Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2013, 08:06 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,523,229 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
It could become a Fair Housing Act situation if you didn't run the credit check on the 18 year old that lives with mom, but you DID run the credit check on a different 18 year old applicant that was pregnant and was trying to rent the apartment for herself and her soon-to-be-born baby. Argument could be you treated the non-pregnant 18 year old that lived with mom different than the pregnant 18 year old because of the pregnancy. You had a higher expectation of her credit/background that wasn't placed upon the 18 year old non-pregnant that lived with mom. Plus you charged the pregnant 18 year old extra money that the non-pregnant 18 year old didn't have to pay.

Okay, so what is the basis of the discrimination then? Age? No. Marital status? Familial status?

Again, the OP was about a woman whose kid turned 18 and who will be an occupant, and she didn't want to have to pay the credit check for a kid who wouldn't have any credit history.

This has nothing to do with a pregnant 18 year old not living with Mom, who wants to rent the apartment in her own name.

What's next, y'all? Sasquatch?

I discriminate against all 18 year olds impregnated by Sasquatch. I don't care if they live with mom or not. Or if they're male or female.

I'm not quite sure if 18 year olds impregnated by Sasquatch are a protected class or not...but I don't care. I won't have one living in my building and that's that.

Last edited by NoMoreSnowForMe; 10-19-2013 at 08:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2013, 10:22 PM

1,263 posts, read 3,282,382 times
There are plenty of 18 yr olds with bad credit and/or a criminal background. Many of them will lie about it, just like 19 yr olds, 20 yr olds, 21 yr olds, etc.

Old 10-20-2013, 03:01 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,033,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL_Whut View Post
There are plenty of 18 yr olds with bad credit and/or a criminal background. Many of them will lie about it, just like 19 yr olds, 20 yr olds, 21 yr olds, etc.

exactly...I can't understand why that's so darn hard for some people to get.

You have 365 days in that 18th year to really screw up and some of them screw it up royally.

Everyone over the age of 18 needs to have a credit and background check done...living with mom, living with dad, living with bf/gf, living on their own. Anyone who is over the age of 18 and will be living in the unit needs a background check done.

Old 10-20-2013, 11:32 AM

Like there aren't any 17, 16, 15 year old criminals? How do you screen them? Best you can do is hope their previous landlord will be honest, if they were a problem.

I see your point in covering your rears by ALWAYS following your rule regarding running checks on all adults in the house, even if they just turned 18 and are still in high school. It's at least one form of insurance when doing your screening.

But, I also have no problem with bending rules sometimes. I guess that's what this debate is really about. Some managers bend rules, others don't.

Old 10-20-2013, 11:40 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,692,777 times
When managing for others... I always followed the rules... it was my job on the line.

For my own rentals, I make the rules and have no one to blame except me.

That said, every adult gets an app and the app is processed the same way for all.

On my rentals... I have done well renting to people with no credit... young 18 and 19 year olds going to school.

I avoid those with bad credit which is different than no credit.

Who's taking your place when you head North?

Old 10-20-2013, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post

Who's taking your place when you head North?
LOL! Will you kick me out of the forum when I retire on Nov 4th?

It looks like one of my tenants will take over for me. I recommended him to the boss, and he is willing.

He is a young lawyer. Moved into the building as a law student, graduated, passed the bar, and is now working for a politician, but I can't remember which one. His specialty, however, is patent law.

He's really smart and organized. And, being a lawyer, he probably won't bend the rules lol! My boss will drive him nuts, likely, because he bends the rules constantly, and well....he's the boss.

He works full-time, but is willing to take this on, too, so he can pay back those massive student loans. He'll just get a free 1 bedroom apt for compensation. Who knows, maybe he'll get experience, then get a real property manager job where you get a free apartment AND a salary :-)

The boss will allow him to screen calls during the day while he's at work. I have most tenants trained to text now, anyway, so he can get a text at work, then if there's a maintenance emergency, he can call the owner to go handle it. And he can schedule showings, etc., for after work or weekends.

He's young, energetic and smart. I think he'll do fine. And I'm always just a phone call away if he ever wants some bad advice.

Old 10-20-2013, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Like there aren't any 17, 16, 15 year old criminals? How do you screen them? Best you can do is hope their previous landlord will be honest, if they were a problem.

I see your point in covering your rears by ALWAYS following your rule regarding running checks on all adults in the house, even if they just turned 18 and are still in high school. It's at least one form of insurance when doing your screening.

But, I also have no problem with bending rules sometimes. I guess that's what this debate is really about. Some managers bend rules, others don't.

Of course there are, but they are minors and protected by the law and generally their records are sealed. Once you hit 18, in the eyes of the law, you're fair game.

I agree about bending rules, but not this rule. Bend a rule that won't effect the neighbors....allowing someone to pay the deposit in 2 payments is one thing, allowing an 18 yr old sex offender move in is another.

Old 10-20-2013, 02:24 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,692,777 times
Quote:

It looks like one of my tenants will take over for me. I recommended him to the boss, and he is willing.

He is a young lawyer. Moved into the building as a law student, graduated, passed the bar, and is now working for a politician, but I can't remember which one. His specialty, however, is patent law.

He's really smart and organized. And, being a lawyer, he probably won't bend the rules lol! My boss will drive him nuts, likely, because he bends the rules constantly, and well....he's the boss.

He works full-time, but is willing to take this on, too, so he can pay back those massive student loans. He'll just get a free 1 bedroom apt for compensation. Who knows, maybe he'll get experience, then get a real property manager job where you get a free apartment AND a salary :-)

The boss will allow him to screen calls during the day while he's at work. I have most tenants trained to text now, anyway, so he can get a text at work, then if there's a maintenance emergency, he can call the owner to go handle it. And he can schedule showings, etc., for after work or weekends.

He's young, energetic and smart. I think he'll do fine. And I'm always just a phone call away if he ever wants some bad advice.
Good luck on the move and make sure you have internet service!

A friend moved North and the Internet is a problem in an otherwise perfect situation... the alternatives get expensive and is just not the same...

Old 10-20-2013, 02:58 PM

Quote:

any great plans for retirement? Not much longer now..I know you've been looking forward to this.

Old 10-20-2013, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Good luck on the move and make sure you have internet service!

A friend moved North and the Internet is a problem in an otherwise perfect situation... the alternatives get expensive and is just not the same...
I know, I'm addicted to this forum. Watch out when I have more time on my hands bwwaaaaaaahaaaahaaaa! (evil laugh)

I actually called AT&T (that's who I use now for internet) and they have serious competition from Charter Cable in Redding, because AT&T doesn't offer TV up there. I only need Internet, can't afford TV. So, they offered to give me twice the speed for $10 less per month than I'm paying here, and no installation or set-up charges. Charter has a special that will match that price, roughly, but then I'd have to buy another wireless router and pay hook-up charges, etc. So I feel like ATT did me right. Charter internet is even faster, but I don't need any more speed. All I do is stream Netflix and surf the internet.

Supposedly my self-install instructions will be waiting for me when I get there, and the service will be on and ready to go.

Cross your fingers for me it's true :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
any great plans for retirement? Not much longer now..I know you've been looking forward to this.
One of the things I'd love to do is get a dog! I've been dog-less for nearly 10 years, since I've lived here and my new place will allow dogs. My old dog has lived with my daughter for the last 10 years. Still going strong :-)

My new apt is in an old refurbished hotel, and my apt is on the second floor and down a hall to the elevator or stairs. So, taking the pooch outside will be a bit of a pain at night. I'm not sure how safe it will be. I'll be glad for the exercise to go out a couple times a day. But night makes me nervous. There's no grass around the hotel, as it's downtown. So, hopefully, I could train it to go out in the street by the curb (and of course pick up the mess, don't worry :-). Maybe I could train it to use piddle pads or something for nighttime needs.

Anyway, I'd love to get a dog to pal around with and maybe get involved with some dog training groups. This always looked like a blast to me:

Shasta Splash Dog Dock Jumping Club

I also saw somewhere that there's a group that gets together to walk their small dogs once a week.

Other than that, I figure I'll volunteer a lot. Probably at the animal shelter. Also, there's a mission up the street that prepares 3 meals a day for homeless/poor people. I figure they can use a helping hand.

My boss was here yesterday, lamenting that I'm moving. Nice to be appreciated. And he asked me what I'll do with myself. He said my mind is good and I'm relatively young, and I'm good with people, and good at managing, don't I still want to work? I said no. I'm really looking forward to not having to be nice to people who are being jerks to me (doesn't happen often, but I do get the occasional angry tenant who I have to baby into a better mood). I won't have people calling me at midnight asking me how to open a window, and on and on.

He said he can't picture me just sitting around thinking happy thoughts. I can! LOL! I will read, and take my dog for walks, and volunteer in the soup kitchen, and, of course, lurk on the forums....

Nice of you to ask.

Last edited by NoMoreSnowForMe; 10-20-2013 at 05:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting