Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2015, 09:49 AM

1 posts, read 981 times

Advertisements

HHHEEELLLPPP!
I moved out of the State and my Landlord is now making up lies on the condition we left the house. She and her husband stopped by the last day we were there and walked the entire house. Didn't say anything was wrong and the husband said it was ok and to leave the keys on the counter. I had a feeling she would try something so I had the neighbors come to the house so I could have a witness of how we left the house which was perfect because we wanted our $5,000 back.

A month later and no money. I had texted her about it before and she said she was on vacation. I texted her again and left a message that we hadn't received our money and she wasn't responding to me anymore and I would have to proceed in putting a lean on the house. She called me right away and said that the house had to be painted because it smelled of dog, which it didn't and she had to hire a cleaning crew because it was a mess, which it wasn't either. She also said the front screen door had to be replaced because the frame was off and couldn't be fixed. I had told her when we lived there that it wasn't working properly and she never sent anyone to fix it.

So now she says she isn't giving us the money because she used it all up. What do I do to get it back? I'm in CA now and I knew she would do this. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2015, 10:14 AM

3,365 posts, read 5,243,031 times
What state was the rental in? Short answer you take them to court. Long answer after you provide the state.

Old 08-10-2015, 10:22 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,563,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aargumaniz View Post
HHHEEELLLPPP!
I moved out of the State and my Landlord is now making up lies on the condition we left the house. She and her husband stopped by the last day we were there and walked the entire house. Didn't say anything was wrong and the husband said it was ok and to leave the keys on the counter. I had a feeling she would try something so I had the neighbors come to the house so I could have a witness of how we left the house which was perfect because we wanted our $5,000 back.

A month later and no money. I had texted her about it before and she said she was on vacation. I texted her again and left a message that we hadn't received our money and she wasn't responding to me anymore and I would have to proceed in putting a lean on the house. She called me right away and said that the house had to be painted because it smelled of dog, which it didn't and she had to hire a cleaning crew because it was a mess, which it wasn't either. She also said the front screen door had to be replaced because the frame was off and couldn't be fixed. I had told her when we lived there that it wasn't working properly and she never sent anyone to fix it.

So now she says she isn't giving us the money because she used it all up. What do I do to get it back? I'm in CA now and I knew she would do this. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks!

What state?

Old 08-10-2015, 11:56 AM

13,931 posts, read 39,315,008 times
Hope you took pictures! Do you have documents on the door? Something like ... LL we just moved in & found the door is broken... & hopefully LL response in writing?

Old 08-10-2015, 12:29 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,401,123 times
Yup, photos, things initialed and signed.
Even nice landlords use up the security deposits in a pinch, I know some...then when it is due
they panic and then turn to lying...thinking ...you are just a renter and will
drop it after awhile...so many do give up.

I would be sending weekly registered letters with a "cc" to them, of the letter you wrote
your attorney friend.
Pls, tell me someone knows an attorney...of course, you can make one up...but that can be so easily checked...

Arnold, Moore and Associates, LLC, PC
1226 East Wellington Blvd.
Amherst MA 03126
See how easy...

When they see your persistence...and a solution presented in a note after a couple of letters...
"We understand you may not still have our sec dep...we will not be dropping this.
Perhaps you would like to get on a payment plan ...
say $75 a month until paid to us in full?
My uncle is an attorney so this can go on for awhile on our end.
He loves this kind of case."

But, that's 'me'.
So far I have gotten money from outta state (Galleries that LOVE to sell your work and then not pay the artist.)

After the second call..."Well, Robert, is this the correct spelling of your last name...
and you are in Arapohoe County, correct?"
"Yeah..."
"I just want to make sure for when the Sheriff drops in to see you."
"Whoa, wait a minute...."

I ALWAYS get paid...especially from buyers that owe me for the art mailed to them...
always out of state....and it's over 30 days...I tell them the Sheriff will be dropping by
their office.
I get paid so fast....can you
imagine co-workers seeing a uniformed Deputy hand delivering a letter.
It would cost me...but I have never had to do it.

And all done from your phone and at your desk...except for the registered letters.

Old 08-10-2015, 12:58 PM

2,687 posts, read 7,412,200 times
Default well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargumaniz View Post
HHHEEELLLPPP!

Thanks!
Did you take pictures? Did you sign a walk-though when you left AND a walk-through when you moved in?
You have to take some responsibility, right?
Koale

Old 08-10-2015, 01:02 PM

3,365 posts, read 5,243,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koale View Post
Did you take pictures? Did you sign a walk-though when you left AND a walk-through when you moved in?
You have to take some responsibility, right?
Koale
That all depends, if they missed the deadline to return the deposit or an itemized list for deductions then none of that matters. OP needs to figure out what that timeline is in the state the rental was in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting