybe tomorrow it will hit me.
It could become a Fair Housing Act situation if you didn't run the credit check on the 18 year old that lives with mom, but you DID run the credit check on a different 18 year old applicant that was pregnant and was trying to rent the apartment for herself and her soon-to-be-born baby. Argument could be you treated the non-pregnant 18 year old that lived with mom different than the pregnant 18 year old because of the pregnancy. You had a higher expectation of her credit/background that wasn't placed upon the 18 year old non-pregnant that lived with mom. Plus you charged the pregnant 18 year old extra money that the non-pregnant 18 year old didn't have to pay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting