Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 09:59 PM

21 posts, read 160,119 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I just moved into an apt and it has a "sprinkler" on the ceiling during above me, I am not sure what kind of "sprinkler" it is but I think it is wax coated ? There is a thin red bar in visible in the sprinkler.

I like to smoke hookahs a lot and would it be safe to do it in my room? I do not smoke regular cigarettes.

And what kind of precautions do I need to take, just in case.....

I also have similar sprinklers in the closet and as well as the bathroom and of course outside in other rooms as well.

P.S- Landlord is fine with smoking inside....but is not sure about the sprinkler....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2009, 10:05 PM

3,062 posts, read 7,035,544 times
Asking for advice on how to break the law is not permitted on this forum.

Old 09-13-2009, 10:40 PM

69 posts, read 173,411 times
Most likely, the thin red bar is designed to melt/open when it gets too hot (ie in a fire), allowing the water to spray out of the sprinkler. Smoke on it's own (especially from a cigarette) typically doesn't do anything to sprinklers, since it is not hot enough.

Also, there is nothing illegal about a hookah. What you put in to the hookah may be illegal, but many people use hookahs to smoke regular and/or flavored tobacco.

Old 09-13-2009, 10:47 PM

21 posts, read 160,119 times
yeah, i just smoke flavored tobacco in hookahs, shisha, no different from a regular cigarette.....

Old 09-14-2009, 06:32 AM

6,453 posts, read 9,814,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles22 View Post
I read the OP's post 3 times and I never saw where they were asking how to break the law. Just because you might put something illegal in YOUR hookah, does not mean the OP is doing the same.

Old 09-14-2009, 06:52 AM

871 posts, read 3,018,595 times
The sprinkler head in your case would have to be contacted by open flame, and heated to the point where the glass ampule breaks. Hookah smoke will not do that. NO smoke will do that, just heat from flame.

Old 09-14-2009, 09:48 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
Most Fire Sprinklers are Heat Activated... this is because Water can cause a lot of property damage... just imagine if the sprinklers activated every time the smoke alarm went off?

Be careful that the items you store in the closet are 12 to 18" away from the sprinkler head and never hang or tape anything to a Fire Sprinkler... it might trigger a discharge or impede the spray...

Old 09-14-2009, 01:55 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,481,404 times
Funny story about fire suppression systems.

When I was in college, a girl living in another apartment in my building was having a party and someone threw something that hit the sprinkler. Well, it hit just right to break that little ampule and the sprinklers started going.

It was 10:00 at night on a Sunday, in Utah, on a holiday weekend. Therefore, getting a maintenance guy out to turn it off was a bit of an issue. Everyone in the building was in her apartment with dustpans and garbage cans to help clean up and dump water.

It ruined pretty much anything that was on the floor, including several computers belonging to her roommates, and pretty much everything that was out on kitchen counters. A very good example of why it is good to have renters insurance.

Note: The sprinklers don't just spray water, they have a flame retardant chemical in them that stains everything black. It is very difficult to get off. We found lemon juice to work the best, but it was only ok.

Moral of the Story: As your mother taught you, don't throw things in the house.

Old 09-14-2009, 03:21 PM

2,071 posts, read 12,017,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles22 View Post

Where did the OP ask how to break the law?

Old 09-14-2009, 04:47 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paula Lynn View Post
Where did the OP ask how to break the law?
He's assuming hookah=weed.

I've smoked hookah for many years and if you use pot in it, the stank doesn't go away... A dumbass friend of mine learned this the hard way.

Personally, I prefer a mix of half milk half water in the bowl, and root beer shisha. Tastes like cream soda!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting