Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 03:55 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I so can't wait until I can retire, and move somewhere where I am just a tenant, and somebody else gets to deal with this stuff. I'm on the waiting list for my senior apt. Counting the days.
Hallelujah. Being an apartment complex manager seems not to be your forté.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2013, 04:25 PM

8,779 posts, read 9,454,139 times
if fire alarms are getting set off by boiling water you dont have proper ventilation for the stove area. you literally are trapping so much moister inside the device that the water from the vapor is completing the connection.

that should be the problem you are worrying about, not who calls who first

Old 06-24-2013, 05:33 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,665,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
911 first. Then call mgr.... maybe you need to send notices of that. Are they mentally handicapped people??
911 simply for an alarm going off with no smoke? I wouldn't tie up 911 for that.

Old 06-24-2013, 06:19 PM

584 posts, read 1,936,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
911 simply for an alarm going off with no smoke? I wouldn't tie up 911 for that.
so you would not be safe would not want you as a person next door

Old 06-24-2013, 09:47 PM

2,687 posts, read 7,410,495 times
Talking huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
LOL! The one who went outside is a lawyer. I think he may be the one who finally did call 911 though.

Turns out the problem was an elderly lady (at least 80, going on 90) who for some reason has 2 large pots of water boiling on her stove. The steam caused her alarms to go off, so she opened her door. Then the alarm in the hall went off. All from the steam.

The alarm went off again this morning, and I went to investigate, and found her with her door open and when I went to talk to her, the steam coming out of her apartment was crazy. She never wants to let me in, but this time I insisted because I said there's a problem in her apt and I'm worried about her. She was standing there with the alarm in her hand.

I've had the same problem in my apt when I open the windows and it's foggy out. For some reason, the humidity sets them off.I tried explaining to her that boiling water on her stove is causing the problem. She nodded and said yes, yes, but English is not her first language, and I can never get through to her about anything. So, no doubt she'll keep boiling water, and the alarms will keep going off. Maybe the steam is her secret to a long life?

I so can't wait until I can retire, and move somewhere where I am just a tenant, and somebody else gets to deal with this stuff. I'm on the waiting list for my senior apt. Counting the days.
that's funny...never heard of such a thing.
K

Old 06-25-2013, 03:26 AM

1,378 posts, read 4,363,255 times
The smoke alarm is going off but there is no sign of a fire. There must be something wrong with the alarm. Who could I call who might be able to handle the issue that lives in the building?

Old 06-26-2013, 09:07 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
Smoke alarms go off ALL THE TIME without it being a 911 emergency and I don't blame the people for hesitating since there obviously was no sign of smoke or fire. You, being an ONSITE MANAGER, are always the first line of defence. That's why you are onsite, otherwise why are you even there? The people did call 911, you can't complain, and yet you are....

Old 06-26-2013, 09:26 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,352,236 times
The reason that a complex has an on-site manager is to handle all of the tenant problems associated with their units and the building. Just because there was no obvious smoke does not mean that there was not a serious problem. Be prepared for this to be reported to management; and keep your phone on, especially if you do not pay any rent.

Old 06-26-2013, 09:44 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,260,457 times
Property management, who gets rent at either a discount or paid in full, is not an on call physician who took an oath to save lives.

What, exactly, was she going to do that one of the tenants couldn't? Call 911?

Common sense DOES have to come in to play at some point for the tenants, and I would guess that point would be when an outside (hallway) smoke detector is going off and you can't reach the PM. What if she was on vacation? What if the carbon monoxide had already knocked her out? Just a bunch of dumb tenants standing around with their thumbs up their behinds wondering what to do with an alarm going off? Sounds like it.

Managing a property does not make one a fire chief, electrician, plumber, carpenter, etc. Maybe the tenants of the building should have her job description in hand, b/c I HIGHLY DOUBT it involves going door to door when a smoke alarm in a corridor goes off. Too much liability to have an on-site PM take that on.

Last edited by Informed Info; 06-26-2013 at 09:54 PM..

Old 06-26-2013, 09:46 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,260,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wireyourworld View Post
What do their leases say?
Common sense overrides what a is stated in a lease.

Especially when 99% of tenants have NO CLUE what their lease states, and never will.

Hence all the questions regarding "what do I do, because THIS happened..." end up with responses such as: "READ YOUR DAMN LEASE"!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting