Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2013, 07:31 AM

1 posts, read 834 times

Advertisements

I've been living here for almost 2 years. About a year ago, we got 2 new workers (repair men) who are very busy men who seem harried.

I feel sorry for them as they work very hard for a stern property manager.

The problem is these guys are smoking in our basement while working or hanging out and it is seeping up into our hallways and our apartment.

The lease says no smoking in the hallways. This should apply to the workers, shouldn't it?

I've been ignoring it but I work from home and have been finding it worse and worse as the days pass. I have found it also encourages other smokers in the building to light up inside or hang out right in the hall and smoke.

It's bad enough that we didn't know we were moving into a building that has a storage unit below and a place they use as a workshop.

They have a workshop in another part of the property but lately hang out here. Guys from off the property also come to our building to eat lunch in the basement and smoke. We have to walk past the door where the smoking is coming from.

So what do you recommend? I don't want these guys hassled but it is not my job to ask them to stop smoking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2013, 08:18 AM

912 posts, read 5,268,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMason21 View Post
So what do you recommend? I don't want these guys hassled but it is not my job to ask them to stop smoking.
Its not your job to ask them to stop smoking, but it is your duty if this bothers you.

Next time you see them, engage them in conversation like the human beings that they are, and kindly remind them that the building is non-smoking, and that their smoking is seeping into the hallways and the rest of the building. Remain calm and friendly.

If that doesn't work, contact the property manager.

Old 02-20-2013, 10:51 AM

18,486 posts, read 31,694,560 times
To me, smoking in a basement is a fire hazzard, that would worry me.

call management immdeiately, never mind their feelings, i rather them get annoyed than have the building go on fire.

smoke outside like everyone else has too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting