Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2014, 07:34 PM

1 posts, read 2,653 times

Advertisements

They have been living here almost a year. They are very nice. Their tv is another story. It wasn't like this always, only in the last few months.

I hear bass all night long. From 6-1am most nights. Non stop. No relief.
Bumbling muffled bass. It is absolutely maddening. And my bedroom is below theirs where their tv is.

I have resorted to wearing earplugs, and I do not like having the tv on all the time but tried keeping it on to drown it and it doesn't help at all. I still hear that bumbling buzzing bass from the tv.

Especially when there is a sports game on, it is absolutely above what I believe is acceptable in an apartment. Does sports mean it's ok? Because it's every few nights. Not limited to sports but sports and movies are the loudest.

It's causing me stress and there's been a couple nights where I couldn't sleep. A couple times due to slight vibration and the sound going through earplugs, and other times just being able to hear it through earplugs.

I feel so bad confronting them. I know it's their home as well. But it's driving me insane. The landlord says to talk it out between us first. They're so nice and I feel bad. I get it, they want to come home and relax with the tv on. But I can't relax, all I hear is this tv muffling and bumbling.

They bang and thud and slam often, but that doesn't bother me! It is nothing compared to this maddening bass sound. I don't even hear the bass when I'm outside my apartment door though. So I feel embarrassed to even bring it up. It travels.

Is this reasonable to confront them? I feel bad because they are entitled to enjoying their home and are so nice and good people. But I can't stand this. I feel tired of being tired and stressed hearing this noise all the time that I am home after work as well.

Please advise, thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2014, 07:40 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,992,709 times
If they're nice people, there's no reason not to talk to them about it.

Old 03-06-2014, 07:55 PM

1,107 posts, read 2,280,108 times
Maybe they could raise the tv off the floor with some kind of table that would keep the vibration and sound to a minimum. Or they could put some kind of pad or thick rug under it? or hang it on the wall? Or move it to a different room?

One thing my son did with a similar problem was to go out and get a box fan, and run it in his room all night. (energy efficient one).

Let us know what they say or come up with as this is a pretty common problem in apartment buildings.

Old 03-06-2014, 08:26 PM

2,775 posts, read 3,763,726 times
Bass is the worst. It cuts through white noise and other noise used to drown it out. If they are nice, try the diplomatic route. Sometimes it works, other times...

Old 03-06-2014, 09:49 PM

244 posts, read 667,889 times
What kind of a landlord won't take care of the problem? Why is it on you? Ask him again to talk to them as they are his tenants and not yours. As a tenant, I would be very annoyed that my landlord wasn't taking care of a problem that I had.

Old 03-07-2014, 04:26 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,729,597 times
Likely they have a new TV and don't realize the problem. And talking to the neighbors about it isn't "confronting" them.

Old 03-07-2014, 07:26 AM

912 posts, read 5,263,584 times
This is not an issue with the tv, it sounds like they've recently bought a new home theater system, and have their subwoofer turned up to max. Earplugs won't cut it, since you don't hear the heavy bass, you feel it.

Talk to them, most likely, they are simply unaware of how much of their bass you can hear in your home. I would suggest you ask them to put a movie/sports/music on, then invite them into your place so they can hear it for themselves.

I recently went through something similar with the tenant who lives downstairs from me, his little bookshelf speakers output a massive amount of bass, which bounces off the concrete wall, and the bass output from his speakers is 10-times stronger in my living room than it is in his own living room, where the speakers are located! Acoustics are funny that way.

I asked him a couple of times, and it didn't make much difference. So I turned my own subwoofer up to 11, and blasted him out for a full day (shaking the entire house). It's never been an issue since, he lowered his bass, I lowered mine back to "respectful" levels (level 1 or 2), and its been good ever since.

To recap..

1) Talk to them, they are most likely unaware of the sound they are creating.

2) Get the landlord involved if they won't address their bass output. Cite "quiet enjoyment laws".

3) Get your own subwoofer and blast them out. I suggest Reggae and Dubstep for starters, then google "subwoofer test" for maximun effect.

Good luck!

Old 03-07-2014, 09:31 AM

893 posts, read 886,668 times
Try to catch them outside or in the hall rather than knocking on the door. Some will take it better than if they feel "confronted'

With a smile and playful tone:

"Hey. How are you doing?"

Small talk, chit chat etc. Kind of make it seem like an "oh, by the way" thing.

"So..did you guys get a new TV?"

"Yes, yes we did"

"Boy, it sure sounds like a nice one. I wasn't sure if were aware but it has some mean bass coming out of it. Normally, I don't think it would be that noticable but for some reason.......................

If they are nice people, I'm betting they will work with you and will be apologetic.

Old 03-07-2014, 11:16 PM

8,779 posts, read 9,458,244 times
Sounds like someone got some new equipment.
You have no reason to not feel comfortable asking. They probably don't even realize
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting