Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2012, 10:28 AM

32,658 posts, read 48,053,996 times

Advertisements

If the dogs must potty inside the house, for example if they are service dogs and the owner is completely disabled and can't get outside, then there should be a plastic tray under their potty area. Having dogs pee inside the house on newspapers is filthy and disgusting.

If manager is complaining about service dogs outside, ( in the first place she isn't legally allowed to) my bet is that OP lets the dogs crap all over the place and doesn't clean up after them.

Apparently, OP is physically capable of walking the dogs outside, but just can't be inconvenienced.

Since "service dog" was obtained as a puppy, it is also my bet that the "service dog" isn't really a service dog, but that OP is gaming the disability laws to allow herself to break rules.

Old 12-21-2012, 11:07 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
I was Cooking! LOL No Dogs Arent allowed Outside Mgr Orders! Everytime I went out with them she Complain! I seen them out After she leaves & days she not here just for exercise. Yes I wrote her Very Nice letters Maybe time to be mean about it! I didnt HAVE Roaches then!
Purely my own opinion but maybe you and I have different opinions about cleanliness where cooking is concerned. Until recently I owned and operated a restaurant for 16 years and my commercial stovetop never looked like that even in the middle of a busy evening. I now do catering out of my home and after a day of cooking my residential stovetop would never look like yours for a minute. I live in a tropical climate where roaches abound and you learn to clean as you go - properly. You may not have had roaches when you took the photo but it's not surprising that you have them now if the grime on the stove is indicative even of how it looks when you're cooking a simple meal. That sort of dirt is more indicative of someone cooking for a battalion on a mess shift.

Unless there is a specific clause in your lease which prohibits you from taking your dogs outside on a leash to walk/do their business (highly unlikely and of course you would take a scooper and a bag to remove and properly dispose of their deposits) your rationale/excuse just doesn't fly. I note that you have a "service dog" - but obviously more than one dog so maybe more than one is more than you can properly handle. You might want to give this some serious thought. That whole interior dog bathroom set-up is simply unacceptable and something which I think the local Health Department would agree with.

Good luck.

Old 12-21-2012, 11:23 AM

13,927 posts, read 39,302,018 times
Yes there is a tray I used! Came out of the Largest crate I could find. But when we moved in here it wouldnt Fit in anywhere. So I purchased a piece of vynal my son layed that in the closet. Its still there. Papers cover it. But I still have Kevin coat the floor with Johnsons Paste Wax cause the chems we use to clean strips the wax off. Actually Most of what I claim to do its my Son doing it! I am Disabled Katie was Home trained by me BUT before I recieved my Pet Deposit back They had me Demo Everything she does for me & More! She does Phy assit for me Not Mental. But amazingly once me & my son started living together Kevin has nightmares from being hit by the car. Katies can Tell Me just before he starts Screeming! Gives me time to go wake him up! It getting less now time & the meds the shrink put him on. But she still goes between us at nite sleeping with him then me back & forth. She getting old 8 yrs old end of April 2013. So I got LadyBug When I got her at 4 months old I OFFERED to pay Pet Deposit & monthy pet fee! Mgr Refused. Do I think she a Service Dog NO! Do I think she Will be a Service Dog Maybe LOL But with the way the Mgr is acting My Lawyers told me Not to change her to a pet! LadyBug is just now being dependable going potty! She rarely used the papers or litterbox... She Mainly when she loose in the pat got to the patio door & scraches on the glass to go out. I put her on rope she goes potty outside! Kevin goes out with the pooper scooper & picks it up bags it & tosses it int the dumpster. I really pleased with the arrangement. BUT IF she needs to potty & Cant get outside she will use the papers! to me Win-Win. The only way I get outside is by Mobility Scooter. No I cant walk in grass I have fell in the past. But also like I said when the apt mgr is here I cant let them out with out her complaining about them! When Katie was a pupy I moved on the 4th floor Tho there was an elatator I couldnt get her out I had to train her to 1st walk safely with the scooter. Then teach her to go in & out of the elavator quietly and calm. So was No choice but to continue her paper training. I got the tray put papers in it & set it outside in warm weather inside in dead of winter. When we moved her she go out side go for walks but as soon as we got back she go straight to her papers! Even with LadyBug going outside she still uses her papers. Kevin pick up the wet or pooed papers when she dont takes them to the dumpster. 3 times a week her changes & scrubes the whole area. Ladybugs litterbox get changes as soon as she done & I bleach it in the tub on my shower chair Daily & toss it buy new every 3 months! She only uses it in her crate & as she getting more dependable she spends less time in it. Nights & when we out drs paying bills shoping etc. What she Failing at is Walking by my scooter without getting run over ugh!

Old 12-21-2012, 11:28 AM

Has Anyone used the RAID Foggers? I was given 4 small cans today! I to use 2 in the Kitchen 1 in the closet where the Hot Water heater is 1 in the Bathroom! What about the 2 bedrooms & huge living room/dinning??

Old 12-21-2012, 11:30 AM

BTW Doggie indoor litterboxes are all the rage & sell like hotcakes so NO Different that Cat Litterboxes & NOT a Health issue! So Quit Harping on my Dogs!

Old 12-21-2012, 11:36 AM

The Question is HOW do I get the Apt Mgr to take resposibility of getting rid of the roaches! There is nothing in the lease about extemanators. Only my responsibility to have the dogs crated when they come.

Old 12-21-2012, 11:38 AM

2,091 posts, read 7,518,242 times
I was going to suggest foggers to get into crevices. The amount of square feet they cover is on the label. You'll need to get you and your pets out of there immediately after setting them off, and stay out for at least 3 hours. Then air the place out for a good half hour before re-entering. You probably used them incorrectly already. Go buy more.

Old 12-21-2012, 11:48 AM
jw2

2,028 posts, read 3,266,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
The Question is HOW do I get the Apt Mgr to take resposibility of getting rid of the roaches! There is nothing in the lease about extemanators. Only my responsibility to have the dogs crated when they come.
Just give the link of this thread to your apartment manager and your Section 8 caseworker and I am sure the problem will be fixed. I am not sure it is the problem you think it is, however.

Old 12-21-2012, 11:50 AM

2,091 posts, read 7,518,242 times
Generally landlord tenant law states that the landlord is responsible for maintain a pest free place. You have the internet, go look it up.

Old 12-22-2012, 12:03 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
The question is really simple...

Either the unit meets Housing Quality Standards or it doesn't.

Units the fail are given a time frame to achieve compliance... sometime and extension is granted.

Two consecutive failures, barring something very unusual, result in rent abatement.

Abated rent cannot be recovered since the unit has been found in repeated violation.

Once the rent is abated due to the landlord's action or inaction... the tenant can request a transfer certificate...

Personally, I have found all the spray ineffective... they really only are effective on contact.

The gel or boric acid in a product like Roach Proof can be very effective over the course of several weeks.

If replacement roaches continue to infiltrate from the outside... all bets are off.

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 12-23-2012 at 04:04 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting