Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2013, 09:52 AM

90 posts, read 213,349 times

Advertisements

It hasn't happened yet but my past LL is kinda a nutter. I know the new tenants so I have a way to verify if the work was done or not. My question is, if my LL charges me $500 for a replacement blind that was broken when I moved in 3 years ago and I asked her to fix but never did because they are so costly. Dose she have to fix that item or can she just keep my money and charge the next person for the same broken blind? The blind cost $500 I looked it up and I had 3 other doors to enter from so she told me to use one of those doors and leave that blind alone.

And during the walk through my mother video typed the whole thing with ll OK she said everything was good. Can she now make a bunch of stuff up and try to charge me for it after the fact? I had 12 more days on my lease so I had plenty of time to fix any issues but she gave us the all clear?

Last question in NV the LL has 30 days to return the deposit dose that time start when you hand the keys over and the LL takes possession or when your lease is over! Like I said there is a 12 day difference and I want a proper time line if I have to take her to court. I'm trying to get all my ducks in order. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2013, 10:13 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,729,597 times
The 30 days starts from the day you return the keys to the LL.

If your LL should charge you to replace the blind which was broken when you moved in and which you asked to be replaced but which wasn't (and presumably you have this in writing or have other proof) then proof of replacement would legally have to be included with the return of the remainder of your security deposit by the LL. If this or any other cost is wrongfully deducted from your security deposit then you have the right to contest the deduction(s) in writing in accordance with your state laws.

Old 10-05-2013, 11:13 AM

I don't have any proof. I was young and believed the best in people so I asked when I saw her in person with my husband her husband and their grown son who dose the maintenance on their properties. She is very upset at me for not letting her double dip on the rent so I know she will try to stick it to me any way she can.

I just don't know if she can charge me and never fix the issue? It's seems like stealing to me but I'm not a LL I owned my own home at 20 then sold it at 25 now we rent till we find a place we want to settled down. I still believe the best in people but now I get proof.

Old 10-05-2013, 11:30 AM

32,664 posts, read 48,091,772 times
The clock starts on the refund when both conditions are met. You have vacated and returned the keys AND it is the end of the 30 cay notice period.

I hope you have photos taken when you moved in.

You can't really start complaining about deductions from your deposit until you get the accounting for your deposit. There is little point in getting all ticked off over deductions that the landlord hasn't made.

Old 10-05-2013, 11:38 AM

2,687 posts, read 7,412,200 times
Question back-up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrsacg View Post
I don't have any proof. I was young and believed the best in people so I asked when I saw her in person with my husband her husband and their grown son who dose the maintenance on their properties. She is very upset at me for not letting her double dip on the rent so I know she will try to stick it to me any way she can.

I just don't know if she can charge me and never fix the issue? It's seems like stealing to me but I'm not a LL I owned my own home at 20 then sold it at 25 now we rent till we find a place we want to settled down. I still believe the best in people but now I get proof.
I thought you said your mom video taped the walk-through? There's proof.
Koale

Old 10-05-2013, 12:47 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,729,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrsacg View Post

I just don't know if she can charge me and never fix the issue?
Read your state landlord tenant laws. As I noted earlier, just about all the states require that if any deductions are made from the security deposit they must be accompanied by documentation. In other words, if you are not provided a valid receipt for the blinds you can contest the charge. As far as the issue of the blinds being damaged when you moved into the unit, you can contest that if she does charge you for them and provides a receipt but when you have nothing in writing it's a "he said she said" issue which can go either way if it gets to court.

There's really no point concerning yourself with what might happen, just wait and see.

Old 10-05-2013, 02:05 PM

I know I should wait but she is upset at me and I want all my ducks in a row. Thank you all for your responses.

Old 10-05-2013, 08:43 PM

27,215 posts, read 46,772,227 times
The 30 days usually starts when the lease is over. If you gave the keys back and clearly stated you don't want to use the days you have left then the 30 days will start when you turn in the keys but all others and all personal property will need to be removed.

A slumlord may try to scam you for items, while a decent LL will not do it. Usually it happens if the relationship has gone south and keep in mind that almost 90% of bad tenants will consider the self "good tenants and leaving the place better then when they moved in".

Old 10-05-2013, 09:06 PM

Trust me we where great tenants. She even gave us a glowing review to our new LL and she started to cry when I told her we where moving. She got crazy on me when I asked for a pro rated rent only if she rented the home before the 30th. She started sending me crazy emails and trying to charge me for the following months rent even though our lease was up and I gave her a 45 day notice. She only got this way when I started talking money other then that she was not a slum lord just a crazy woman who did not like being asked not to break the law. We paid our rent 4-5 days before the first for 3 years paid out the butt with deposits and keeped the home in tip-top shape.

Old 10-06-2013, 06:09 AM

27,215 posts, read 46,772,227 times
Keep in mind that even a police offer once told me it is better to give good reference to get rd of a bad tenant then being honest and having the bad tenant stay longer...

That doesn't mean the tenant is a good tenant, but having said that you may be a good tenant and dealing with a LL who can't deal with the fact you left and not having income.

It would be the decent thing to do to give the rent back if someone moves in earlier then the time frame your rent payments were up, but it is not necessary to give it back, unless someone breaks the lease and is responsible for the rest of the lease and someone moves in and replaces the tenant.

If someone turns in a key and the lease ends at the 30th and on the 28th someone else moves in than it would be the right thing to return these 2 days rent but the law is not making the owner pay it back, the previous tenant could have hold on to the key until the 30th but didn't....usually making the owner having to start paying for the utilities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting