Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2013, 07:16 PM

28 posts, read 78,861 times

Advertisements

I saw this happen today, my wife and I were looking at a rental open house today and the landlord told us as we walked in that the previous couple handed her a deposit after they walked thru the house. I've never heard of this before, is this common?

I'm wondering what happens next? What is they are not what the landlord wanted once they go over the paperwork and application?

This also brings up another question. Our rental market is pretty competitive but no so where people are over paying just that places don't stay available long and we lost out on a place yesterday because we weren't fast enough doing the application. What can I do to help our chances? I mean we don't have the best credit but we wrote up a nice letter and have the printed out car form application that we could always bring with us and finish on site if we like the place? We have great rental history with the exception of our current slumlords that we will end up having to take to court. Beside that any help someone can suggest?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2013, 08:05 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,500,469 times
I would only give an application fee for the credit check and maybe a holding deposit of around $100, which it would state on the receipt I get back if not approved. Credit check fees are not refundable.

If they asked for more than that, personally, I'd walk.

Old 08-31-2013, 08:22 PM

From what the landlord said. She didn't ask for it. They his put it down to hold it

Old 09-01-2013, 07:59 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times
I never had anyone hand over hold money but I won't accept any hold money. You may not pass the credit check or someone may be more qualified.

Old 09-01-2013, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
I never had anyone hand over hold money but I won't accept any hold money. You may not pass the credit check or someone may be more qualified.
Same here. It could just create more work for me, and then I'd have to face a denied applicant in person to hand back the deposit - never fun.

I have given a good applicant an email saying they are first in line, if approved. It helps make them less nervous.

Old 09-01-2013, 09:29 AM

32,643 posts, read 48,028,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFreddie View Post
........... We have great rental history with the exception of our current slumlords that we will end up having to take to court. Beside that any help someone can suggest?
So, you have bad credit and a really bad landlord reference?

I do not accept a holding fee until after an applicant has been accepted. Why would I take a fee to reserve a house from someone I might not want as a tenant? That makes no sense to me.

All you can do, OP, is to keep looking and keep applying. If rentals are in tight supply, get out and look and apply as soon as they are advertised. Talk to management and ask what they use for rental criteria to select their tenant. That way you won't waste your application money on a house that you have no hope for.

Seriously, everyone else in addition to OP, if you have some sort of issue that landlords don't like, ask before you even go to look.

I can't tell you how tired I am of felons who lose their temper and threaten me, or whine and cry, when they are told I don't accept felons. They could have asked on the phone and not wasted their time and mine.

Old 09-01-2013, 09:30 AM

32,643 posts, read 48,028,221 times
Additional information: not all landlords select on a first come first served basis, but lots of landlords do it that way. They process applications in the order received and stop processing as soon as an applicant qualifies. So, it can be very important to get there with your application as early as possible.

Old 09-01-2013, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post

I can't tell you how tired I am of felons who lose their temper and threaten me, or whine and cry, when they are told I don't accept felons. They could have asked on the phone and not wasted their time and mine.
So true. When I have to put an ad on Craigslist (cringe) I am very specific in my ad that I run thorough criminal/credit/eviction/employment checks and they must all be clean/good.

They still try. I had to call the cops on one guy who kept coming back and banging on my apt door (resident manager here) claiming discrimination and threatening me. He was living with his sister, and then she started coming by and banging on my door and threatening me, cuz she wanted him out of her place. Was scary. He had no job and was recently released from prison. And yes, he replied to an ad that said he wouldn't be approved. Crazy.

This is why I wouldn't take a holding deposit. I don't want to have to face some scary angry applicant in order to give the deposit back. Even if I mailed it, they may come bang on my door. I don't want to give any of them false hope and face their wrath.

Old 09-01-2013, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
So true. When I have to put an ad on Craigslist (cringe) I am very specific in my ad that I run thorough criminal/credit/eviction/employment checks and they must all be clean/good.

They still try. I had to call the cops on one guy who kept coming back and banging on my apt door (resident manager here) claiming discrimination and threatening me. He was living with his sister, and then she started coming by and banging on my door and threatening me, cuz she wanted him out of her place. Was scary. He had no job and was recently released from prison. And yes, he replied to an ad that said he wouldn't be approved. Crazy.

This is why I wouldn't take a holding deposit. I don't want to have to face some scary angry applicant in order to give the deposit back. Even if I mailed it, they may come bang on my door. I don't want to give any of them false hope and face their wrath.
That makes complete sense. I wish more people were specific.

So many ads I call on just to see if they even for our needs and landlords just say " you really should come see" I never do. One of the questions I always ask is if the house has updated windows and I get that same answer. It's idiotic because these landlords are Just wasting both parties time

Old 09-01-2013, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
So, you have bad credit and a really bad landlord reference?

I do not accept a holding fee until after an applicant has been accepted. Why would I take a fee to reserve a house from someone I might not want as a tenant? That makes no sense to me.

All you can do, OP, is to keep looking and keep applying. If rentals are in tight supply, get out and look and apply as soon as they are advertised. Talk to management and ask what they use for rental criteria to select their tenant. That way you won't waste your application money on a house that you have no hope for.

Seriously, everyone else in addition to OP, if you have some sort of issue that landlords don't like, ask before you even go to look.

My credit is at 600. From my foreclosure in 2006.

I have excellent landlord references except from my current one which I've explained in the slumlord thread

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting