Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2013, 01:48 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times

Advertisements

A: Because We Can!

(Am I close?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2013, 01:53 PM

106,673 posts, read 108,856,202 times
Pick an expense, real estate tax increases, energy increases when they happen, a biggie is insurance, and every other expense that rises. in fact the same way an employee wants a cost of living increase a landlord wants one. we all have to eat and pay our personal bills too.

rises in interest rates too since commercial property has different loan terms than residential.

rises in the cost of living require raises to the landlord to eat and pay their bills. this is a livelihood the same as you or anyone else works to eat .

we all want the maximum income the markets will provide for whatever each of us does for a living.

should you not get a raise at work that is more than your expenses may have gone up? of course you should.

can you imagine your employer giving you a raise based on whether your expenses went up or down? you would quit. you want your raise regardless and you want what the market will allow .

Last edited by mathjak107; 09-12-2013 at 02:08 PM..

Old 09-12-2013, 01:58 PM

66 posts, read 149,484 times
I am actually curious to this. Why do landlords raise the rent on a tenant after the 1st year? Ours raised $100. We pay on time, aren't trashing the house and they know that because they did an inspection. And we pay ALL utilities, including garbage so they can't say that cost of utilities went up.

Insurance would be the only thing I could think of.

Old 09-12-2013, 02:00 PM

have your bills gone up ? how about medical insurance costs? food costs? this is a landlords livelihood to live on the same as anyone else who works for a living.

as the cost of living goes up so do rents when they can.

No different than anyone else who owns their own business tries to do.

but you can only raise rents to what markets will allow,. go higher than the markets and there is a good chance you will lose money being vacant....

everything has a price where it is no longer competitive.

Last edited by mathjak107; 09-12-2013 at 02:16 PM..

Old 09-12-2013, 02:30 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,073,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
A: Because We Can!

(Am I close?)
No, its because we have to.

As I wrote in another post:

I fail to understand why anyone would think their rent would not go up, private landlord or not. Over the last three years the inflation rate has varied from 1.6 to 3.6 percent, but it almost always goes up. there was a period in 1998 when it went down for a while, but that was the first time since 1950 that happened. Every landlord experiences cost increases, why would you think the landlord should just absorb those? Property taxes go up, insurance goes up, things wear out and have to be replaced such as roofs and HVAC systems, which are very expensive. I am a private landlord and I raise the rent I charge almost every year. I have skipped a few years when insurance and taxes did not increase but most years I have to raise the rent.

Old 09-12-2013, 02:38 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,756,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vampywolfgirl View Post
I am actually curious to this. Why do landlords raise the rent on a tenant after the 1st year? Ours raised $100. We pay on time, aren't trashing the house and they know that because they did an inspection. And we pay ALL utilities, including garbage so they can't say that cost of utilities went up.

Do you pay the property tax on the place? Or any HOA dues? There are other expenses connected to a house or apartment that don't include things for your own comfort and living (water, electricity, cable, etc...)

If those expenses have gone up...that means the LL takes an income cut if your rent does not go up.

Old 09-12-2013, 02:43 PM

912 posts, read 5,261,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vampywolfgirl View Post

You pay all the utilities, because thats what you use.. and that's what you should pay for.

I guarantee you that you don't pay property-taxes, or maintenance on the property, or the myriad of fees and expenses that the government just issues at will. Your fridge broke and your landlord bought you a new one? What about that nice HVAC unic that cost $4.5k to buy and install? You know a plumber won't even show up to check a problem out without at least charging you $150 for the visit.. plus an hourly fee and materials. That lawn won't cut itself either. And so on.. and so on.. and so on..

You partly paid for all of this, with your rent and rent increases.

Personally, if I have a great tenant, I'll do my best to not raise rent at all. An extra $50 a month won't matter too much to my bottom line, at least not as much as a great, happy tenant would. However, and as long as the local market allows, I will always raise rent in between tenants.

Old 09-12-2013, 04:30 PM

re-phrase your question to what causes wage inflation?

it is the same answer, supply and demand as everyone tries to earn a market allowable wage for whatever it is they do.

business owners are a little more in control and spending a few hundred thousand bucks on a property is buying a business.

want more control? put your own money at risk if you manage to get some and buy a business or a property .

Old 09-12-2013, 05:00 PM

1,263 posts, read 3,281,476 times
Why does any business raise prices? Landlords try to maximize their profits just like any other investor.

Old 09-12-2013, 05:06 PM

exactly, we all want to get the biggest bang for our invested buck or if we work for someone we want the biggest bang for our invested time.

no one is here to provide charity when it comes to what you do for a living..

there is some insane logic folks try to have that the rent has to be linked to only the expenses of the property . so if i pay off my mortgage i should only charge 1/2 the rent ?

that is just as insane as someone linking your pay check to your expenses instead of your performance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting