Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 04:54 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
Look on Craigslist; they sell bedside pottychairs for next to nothing. A bedside potty chair is simply another version of a bucket. All he needs is a bucket for 6 hours. He can get scented plastic bags as liners for each time he needs to use it. Humans wear diapers....how is that more sanitary than eliminating in a plastic bag and using wet wipes for a period of 6 hours?????
He's going to the bloody library so won't need a bucket.

Old 08-30-2012, 05:03 PM

1,595 posts, read 2,764,625 times
Well I just found this thread when the problem is now solved, figures. To the OP I completely agree with you about not agreeing with the handicapped tenant using a freaking tub, bucket or anything else other than a real toilet. It is nuts to allow a handicapped person to do that. Now a person who isn't handicapped that I could see if they choose to, though I would find it disgusting, for the short amount of only 6 hours needed. It's a whole different issue and yes set of rules when it comes to the handicapped.

If I had to I'd drive him to the Library myself assuming he's not in a wheelchair. That would not be asking too much. Although he should have a social worker to find a place to put him.

Old 08-30-2012, 05:46 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,221,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FabricGal View Post
UPDATE

Problem solved.

Tenant's mom is taking him out to breakfast, then dropping him off at the library with snacks. Later, she will pick him up and drive him home. Her BF's "unscheduled" surgery is not scheduled for this week.

Tenant admitted his ideas had problematic issues, and also said it was likely that he'd be "kicking the bucket" or knocking over the bucket and making a mess of things, spilling what's in the bucket, stepping in it, slipping etc.

Thanks for the compassionate answers and the landlord-supportive ones too.

For the other judgmental and critical posts, well, glad you can't read my mind.
And I'm sure we are just as glad you can't read ours. Talk about Boundary and Control issues.

Old 09-01-2012, 03:27 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,202,662 times
Tenant is obviously a nice person taking the path of least resistance.
To those of you that think potties are 'disgusting'....let's hope neither you or any of your family ever be in the position to need one.
Maybe you'll be lucky and they'll only use diapers.

Old 09-01-2012, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Tenant is obviously a nice person taking the path of least resistance.
To those of you that think potties are 'disgusting'....let's hope neither you or any of your family ever be in the position to need one.
Maybe you'll be lucky and they'll only use diapers.

They are disgusting comparing it to using diapers doesn't make it any less disgusting. I had one for my Father and believe me it was disgusting, necessary but disgusting. Your comparison to let's hope we never need to use diapers or a potty doesn't apply to this situation. It doesn't make you sound more compasionate towards the handicapped either. It does show you don't understand handicapped people come in all shapes, sizws and with different abilities and limits. Thare aren't all the same. The OP made it clear that he is not steady to begin with that in of itself should let people know a potty is not a good idea for this handicapped person. I'm sorry to have to tell you this but you made if quite clear you don't see it. In this situation there was no need for it and to expect a handicapped person who isn't steady to begin with to use one is inexcusable. Its not a matter of giving this handicapped man a choice it's a matter of being respectful of his handicap and having some decencency and respect for him. It's about at the very least having some small amount of human decency to try and help the guy use a freaking real toilet for 6 hours. Aside from the need to use a toilet conider also that there may be very loud noise while doing the plumbing work and he cannot cook or use any drinking water either. staying at the library or with another person was a good idea and most of all respectful to the handicap person. Had a landlord told my handicapped Father, Brother or any handicap member of my family to use a potty in the apartment I would be furious.

Old 09-01-2012, 11:09 AM

It wasn't the landlord's suggestion that the tenant use a temporary toilet but the tenant himself. The landlord wasn't agreeable to this. Wasn't sure from your response whether you realized that or not.

Old 09-01-2012, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
It wasn't the landlord's suggestion that the tenant use a temporary toilet but the tenant himself. The landlord wasn't agreeable to this. Wasn't sure from your response whether you realized that or not.

I know it was the tenants idea that was obvious. I don't see why you thought I meant the landlord suggested it when I made it clear I agree with the landlord not allowing the use of a potty. My response was to the negativity of the landlords (OP) not allowing the tenant to use the potty. The OP was and is right to not allow the use of a potty for this handicapped tenant. The tenant may have thought he was doing right by asking to use a potty instead of staying some where for one day but it was not a good idea. Had a LL allowed that regardless of who's idea it was or if my relative asked to and the LL allowed it I would, as I said before, be furious.

Last edited by Lolipopbubbles; 09-01-2012 at 11:21 AM.. Reason: Post #42: To the OP I completely agree with you about not agreeing with the handicapped tenant using a freaking tub, bucket o

Old 09-01-2012, 11:38 AM

No problem, just that the last sentence of your post had me momentarily confused.

Old 09-01-2012, 02:27 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,490,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolipopbubbles View Post
They are disgusting comparing it to using diapers doesn't make it any less disgusting. I had one for my Father and believe me it was disgusting, necessary but disgusting. Your comparison to let's hope we never need to use diapers or a potty doesn't apply to this situation. It doesn't make you sound more compasionate towards the handicapped either. It does show you don't understand handicapped people come in all shapes, sizws and with different abilities and limits. Thare aren't all the same. The OP made it clear that he is not steady to begin with that in of itself should let people know a potty is not a good idea for this handicapped person. I'm sorry to have to tell you this but you made if quite clear you don't see it. In this situation there was no need for it and to expect a handicapped person who isn't steady to begin with to use one is inexcusable. Its not a matter of giving this handicapped man a choice it's a matter of being respectful of his handicap and having some decencency and respect for him. It's about at the very least having some small amount of human decency to try and help the guy use a freaking real toilet for 6 hours. Aside from the need to use a toilet conider also that there may be very loud noise while doing the plumbing work and he cannot cook or use any drinking water either. staying at the library or with another person was a good idea and most of all respectful to the handicap person. Had a landlord told my handicapped Father, Brother or any handicap member of my family to use a potty in the apartment I would be furious.
A man doesn't need to sit down to go #1. It's not like he is going to get off of his wheelchair and attempt to get onto a wobbly bucket. He also volunteered to use a jar. He could have stayed sitting in his wheelchair to use a bucket or a jar. He even offered to go outdoors to do this.

The guy wanted to stay home.

The tenant is the one that requested to use a bucket or jar because he didn't want to leave the dwelling. The tenant didn't have an issue with expected noise from the construction and cooking wasn't an issue for him. He simply wanted to stay home.

The buckets/porta potties are not disgusting if you clean them on a daily basis. They get bad if you let them linger for days without cleaning.

Old 09-01-2012, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
A man doesn't need to sit down to go #1.
What an eye-opener! Learn something new every day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting