Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2013, 09:34 AM

2 posts, read 2,583 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

This is my first post. I appreciate any participation.

Right now, my wife and I live together with 2 children. We have a 5 year plan on saving money, getting rid of debt, building credit, and moving up in my company. We wish to find a place we can live for the duration of these 5 years so that we don't have to worry about moving during the 5 year plan.

We wish to know whether it would be better to rent an apartments, where renewal is always a possibility, or to rent a home, where renewal is not so certain. I think the apartment route is best, but I thought maybe you could throw some pointers

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2013, 09:43 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
Renting a home is generally more expensive and you are right, it is less certain that the landlord won't decide to sell the house.

Old 10-26-2013, 10:55 AM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
There are noise issues in apartment buildings, and unless your children are exceptionally well behaved and quiet, you will put up with a lot of noise complaints directed at your family. You might also get complaints about your children playing outside.

A house is usually more expensive. However, if you can find a small cheap house, it it less likely that it will be sold while you live there, because those are generally investment houses.

If the small cheap house is sold, it is most likely to be sold to another investor who has bought it because it is already occupied by a good tenant.

Old 10-26-2013, 12:32 PM

639 posts, read 1,963,967 times
My sister is about to get married, and she plans to have kids and raise them in a small cheap house in a semi-rural area within driving distance of good jobs. I think that's a good plan for raising kids in a nice quiet area, without paying a ton. Have you ever lived in an apartment before? The noise level can be terrible, and since you have small kids you'll either be on the top floor, causing the noise and getting complaints, or on a lower floor and hearing everyone else's noise.

Personally I would rather live in a trailer on a 1 acre lot than a luxury apartment, but that's just me.

Old 10-26-2013, 12:40 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,688,447 times
I think you should find an area with good schools and find out what the rental options are. Nothing wrong with a family apartment complex with common playground, etc. I would prefer decent apartment on good school over rental house in marginal schools. Better quality people tend to gravitate to areas that are served by highly rated schools.

Old 10-26-2013, 12:58 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,864,509 times
The ideal would be to find a townhome style apartment with it's own small yard for the kids. I can't imagine raising children in a 'standard' apartment! I know some apartment complexes offer townhomes though, so that's what I would keep an eye out for

Old 10-26-2013, 01:10 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EYbarra2014 View Post
We wish to know whether it would be better to rent an apartment
...or to rent a home. My wife and I live together with 2 children
Unless you live in Manhattan or similar... rent a house.
Find the best price you can in the best school district you can.

Old 10-26-2013, 02:44 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
How long will it take you to save enough money for a downpayment on a house of your own? How fast is your savings growing towards the down payment you will need?

Quote:
How Much Down Payment Do I Need for a House?

If you obtain your loan under Federal Housing Administration auspices – the so-called “FHA loan,” you may get into a home with just 3.5 percent down. This still means you’ll need $7,000 in cash to put down on a $200,000 house,
If you live in a house, you might be able to save enough in 5 years, saving $1,400 per year.

If you live in an apartment, you might be able top save enough in 3 years, saving $2,333 per year.

Do the math.

Quote:
Down Payments for Conventional Loans

A conventional loan, in a nutshell, is any mortgage that doesn’t come with a federal guarantee. We’re back to the 5 percent to 20 percent down payment these days on conventional loans.
A 20 percent down payment on a $200,000 may be as much as $40,000 (20%).

If you live in a house, you might be able to save enough in 5 years, saving $8,000 per year.

If you live in an apartment, you might be able top save enough in 3 years, saving $13,333 per year.

Clearly your savings will grow faster while living in an apartment.

Old 10-26-2013, 05:41 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,500,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
How long will it take you to save enough money for a downpayment on a house of your own? How fast is your savings growing towards the down payment you will need?

If you live in a house, you might be able to save enough in 5 years, saving $1,400 per year.

If you live in an apartment, you might be able top save enough in 3 years, saving $2,333 per year.

Do the math.

A 20 percent down payment on a $200,000 may be as much as $40,000 (20%).

If you live in a house, you might be able to save enough in 5 years, saving $8,000 per year.

If you live in an apartment, you might be able top save enough in 3 years, saving $13,333 per year.

Clearly your savings will grow faster while living in an apartment.

Old 10-26-2013, 06:15 PM
jw2

2,028 posts, read 3,266,415 times
The house vs apartment decision may be impacted by the age and character of your children but just speaking economically, an apartment will not only save you rent money but utility and upkeep charges will be less, sometimes dramatically so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting