Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 10:19 AM

3 posts, read 16,736 times

Advertisements

I rented a room in from a landlord that owned a house and rented out the rooms to different tenants. The landlord sold his other house and was moving into the rental house with his family (wife and adult child). He wanted the tenants to leave but I had a 6 month lease. He wrote 2 threatening letters and slid them under my door stating if I didn't pay back monies owed on things like yard work and repairs, things I didn't owe, he was putting my property out on the streets in three days. He went as far as manhandling my friend to kick him out of the house while trying to help me copy lease and yanked the lease from his hand threw it to his son and refused to give back to me until he looked at it. Police was called and they advise me to move out that night because the landlord was not interested in listening to anybody about the law. I moved the next day. I paid moving company and expense for emergency shelter. Can I sue for my cost or hardships?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2013, 10:39 AM

27,220 posts, read 46,850,640 times
Yes if what you stated is true and you have proof you can sue for moving costs, etc.

Old 01-11-2013, 11:14 AM

16,375 posts, read 22,545,370 times
Get a copy of the police report with the policy telling you to move and with the rest of the situation documented.

IMO, the police were wrong. But you were forced out the the police didn't help you like they should have. It sounds like the cop didn't know your rights, unfortunately.

You should easily win this court case but how much money do you sue for? I guess the moving and the emergency shelter and any living expenses for the next 6 months that are above what you were paying rent.

You should find free lawyer service for your situation.

Old 01-12-2013, 11:18 AM

32,723 posts, read 48,321,659 times
I suspect there is another side to this story.

In many states, the landlord can cancel your lease if he is moving back into the property himself. Even without that, if you haven't paid money you owe, he can kick you out. Notes under your door means you received notice.

You can try suing, but lawsuits can go either way. You need proof of everything you accuse, and the landlord gets to tell his version of how things went (which I suspect is really different than your version). If the judge decides against you, it might cost you a lot of money.

You moved out voluntarily at the advice of the police, who are not the best place to get your legal advice. The police are not lawyers and they did not order you out. You made the decision to leave on your own.

The landlord is not responsible for bad decisions on your part, so your basis for a lawsuit is pretty weak. I suspect that you and the landlord both handled it badly, but I think you are wasting your time trying a lawsuit.

Old 01-12-2013, 11:33 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,834,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
In many states, the landlord can cancel your lease if he is moving back into the property himself.
Can you post a link to support that? I've never heard of this loophole so am curious. Thanks.

Old 01-12-2013, 01:25 PM

1,092 posts, read 3,443,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Can you post a link to support that? I've never heard of this loophole so am curious. Thanks.
The LL still has to give you 30 to 60 days notice depending on the state law. They can't hustle you out in 3 days just because they want to move back in.

Old 01-12-2013, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litlove71 View Post
The LL still has to give you 30 to 60 days notice depending on the state law. They can't hustle you out in 3 days just because they want to move back in.
The LL has to honor the lease period and can't arbitrarily cancel it whether it's a month to month or a term lease. He can buy out the tenant if the tenant is agreeable but I don't know of any provision in any state law which says that just because a landlord wants to move back into his property he can kick out a tenant. I thought that maybe if the poster who said this knew of some state or some law which decreed otherwise it would be interesting to see it.

Old 02-25-2013, 07:26 AM

3 posts, read 16,736 times
Update, After I moved and asked for the deposit back he refused to give it to me stating he will give 300 back if I sign a note saying I wont sue him.
About different sides of the story, during talking to the police we had the same story. He is just so arrogant he thinks he is the king of his castle he can do what he want to anyone he wants in his own house.

Old 02-25-2013, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadandee View Post
Update, After I moved and asked for the deposit back he refused to give it to me stating he will give 300 back if I sign a note saying I wont sue him.
About different sides of the story, during talking to the police we had the same story. He is just so arrogant he thinks he is the king of his castle he can do what he want to anyone he wants in his own house.
Have you sought legal advice yet? If not, what are you waiting for?

Old 09-20-2014, 07:22 AM

1 posts, read 5,262 times
Default There wrong not me

I called fair housing on my mngmnt for discrimination and repairs and got evicted I've lived there10yrs never late on my rent or missed my rent in 10yrs but because of the relationship my mngmnt and fair housing have they accused me of threatening neighbors (staff member who lives 2 blocks away they gave her a jobfor filing a false police report on me)as well as 10 other things none they had proof of. I have pictures videos and paper work to prove I was not only discriminated against for being gay they turned my life upside down with the help of the fairhousing Dept hard case but I need to figure out a method of attack after eviction I know retaliation is one as well as abuse of process any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by uwontbelievethis; 09-20-2014 at 07:26 AM.. Reason: more misspelled words
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting