Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 10:05 AM

32,650 posts, read 48,053,996 times

Advertisements

OP, you are going to have to ask the landlord for permission before your brother moves in. He is not on the lease, and your landlord can limit occupancy to one person, if you are the only one on the lease and he rented the unit for occupancy by one person. You can not just start moving people in with you.

If the landlord says "no", you will have to tell the brother and your mother that you can not allow the brother to stay with you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2013, 10:18 AM

858 posts, read 1,807,943 times
Are you and your fiancee on the lease or just you? How long is your brother staying? No matter what we tell you, you must ask the LL before your brother moves in with you.

Old 02-02-2013, 11:47 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merjolie8 View Post
Are you and your fiancee on the lease or just you?
She said they are "getting an apartment" and commented on, "if my name is on the lease" ... so I'd assume this is not yet a fait accompli or, if something has been signed, only her fiancé's name is on any documents.

Old 02-02-2013, 11:58 AM

13,927 posts, read 39,302,018 times
OP IF you havent Moved into the 1 bedroom Why Not just go find a 2 bedroom Inc you Brother on the lease. Then everything is legal.

Old 02-02-2013, 12:48 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,158,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
OP IF you havent Moved into the 1 bedroom Why Not just go find a 2 bedroom Inc you Brother on the lease. Then everything is legal.

We're talking about a lot more rent in NYC - may not be financially possible for the OP. (Even if the brother were to have the funds to contribute)

Old 02-02-2013, 08:06 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,260,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatemyplace View Post
My fiance and I are getting a 1BR in NYC Midtown east area.

Living room= 21" X 12"
Bedroom= 16" X 11"

However recently my brother moved into the city and since he's new and young is forced to stay with me (when I mean forced I mean I was forced due to my sisterly obligations. Also. Read: Parents)

My question is, are 3 people allowed to live in a 1BR. This assuming the fact I can put up a partition like a bookcase wall or pressurized wall somewhere. To make it a partial 2 br.

I know if my name is on the lease, I can have an IMMEDIATE family (my brother) and one other person (fiance). Just clarifying if I got this right. I know the landlord can say no, due to overcrowding- but with the specs given above, is it still allowed?
What you should really do is ask the landlord. I'm sure he/she knows the occupancy limit for his rental. Plus, he might want every adult residing in the apartment on the lease. If the apt is legal for 3 adults, then you can also ask what you would be allowed to do (legally) in order to make the bedroom situation a little more comfortable.

I don't know what kind of a building this apt is in or if the LL owns the entire building and if he contracts his own contractors or if there is a super reporting to a management office...you don't want to have an issue pop up and have a super come fix something and see an illegal set up (living room partitioned off in to a bedroom) and report you.

Good Luck!

Old 02-21-2013, 06:11 PM

16 posts, read 84,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
We're talking about a lot more rent in NYC - may not be financially possible for the OP. (Even if the brother were to have the funds to contribute)

Hahah yeah true. it was only supposed to be me and my fiance. Not my brother. Getting a 2 BR means an extra 2000-3000$ sigh! But I still have a lease with my current place, and will move soon. I talk to the LL of the apt and he said it's ok.

Anyways we ended up agreeing that he will only stay for a week or two when he comes and we'll help him find an apt on his own, cause I can't fathom living with a family member.

Thanks to everyone and their help!!!!

Old 02-22-2013, 03:12 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,026,661 times
Our complex only allows 2 pp for a one bedroom. If caught allowing a third ( or more) ppl living there, you'll be given a 3 day notice, next step is eviction.

Guests are allowed to stay up to 14 consective days, anything after that they are considered tenants and will be evicted.

Old 02-22-2013, 03:15 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
Sisterly Obligations? What a crock. Your parents have the ONLY obligation to house this child IF he is a minor, if not HE is the ONLY ONE who has an obligation to care for himself. Which means "NO Sisterly Obligations = NO ISSUES".

Old 02-22-2013, 04:29 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Sisterly Obligations? What a crock. Your parents have the ONLY obligation to house this child IF he is a minor, if not HE is the ONLY ONE who has an obligation to care for himself. Which means "NO Sisterly Obligations = NO ISSUES".
Read back a couple of posts and you'll see that the issue was resolved before your (unhelpful) contribution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting