Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 05:43 PM

32,650 posts, read 48,053,996 times

Advertisements

The move-out inspection is not the final word. The landlord can still find things that need repairs when he has more time to look, and an inspection when there are still furniture and boxes in the place is worthless because all sorts of damage can be covered up. tenants can do additional damage after the inspection. The tenant is still liable for all of that.

Cleaning the stove involves lifting the lid and cleaning under that, cleaning the burner pans, pulling out the bottom drawer and cleaning both that and under it. Just running the self-cleaning oven is not enough.

Paying to have a house cleaned is very expensive. It costs me about $350 to have professionals come in and clean a house, and after they are done, I have to go in and finish cleaning it myself, because they don't do a good enough job. So if there is cleaning coming out of a deposit, it is going to be costly.

If you have good photos when you moved in, copies of correspondence, and good photos when you moved out, you can fight it. Unfortunately, being so far away, I think you are probably just out of luck. I hope you are being charged for actual cleaning, but it is possible that the bill has been padded. Still, are you going to go back to fight it? I am disgusted by landlords who cheat on deposits, but I charge actual documented costs and it adds up really fast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2012, 06:21 PM

4,399 posts, read 10,672,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlitosBala View Post
Yup, there it is. That's where half of your security deposit is going.
I guess you clean microwaves really slow?

Old 12-07-2012, 02:32 PM

216 posts, read 605,800 times
Well, it should get interesting at least -- they got back to me again and said they're sending me a "move out inspection video" showing that I left things in the dishwasher, the refrigerator, and the cabinets. I am 100% confident that we did not do this. I'm wondering if the property manager sent someone else to inspect and they looked at the wrong apartment or something.

We even had a family member who still lives near there go through the house the day after we left, since we left in a hurry, to make sure we didn't forget anything. He agrees that there were no dishes/etc in there, period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting