Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2013, 11:46 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
So its aginst the law in CA to have Yearly Leases After the 1st yr??
Just reading from my local Housing Authority provided leases covering my last 3 Section 8 rentals.

All have been with me over 20 years...

HUD policy and local law may or may not be similar... I'm not a lawyer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2013, 03:06 PM

1,263 posts, read 3,281,476 times
Quote:
No, but a landlord can choose to go month-to-month once the original year is up. It's an available choice.

Old 09-30-2013, 03:32 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
Quote:
Yep, not only is against the law to go month-to-month, but the landlord must do the annual lease renewing dance while wearing a kilt on the front lawn of the unit.

Zenvikings Scotland 24 Man Kilt Dance - YouTube

Old 09-30-2013, 04:39 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Yep, not only is against the law to go month-to-month, but the landlord must do the annual lease renewing dance while wearing a kilt on the front lawn of the unit.

Zenvikings Scotland 24 Man Kilt Dance - YouTube
Rather than a YouTube addition to a post which adds nothing, can you document for sure that Section 8 doesn't allow landlords to convert to month to month after the initial compulsory year's lease comes to an end? Of course you can't because that's simply not true.

If you're being sarcastic in the guise of interjecting an attempt at humor, then my bad for misinterpreting. Sometimes an attempt to interject humor is misplaced and falls rather flat which I think happened here.

Old 10-01-2013, 07:07 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
Ahhhh STT, humor is never a wasted effort.

Old 08-02-2017, 10:47 AM

1 posts, read 350 times
My landlord keeps referring to my contract about all kinds of things. I'm not sure what she's talking about. I've lived here about 5 years now and I haven't signed a contract. My 1 year lease was up and I never heard anything after that. Is it the contract with hud she's talking about. I guess I'm on moth to month.nobody anything. Shouldn't I know. Shouldn't I get a copy of the contract?

Old 08-02-2017, 11:09 AM

3,461 posts, read 4,704,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Woods View Post
My landlord keeps referring to my contract about all kinds of things. I'm not sure what she's talking about. I've lived here about 5 years now and I haven't signed a contract. My 1 year lease was up and I never heard anything after that. Is it the contract with hud she's talking about. I guess I'm on moth to month.nobody anything. Shouldn't I know. Shouldn't I get a copy of the contract?
You state you had a lease the first year. I am assuming that means a lease that you signed and agreed to. That is your contract. Nothing, except the dates and that it converted to MTM, changed regarding the terms and conditions of that signed lease unless you were ever notified of any changes during your last 4 years there.

And if you never did sign any lease when you first moved in, which I find highly unlikely, then why don't you just ask the LL for a copy of the contract they are referring to?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting