Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 10:19 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,990,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCoPee View Post
bump, they aren't giving the deposit back. They said it was her fault and that she should have asked if they allowed pets. They have no notices and the application didn't mention it. The application also didn't say that pets were allowed. Basically they said one day "you dont have any pets do you" after she already paid the deposit and then they said they arent allowed. Now we're trying to get the money back. Can someone tell me whose job it is to bring up pets? Shouldn't the apartment place have said something about it before they took her money.
What state was this in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2013, 02:51 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,018,824 times
Quote:
bump, they aren't giving the deposit back. They said it was her fault and that she should have asked if they allowed pets. They have no notices and the application didn't mention it. The application also didn't say that pets were allowed. Basically they said one day "you dont have any pets do you" after she already paid the deposit and then they said they arent allowed. Now we're trying to get the money back. Can someone tell me whose job it is to bring up pets? Shouldn't the apartment place have said something about it before they took her money.

When we applied here we asked right off the bat about pets. We didn't even have pets at the time, but were talking about getting a cat in the near future. No where on the application did say anything about pets, nor was it 'posted' in the office and it shouldn't be. I made sure I didn't waste my time (and money) filling out an application if they didn't accept pets. I also made sure there was a third floor unit available BEFORE I handed any money over.

If you have a pet (or plan on getting a pet) you ask the landlord right up front. This only my second time renting in 30 yrs and I knew to ask about pets. So to answer your question, it's the tenants job.

Old 11-14-2013, 02:53 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,018,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
What state was this in?

Confusion. Sorry, I couldn't help myself..it's early the coffee hasn't kicked in yet.

Old 11-14-2013, 11:46 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,063,260 times
Quote:
Yes! It was the landlords responsibility to make it clear that pets were not allowed. Write a letter demanding the return of the policy, if they do not comply, sue them in small claims court for the deposit and court costs, you will probably win a judgement against them. However you may also still have trouble getting collecting on that judgement if they let it go that far without returning it.

Old 11-14-2013, 01:24 PM

2,288 posts, read 3,238,540 times
I can see with the stress of looking for a place, filling out apps a person could forget. There's so many things to remember, like past jobs, phone numbers, etc. The poster who basically called OP a liar is out of line. Maybe its her daughters dog and that would make it easier to forget. I hope CaptRon is right, as I feel she should get the dep. back also. If its a non-smoking complex, don't they ask if you smoke?

Good luck OP, hope your mom gets the money back without a lot of trouble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting