Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2012, 07:36 AM

3,078 posts, read 4,373,819 times

Advertisements

AC is useless where I am - maybe it's the same where OP is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2012, 07:54 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,664,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breeinmo. View Post
Dale, your situation sounds horrible and scary, sorry you have to live that way. I know nothing about this topic, but like the suggestion about using pepper spray or maybe just put tabasco in a spray bottle? I have no idea if thats dangerous to a dog, so please check it out 1st. I feel you have to make the dogs scared of you, I also worry that your pup will be hurt by the loose dogs. With your bad health, you probably wouldnt be able to protect him/her if they get attacked.

Some people dont realize how fragile we get as we age. I know I about have a heart attack if I trip and feel I'm going to fall, so get what you're saying. If nothing else, use water in a spray bottle. Yes it'll be a pain to have to keep it with you, but maybe after a few squirts they'll leave you alone. Good luck and btw love your name. My beloved uncle had the same, and everytime I see you post it brings back such loving memories. I sure miss that man.
Quote:
Originally Posted by breeinmo. View Post
Frugal, I see why you mentioned you're a dog owner, as I fear making some mad about what we're suggesting. My 2 pups are my babies and I'm a HUGE dog lover. Its a shame dogs have to be punished instead of the owners.
Thank you. Yes, I'm more afraid for my dog than for myself. If a dog attacks my dog (yes, it has happened; she has a scar on her face as a result), I don't know if I could control my own leashed dog whilst fighting off the loose dog. And I shouldn't have to worry about it in a gated complex with nice courtyards. It's not like I'm taking a stroll through the ghetto or around a dog-fighting ring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
The OP needs to call Animal Control and tell them what they told us here. If the landlord truly refuses to help, then AC will. The OP can also put a call into the police dept and ask them how to handle this.

Drama isn't needed. Name calling isn't needed. Big boy/girl panties are....so put some on and make some calls.
Reading is a good thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
But, thats the problem and issue, the OP doesn't want to make the calls or do anything but tell the property manager.
See my post above about reading being a good thing.

I've called Animal Control many, many times. I KNOW the procedure, as I so stated.

Old 10-21-2012, 05:59 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
The answer to your original question is: no the landlord can not make the other tenants behave. He is not their mommy and giving them demerits doesn't work. The landlord is not a dictator, nor is he the police. He is probably not a Mob boss who can break their legs if they disobey. He can not enforce laws and he can not force other people to act only as he wishes them to act.

I would not tolerate irresponsible pet ownership in a building that I own, but I have rules about dogs in my rental agreement that I can (attempt to) enforce. Even if it is in the rental agreement, the courts will sometimes refuse to evict for no more reason than poor dog behavior. Just what do you expect the landlord to do?

My suggestion is that you write to the owner of the building and point out that the situation is unsafe, the manager refuses to do anything, and it might get them involved in a lawsuit is someone is injured by the out of control dogs. Maybe that will work, maybe it won't, but it is worth a try.

In the meantime, a couple of options for you. Get a sprayer bottle, fill it with water and add a tablespoon of lemon juice. Spritz the invading dog in the eyes. It won't do permanent injury and won't hurt you if the wind is wrong and you get it on yourself.

Better yet, get yourself a walking stick and when the dog approaches, stand still and point the stick at the center of the dog's chest. Don't wave the stick, don't strike the dog, don't make noise, don't move. Keep your own dog pulled close to you and just keep the stick pointed at the center of the invading dog's chest. The dog won't come past the stick and he will soon give up and leave.

One last bit if suggestion. If you insult the people who are trying to help you, they might stop trying to help. I don't have any problem imagining why the manager doesn't want to help you

Old 10-22-2012, 04:44 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,004,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Thank you. Yes, I'm more afraid for my dog than for myself. If a dog attacks my dog (yes, it has happened; she has a scar on her face as a result), I don't know if I could control my own leashed dog whilst fighting off the loose dog. And I shouldn't have to worry about it in a gated complex with nice courtyards. It's not like I'm taking a stroll through the ghetto or around a dog-fighting ring.

Reading is a good thing.

See my post above about reading being a good thing.

I've called Animal Control many, many times. I KNOW the procedure, as I so stated.
I can read. Can you?

You've gotten excellent advice and all you can come with one whine after another.

Continue to call AC over and over until they get sick of hearing from you. Call the police until they get sick of hearing from you. Call your landlord until they get sick...oh, nevermind, they are already sick of hearing from you. Maybe it's time you moved.

Old 02-04-2014, 08:23 AM

1 posts, read 2,444 times
Just keep a baseball bat handy and let them know any dog who approaches you will be struck for self defense reasons. There is no reason any dog should be allowed to run freely in a public place. Especially a condo/apartment complex in which one resides. This is extremely rude and selfish of the dog owners to not keep their dogs on a leash. I own a dog and know its nobodys responsibility but my own to keep my dog out of people's buisness and personal space. Basically I'm not a peice of dogsh*t like most dog owners today.

Old 02-04-2014, 08:46 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,279,249 times
NO! Apt Mgr is NOT responsible to enforcing Laws! In this case its the JOB of the Dog Warden.

Old 02-04-2014, 09:10 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,968,136 times
A landlord has the ability (in many sates a duty) to establish rules related to health and safety. Some states require property owners of multi-family complexes to abide and enforce certain civil codes for their common areas as is required in public areas. This is why the private parking areas of a complex can have civil enfocement of disable parking rules. his si why a lease term stating must not use the unit in violation of criminal codes is legal and enforceable without spelling out each and every violation. The landlord may be required to take action (as outlined in the lease or authorized by state law) against any tenant who is found violating certain civil codes while on the landlord's property. This does not eman the landlord is acting an a public servant in the enfocement of those rules, but rather they are enforceing certain civil rules through the power granted a landlord to take action against a tenant for violating the lease.

Old 02-06-2014, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
NO! Apt Mgr is NOT responsible to enforcing Laws! In this case its the JOB of the Dog Warden.
The apt manger most certainly is responsible for the actions of the tenants and/or their dogs. If there is a dog issue (roaming without lease, not curbing the dog, aggressive dog ) the manager will want to know and will address it with the tenant. Here in Florida landlords can be held responsible for the actions of their tenant's dogs.

We have a very aggressive Shepard breed in the next building...the girl who owns him can't control him on a lease and he lunges at people and he lunges at dogs. Just two weeks ago I was walking my new puppy in the dog area and her dog got out and rushed at me and my dog. He picked my dog up by the neck and started shaking him....lets just say that her dog was 'choked' out and let my dog go...the owner had the balls to come and yell at me!!! I was calm the whole time and she's freaking out because I had her dog pinned to the ground...really? Control your friggin beast. She took him by the collar and he got away from her as we were leaving and he lunged at us again and nicely placed raised knee to the face stopped him and he took off. It took her 20 mins to catch the dog....she was still yelling at me..lol...I nicely told her she needs to learn how to train her damn dog.

Thankfully my dog wasn't injured, just scared to death. Not only did I report her to the manager, I reported her to AC as well. When I spoke to the manager she said that I wasn't the only complaint they received about this dog and that they will be contacting their lawyer about it and sending her a warning letter. And AC came out the next day to talk to them.

If I had gotten bit or my dog was injured..I could sue both parties. A) the owner for being an asshat and having a dog she can't control and B) the complex for allowing such an aggressive dog for being there.

Sadly we can't deal with roaming dogs here in the city like we used to in the county...Shoot, Shovel and Shut-up...worked like a charm every time.

Old 02-06-2014, 09:16 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post

Sadly we can't deal with roaming dogs here in the city like we used to in the county...Shoot, Shovel and Shut-up...worked like a charm every time.
I had to laugh out loud at this. When I lived in the country in WA, my neighbor's dog kept chasing my cow around. Who wants to eat a skinny cow? Anyway, the owner said they weren't going to do anything about it. I called the sheriff (only animal control option out there) and he said I could shoot it, or did i want him to come out and shoot it?

Now that's what I call animal control...

If I had dogs roaming loose at an apt complex I was in, I'd call animal control and let the owner pay to bail it out constantly...until they got sick of paying for it and either let someone else adopt the dog, it gets put down...or...they actually start controlling their dog.

Oh, and if I was the manager at that complex, I'd be sure the pet addendum said that animal control will be called to pick up any loose dogs on the property. I wouldn't baby anyone, and any complaints about bad behavior would earn a warning, and eventually a notice to move out.

Old 02-06-2014, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I had to laugh out loud at this. When I lived in the country in WA, my neighbor's dog kept chasing my cow around. Who wants to eat a skinny cow? Anyway, the owner said they weren't going to do anything about it. I called the sheriff (only animal control option out there) and he said I could shoot it, or did i want him to come out and shoot it?

Now that's what I call animal control...

If I had dogs roaming loose at an apt complex I was in, I'd call animal control and let the owner pay to bail it out constantly...until they got sick of paying for it and either let someone else adopt the dog, it gets put down...or...they actually start controlling their dog.

Oh, and if I was the manager at that complex, I'd be sure the pet addendum said that animal control will be called to pick up any loose dogs on the property. I wouldn't baby anyone, and any complaints about bad behavior would earn a warning, and eventually a notice to move out.

I've done my fair share of shooting dogs and cats and I'm not proud of it. But, when you spend your blood, sweat and tears (not to mention money) on your livestock, you get a bit pissy when a dog starts eating your chickens or attacking your goats. There is nothing worse that male cat spray..and they will spray everything and anything....not to mention of the litters upon litters of cats they breed..it's sad. We had barn cats, but they were all fixed and vaccinated and tagged. They didn't l eave the property.

Our Sherriff and local officer told us the same thing...we have a right to protect our investment and our livestock was our investment. Mind you, the option to kill was always, always the last one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting