Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 01:28 PM

3 posts, read 48,942 times

Advertisements

Okay, here's the story:

My family and I used to live above these people but we moved into the unit next to them because my nephew liked to run around and play in the apartment. They always liked to complain about him. They even accused him of "kicking down their plants" when the pots that hold the plants in are really tiny (even wind could knock it over) and my nephew did not go out on those days they accused him of it (I even seen it knocked over on the days my nephew wasn't in the apartment). They always complain about us "stomping on their ceiling" as if we're doing it on purpose. I understand that it was our fault for being up so late at night. Anyway. We decided to argue back one time. It was a huge mess. The guy of that unit was trying to pick a fight with us. I horribly regret not getting him arrested for that. So after that, we moved next to them.

NOW that we live next to them, we hear EVERYTHING. Their kids are always crying and screaming. The pregnant one is always yelling at her kids and then followed by a big thump (I think she's throwing them against the wall?). I find that very hypocritical considering they used to complain about my brother and nephew fighting. I'm not exaggerating on the screaming and yelling. They litterally make noise every 2-3 hours from morning time to before 10pm. I remember I was coming home late, at like 2 am and I caught the guy of that unit smoking outside and I thought: "Maybe the people upstairs are keeping him up". Haha. I often hear him yelling at his kids too.

So my question is: can I complain back? They are causing quite a ruckus and they have, actually. Do I have the right to complain and take this to the landlord?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2013, 01:37 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,495,141 times
Wow. It's too bad when you went to all the hassle of moving, that you didn't move further away from these people.

Sure, you can complain.

Old 08-05-2013, 01:43 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,690,877 times
You can complain but there's not much that either can or will be done. Children play, children make noise and you say it goes up until about 10PM which isn't late. I'm totally confused why you would have moved next door to a family with whom you had so much trouble when living above them ...

Old 08-05-2013, 01:49 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,015,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queenly View Post
Okay, here's the story:

My family and I used to live above these people but we moved into the unit next to them because my nephew liked to run around and play in the apartment. They always liked to complain about him. They even accused him of "kicking down their plants" when the pots that hold the plants in are really tiny (even wind could knock it over) and my nephew did not go out on those days they accused him of it (I even seen it knocked over on the days my nephew wasn't in the apartment). They always complain about us "stomping on their ceiling" as if we're doing it on purpose. I understand that it was our fault for being up so late at night. Anyway. We decided to argue back one time. It was a huge mess. The guy of that unit was trying to pick a fight with us. I horribly regret not getting him arrested for that. So after that, we moved next to them.

Really? You have a history like that with this people so you move next door? While you wouldn't have had much luck getting him arrested, did you at least file a complaint with the landlord? At least you'd have documentation with them that he's hostile.

You are allowed to walk in your unit all day and all night if you so choose, they don't get to tell you when to go to bed. Nor do they get to tell you how to walk. Some people walk light, some walk heavy.

NOW that we live next to them, we hear EVERYTHING. Their kids are always crying and screaming. The pregnant one is always yelling at her kids and then followed by a big thump (I think she's throwing them against the wall?). I find that very hypocritical considering they used to complain about my brother and nephew fighting. I'm not exaggerating on the screaming and yelling. They litterally make noise every 2-3 hours from morning time to before 10pm. I remember I was coming home late, at like 2 am and I caught the guy of that unit smoking outside and I thought: "Maybe the people upstairs are keeping him up". Haha. I often hear him yelling at his kids too.

Kids are a tricky area when it comes to noise..while you can't complain about a baby crying, unruly kids might be a different story. Talk to your landlord..ask them if there is anything that can be done about the kids screaming all day. And before you accuse ppl of child abuse, you better have evidence.

So my question is: can I complain back? They are causing quite a ruckus and they have, actually. Do I have the right to complain and take this to the landlord?

As I said, talk to your landlord. Do not talk to your neighbors..do not knock on their door..do not confront them...talk to your landlord and let them tell you what they can do for you. You might want to consider moving to another unit. I can't believe you moved right next door.

We have three adults living below us; while you can't hear the noise from outside, (except when the loudest of the three is yelling into her phone on the patio), you can hear the noise in my unit. I sat down with my landlord and had a good chat, she agreed that the noise I am hearing is NOT daily living noise and is in fact, a violation of the lease. She contacted my neighbors and made it clear (she sent me a copy of the letter as well) that they are violating the lease with all their noise and if they continue their behavior, they will be evicted. They're quiet at church mice now

PS: This all happened within the first month of them moving in..I remember another neighbor telling me they moved in at midnight (thankfully, I was out of town) and they were told by others that this is a quiet building and we wont' tolerate their noise.

Old 08-05-2013, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
You can complain but there's not much that either can or will be done. Children play, children make noise and you say it goes up until about 10PM which isn't late. I'm totally confused why you would have moved next door to a family with whom you had so much trouble when living above them ...
I didn't have a choice. If I could move back to my old town, I totally would in a heart beat. But unfortunately, we couldn't find a place to rent back in my home town because they do credit checks, even for ghetto apartments. Lol.

Apparently, 10pm is late to them. They used to complain at 7pm-10pm saying that it's late. The dude even came upstairs at 9pm saying: "I'M TRYING TO GET SOME SLEEP. TELL YOUR KIDS TO STOP STOMPING ON MY F*CKING CEILING!" There was one time I was heavily walking at midnight, trying to make myself a snack and I acknowledge that it was my fault for moving around too much at night. Their excuse was that their kids are sleeping (which is a lie) or that they got work. So maybe it was our fault on that part.

Old 08-05-2013, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Really? You have a history like that with this people so you move next door? While you wouldn't have had much luck getting him arrested, did you at least file a complaint with the landlord? At least you'd have documentation with them that he's hostile.

You are allowed to walk in your unit all day and all night if you so choose, they don't get to tell you when to go to bed. Nor do they get to tell you how to walk. Some people walk light, some walk heavy.

We did and that's why we moved next door. Silly, isn't it? Lol. This apartment only has 4 units. The one next to us was already taken. The dude is very ignorant. He doesn't seem to know how to mind his own business because he got into a heated argument with the neighbors that used be next to me and now above me about God knows what. The neighbor above me shouted to the rude guy to mind his own business, lol. Oh and apparently, we should have my nephew in bed by 8pm like "normal people". He also made rude comments about our ethnicity. We did complain to the landlord, but the landlord decided to make rules AGAINST my family. This is from the paper she typed up and signed just for us: "Children are not allowed to climb the railing and play in the lanai. Supervise your children not to run around inside, outside the apartment and don't play in the garage or in between the car." This rule was established after our heated argument and I know this was towards us because that unit is the only unit with a balcony.

Kids are a tricky area when it comes to noise..while you can't complain about a baby crying, unruly kids might be a different story. Talk to your landlord..ask them if there is anything that can be done about the kids screaming all day. And before you accuse ppl of child abuse, you better have evidence.

[COLOR="rgb(0, 100, 0)"]I wouldn't accuse them of child abuse unless I see bruises. I do recall the pregnant lady screaming: "I told you to stay away from the closet doors!" and then a big thump (closing the closet doors, maybe?) Sometimes I'm not too sure if the kids scream because they are hurt or scream for the fun of it. Usually, the high pitched long scream comes first then the yelling follows. Usually.[/color]

As I said, talk to your landlord. Do not talk to your neighbors..do not knock on their door..do not confront them...talk to your landlord and let them tell you what they can do for you. You might want to consider moving to another unit. I can't believe you moved right next door.

[COLOR="rgb(0, 100, 0)"]I can't believe it either. Lol.[/color]
Thanks for your reply, I really appreciate it!

Old 08-05-2013, 03:11 PM

^^^ The main problem here seems to be that you're living in a cheaply constructed building!

Old 08-05-2013, 03:31 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,015,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
^^^ The main problem here seems to be that you're living in a cheaply constructed building!
Are you talking to me or the OP?

Old 08-05-2013, 03:34 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,596,420 times
If you think the children are being thrown against a wall shouldn't you call 911?

Old 08-05-2013, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Are you talking to me or the OP?
Well since I put those little ^^^ pointing up to the OP's post ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting