Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 05:55 AM

9 posts, read 33,803 times

Advertisements

I recently signed a lease with a new landlord. I didn't notice this at the time, but it says on here for term; June 1st, 2014 to May 15th, 2015... I was told it was a 12 month lease, and I'm paying 740 a month, and it calculates the total contract is not less than $8880 which is 740 a month for 12 months.

I paid the full first and last months rent upfront, but is this legal? For this term the last month should be half the cost since is not a full 12 month lease, its an 11.5 month lease. The month before the last month would it be legal for me to pay half a months since it looks like I'm going to get scammed out of paying a full months rent for half a months living.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2014, 06:11 AM

Me and my wife are also in the armed forces, if this would better our situation... Also a side questions, if we were to get some orders mid lease that we were being relocated would we be refunded our security deposit and last months rent?

Old 05-30-2014, 06:13 AM

5,662 posts, read 10,745,652 times
Why don't you ask the landlord? Start with the assumption that it was a mistake and that you need an addendum to correct it. If that turns out to be wrong, ask why the last month was a full month's pay. If the answer sounds like BS, contact your local bar association and see if someone will give you advice for free.

Old 05-30-2014, 07:45 AM

13,130 posts, read 21,001,609 times
As stated, you need to ask your landlord the specifics. It could be an error, it could be the monthy rents is based on the total rent due for the total number of days of the lease term averaged out on a per month basis, it could be your last month will be prorated and extra monies paid refunded as required under your state law, etc, etc. Speak with the landlord.

Being in the militray will have no bearing on the rental terms and conditions that you agreed on. There is no "I'm in the militray" special exemptions to signing a legally binding contract.

If you receive order for a permenant change of duty stations, you will be protected by a federal law called the Servicemember's Civil Relief Act that limits your financial responsibility to a landlord. Your financial liability will be limited to at most 2 months depending on when you give notice. You may have additional protections in your state's Landlord Tenant laws.

Old 05-30-2014, 08:33 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
You signed it so it can be enforced. If it was an honest mistake, the landlord should be happy to sign an amendment, but if not, you will have to pay the full last month rent despite the short term because you agreed to it.

Old 05-30-2014, 09:37 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,481,404 times
I've heard of landlords doing this. The early termination is so that they have time to prep the unit for the next tenant. Usually, it is 3 or 4 days though, not 15 days. I'm not a supporter of this practice. In my opinion, downtime is a cost of doing business for a landlord, and not the tenant's problem. However, my not supporting it doesn't mean it isn't legal or isn't legally enforceable. It probably is, since you agreed to it.

So in short, probably legal despite being a shady practice.

To your other question, yes, if you were deployed or transferred long term (more than 90 days) to another base, I believe you have to provide written proof of that to your landlord, and they have to let you out of the lease. You still have to do the 30 day notice thing. If you are in a lease, it is through the end of the month following the notice (ie notice on June 15th is through July 31st). You would either apply your final month to your last month (since you still have to give notice, you would still have a final month), or get a refund of it, and your deposit should be handled as if you didn't break the lease (ie you'll still be charged for cleaning & damages, but no penalties). That is federal law (Servicemembers Civil Relief Act, I believe).

Old 05-30-2014, 11:22 AM

8,574 posts, read 12,414,714 times
Ask your landlord. There's a good chance that it's just a simple mistake.

Old 05-30-2014, 06:19 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,095,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post
Why don't you ask the landlord? Start with the assumption that it was a mistake and that you need an addendum to correct it. If that turns out to be wrong, ask why the last month was a full month's pay. If the answer sounds like BS, contact your local bar association and see if someone will give you advice for free.
Instead of the local Bar Association I would suggest going by the Base Legal Office. The experience I had when in the USAF was they were not only there to assist you but they actually enjoyed it especially if it appeared the service member was getting screwed over. Often just a letter from the Legal office would be enough because no landlord wants to get put on the 'banned' list for the base.

Old 05-31-2014, 05:49 AM

1,490 posts, read 5,986,140 times
Just ask if they are going to prorate the last month. I prorate first and last month's rent on the properties I manage.

Old 05-31-2014, 07:47 AM

Whats prorate the last month mean?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting